ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 23rd, 2011, 10:23 PM   #1
Clearlynotstefan
ninjette.org member

Name: Stefan

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250, Totally black. Gsxr 600 Red.

Stuff to do to bike

So I've decided not to go nuts upgrading my ninjette, I simply don't have the money, and it runs and looks great to me, which is awesome. Heres my concern, Its got stock tires on it, and from what I understand, they blow. Also, I'm 220 lbs (and 6'5 and find this bike REALLY comfy btw) and am considering putting a sv650 shock on the rear. My friends that ride say it will make a world of difference, I'm broke right now and hesistant to spend any money I don't have to. I have solid evidence I need a tighter rear suspension, in the fact that my licence plate is shaped like a C from hitting my rear tire!

If I spend the $40 on the 650 shock, will it really improve the feel of the bike that much? If so, should I still spend the money on some new tires?
If you had just enough money to replace either the tires or the rear shock, which would it be?

and finally, IF I decide to replace the tires, I'm down to a few choices. Please base your opinion on Grip/Price/Longevity
Sport Demons
BT45's
MT75 - Which im a bit afraid of because I'm already too tall for this bike!

Sorry for so many questions, but look forward to all your opinions!
Clearlynotstefan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2011, 10:35 PM   #2
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

All I have to say is if you're tires are stock they're 11 years old and are due for a change for sure.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2011, 12:47 AM   #3
Clearlynotstefan
ninjette.org member

While I agree they need to be replaced, what is more important, the year, or the miles? The bike has 3500 miles on it, but the tires are none the less 11 years old. HOWEVER, when closely examining them, I noticed not a single sign of dry rot.
I have so many questions to post later regarding tires, its all so confusing! Ah hell lets get one over with now

I am starting to like the looks of the MT75's, but they will lower my bike slighly. Will putting the sv650 shock on the rear (raising the rear) offset this?

Old April 24th, 2011, 07:04 AM   #4
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

the stock rim protecters are rocks, they'll last 20,000 miles so leave them. i'm the online MT75 pusher but you might want to go the extra inch, it's important for your size. first thing is definetly get a rear shock. gt501 tires are race (expense) tires but firm in the middle which would suit you on the road, and still beautifully soft on the sides for strong cornering when you're down with that. these bikes do not need upgrades in general, they're all prop luxuries. save your hard earned cash and just ride brother ride.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2011, 07:12 AM   #5
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Cool

New tires will likely provide better result than SV650 rear shock.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2011, 07:14 AM   #6
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Super Sherpa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearlynotstefan View Post
While I agree they need to be replaced, what is more important, the year, or the miles? The bike has 3500 miles on it, but the tires are none the less 11 years old. HOWEVER, when closely examining them, I noticed not a single sign of dry rot.
I have so many questions to post later regarding tires, its all so confusing! Ah hell lets get one over with now

I am starting to like the looks of the MT75's, but they will lower my bike slighly. Will putting the sv650 shock on the rear (raising the rear) offset this?
The age of the tire is more important than miles. After about 4 years or so, the rubber starts degrading and weakening. If in fact you do have 11 year old tires, then get them replaced ASAP, broke or not. Check the date code on the tires: it will be a series of numbers on the side wall, something like this: XXXX4306. The 43 means weak 43 of the year 2006.

Here is a link to explain:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4621263_read...ate-codes.html

BTW, get the sport demons - they are awesome.

Also, check your brake pads and consider a brake fluid flush.
Too40gawlf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2011, 10:05 AM   #7
Clearlynotstefan
ninjette.org member

just did a brake fluid flush last week! haha thanks for the help

Old April 24th, 2011, 10:21 AM   #8
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

Old rubber is gets hard and brittle regardless of what it looks like, and the tires lose their grip on the road. This is a safety issue, those tires are 5 years past replacement so get new ones ASAP.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #9
Clearlynotstefan
ninjette.org member

but which ones! ahhhhh

Old April 24th, 2011, 11:04 AM   #10
"A"
vampire

Cool

Quote:
but which ones! ahhhhh
Any new tire would likely produce good result in comparison to 11 yr old tires.

Old April 24th, 2011, 12:27 PM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Agreed.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2011, 05:55 PM   #12
Clearlynotstefan
ninjette.org member

Alright, I appreciate the help guys, but really. I'm ordering tires tonight. WHAT AM I ORDERING lol

Obviously the sport demons are highly reviewed. Whats the life on them like tho?

The BT45's are cheaper then the SD's, does anyone have experience with them perhaps? Grip/life?

and the MT75s, which are the cheapest, and have great grip, but will lower my already low bike, and wear easily.

