ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old September 3rd, 2018, 10:39 AM   #1
luizzeross
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Luiz

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Camshaft Timing Question

Hi! I've just done a valve clearance job on this bike, but I'm having a hard time aligning the camshaft on it's place, for perfect crank/cam timing.

The manual says the notch has to be aligned on the 2T mark, and the outer EX/IN marks on the camshaft should be aligned with the head surface, but it seems impossible to do so. When I first disassembled the whole thing, I noticed it was not as the manual says, 100% perfectly aligned, and also, the previous owner did a camchain replacement at the dealership (which they did a horrible job, they even forgot to put the CCT gasket on it's place, leaking oil at the CCT...).

So, here are the pics of my engine top, for reference.

When the 2T mark is aligned with the notch, this is the closest I can get aligning the camshafts as the manual says so (first two pictures). It's slightly not aligned.

When the 2T mark is a bit off, the camshafts align perfectly (last two pictures).

My doubt is: it should align 100% straight, perfect with the engine head surface, or is it only a reference? My bike has F.I., and I don't know if that changes anything with crank/cam timing.

Before anything, I should say that I googled everywhere and saw some pictures of other bikes aligned, and that this is not my first time doing valves on a bike, I already did it two times on my car and previous bikes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg collage_camcshaft_ninja250_2012.jpg (123.3 KB, 20 views)
luizzeross is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2018, 03:46 PM   #2
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
You're fine. You're overthinking this.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2018, 04:37 PM   #3
pb3
ninjette.org member

Name: parker

Motorcycle(s): 09 n250, 14 n300, 22 n400

hey welcome.
i too just finished this for a 2nd time on my '09. i also agree you're splitting hairs with regard to the very small degree difference. only thing that concerns me are where are the white paint marks on the cam sprockets? have those been replaced? every photo i've seen shows the exhaust and intake sprockets with white paint marks on the alignment.

actually, i recall the intake cam lobe closest to the camera should be at the 4 o'clock position. you sure you're timed correctly?

if in doubt, google is your friend.
pb3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2018, 06:19 PM   #4
maverick9611
"a legend in my own mind"

Name: maverick9611

Motorcycle(s): 2015 moto guzzi norge(brownie),2020 aprilia dorsoduro,

MOTM - Feb '18
actually i had the same problem. go to post #17 and your answer will be there.
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=304821

Old September 5th, 2018, 06:22 AM   #5
luizzeross
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Luiz

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
You're fine. You're overthinking this.
I think you're right. As a perfectionist, I tend to overthink a lot. This is a hell to me, since I'm always afraid to mess the car/bike I'm working. Thanks for the reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb3 View Post
hey welcome.
i too just finished this for a 2nd time on my '09. i also agree you're splitting hairs with regard to the very small degree difference. only thing that concerns me are where are the white paint marks on the cam sprockets? have those been replaced? every photo i've seen shows the exhaust and intake sprockets with white paint marks on the alignment.

actually, i recall the intake cam lobe closest to the camera should be at the 4 o'clock position. you sure you're timed correctly?

if in doubt, google is your friend.
About the marks, my model is assembled in Brazil, so, here they doesn't have those white dots like others I've seen on Google. But, the EX and IN lines are marked light blue, the outside marks that should align to the engine head.

Also, they're timed just like this:

The EX mark on the exhaust cam to the outer left and the IN mark on the inlet cam to the outer right. The crank is at the 2T mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick9611 View Post
actually i had the same problem. go to post #17 and your answer will be there.
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=304821
I'll take a look. Thanks!
luizzeross is offline   Reply With Quote