HELP!

Old April 24th, 2011, 06:04 PM   #13
"A"
vampire

Cool

Personally, if you're not doing aggressive riding all the time, you have roads like my area that's full of potholes and rough pavement, I'd just go with less expensive tires..
Get to know your new tires' performance limits well in an empty parking lot and get to know how hard you can push them, more than likely that's further than you would push them on public roads.

Old April 24th, 2011, 06:07 PM   #14
cwb48
Mature motorcyclist

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, blue

Sport Demons

Get the Sport Demons in stock sizes. I had them on my '01 and they were a huge improvement over the stock Dunlops. BTW, the OEM tires were available, so they might not be that old.

Chris
cwb48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2011, 06:12 PM   #15
phr3ek
meow?

Name: kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 636

i would go for the shock first

as long as the tires have life in them, they are good and shouldnt be replaced unless you want more performance out of them

getting the shock in also stops the plate from hitting the tire causing premature, uneven wear

fix your suspension and the tire will last longer than it used to
phr3ek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2011, 08:57 PM   #16
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by phr3ek View Post
i would go for the shock first

as long as the tires have life in them, they are good and shouldnt be replaced unless you want more performance out of them

getting the shock in also stops the plate from hitting the tire causing premature, uneven wear

fix your suspension and the tire will last longer than it used to
His tires don't have life in them though, they're 5 years overdue. The tires are what connect him to the road so for safety reasons, they should be replaced first. The tires will also have a bigger impact vs what he's riding on now.

You might be able to find a newgen shock at a salvage yard for cheap. I believe it's a direct swap as well and is said to be a good upgrade. So my answer would be to upgrade both
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2011, 09:00 PM   #17
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

you can't ride on tires that old. It's just dangerous. Especially on the island between the chemicals and salt all over the roads in the springtime, and 11 years of weather cycles...
CynicalC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2011, 10:32 PM   #18
Clearlynotstefan
ninjette.org member

We don't know btw that the tires are actually 11 years old. It's perfectly reasonable the they were replaced with the identical tires at some point. I havent checked the tire code yet, so I'll know tomorrow. They are def the same tires as the stock tires that came on the bike

Old April 25th, 2011, 07:05 AM   #19
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

Why start this whole thread and discussion without first checking the date stamp on the tire sidewalls which you know exists? Simply, if the tires are more than 6 years old, replace them, and then later, because of your weight, if you want to go for a heavier shock, do that too. You will find arguments and preferences for each brand, there is really not much difference in them, you sacrifice longevity for road stickiness. Get what you can comfortably afford, it's much better than what you have on now. When you get more knowledgeable about the bike and if you still have it, next time you buy tires, you will get what you think you want.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2011, 09:31 AM   #20
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

The date code may be only 3 digits. If so, the first two digits are still the week of the year, and the last digit is the year from 1990 - 1999.

Although, as has been stated in this thread pretty clearly, if any tire has a 3 digit date code, it's almost certainly past its usable life anyway.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2011, 08:52 AM   #21
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

I just assumed the tires aren't 11 years old with the full description of them. As for tires it's a shame Conti's aren't made in our sizes anymore (i think). They were great riding tires, inexpensive, soft compound but lo and behold demand controls supply and the sizes we need are no longer listed under "road attack" or some such name. It's been awhile and as anyone that reads me knows it's MT75 or nothing (actually take the 500 til' they come in. But to put another player in the game, continentals are players.

Old April 27th, 2011, 08:35 PM   #22
Clearlynotstefan
ninjette.org member

Why do you prefer those tires?

Old April 28th, 2011, 07:10 AM   #23
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

I actually prefer Kenda K671s. They're a great all-around tire with excellent life and stick way better than the OEM Dunlops ever could. They are also really affordable. I get 18-20K out of the rears and well over 20K on the fronts. The last time I got a pair they were like $110 for the pair, shipped.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2011, 03:38 PM   #24
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Why do you prefer those tires?
they were made with the ninja 250 rim in mind and for inexpensive racing tires for the bike, they have a great soft compound. at one time several tires fit the rims but alas not enough demand went for them. pirelli is one of racing and tires top names and they kept the MT75's, thankfully. nowadays many adjust and use the GT501's for the track as they last much longer and are safer, with soft outer compound but a bit harder middle for speed and endurance. i've run BT45's and the GT501's after my first set of MT's and went back to them for fit, feel (for me), and price.

Old May 1st, 2011, 08:17 AM   #25
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Should I bring up the Pirelli scooters.......