ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 9th, 2015, 08:20 AM   #41
maverick31210
Rides in shorts.

Name: Laurence

Motorcycle(s): 2004 250

@cbinker

I was typing on my tablet last night so not many details but that's what it cost.

I called around all local shops and like I said, they all wanted at least $24. I work in the auto business, I know how much work is involved in changing a tire so right off the bat, I'm like "nahhh".

I kept calling around and found a place that closed at 7 (I'm off at 5 so it gave me time to get home, pull the wheels off and take it down to the shop). The place is just a little tire and rim shop, did it no problem.

Supposedly, you need a special attachment for the tire machine in order to do motorcycle tires. This is not true, it's the same thing. You need a special attachment to balance them not mount them.

It was an extra $2 per tire for disposal, so if we're splitting hairs, $9 per tire. Not bad at all in my book.
maverick31210 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2015, 04:55 PM   #42
Mike V
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R, 2014 CBR650F

I too was surprised with the acceleration. Things seem to flash by so much quicker when you're on a motorcycle. Everyone told me it's a slow bike and I'd want to upgrade in a short time but after a month or so, I'm still enjoying it!
Mike V is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2015, 06:04 PM   #43
maverick31210
Rides in shorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
I too was surprised with the acceleration. Things seem to flash by so much quicker when you're on a motorcycle. Everyone told me it's a slow bike and I'd want to upgrade in a short time but after a month or so, I'm still enjoying it!
For street riding, the 250 is perfec . You really don't need a whole lot more. You will get bored and want to upgrade when you feel like you've out skilled the bike but that takes many, many, thousands of miles and even then you might not feel that need.

Old September 11th, 2015, 06:19 PM   #44
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick31210 View Post
For street riding, the 250 is perfect . You really don't need a whole lot more. You will get bored and want to upgrade when you feel like you've out skilled the bike but that takes many, many, thousands of miles and even then you might not feel that need.
I completely agree with both you guys! I’ve had my 750cc 3-cylinder K75 for 13 years: it’s a great traveling machine. But I must admit my 250 is more enjoyable for bombing around town.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2015, 07:34 PM   #45
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I will say though: the 250 gets really boring if you live out in the corn fields...
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2015, 09:01 PM   #46
anarchyx34
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 04 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
@anarchyx34

Step 1: Order tires and have them shipped to me in Trumbull, CT.
Step 2: Ride up here one nice weekend day before it gets too nasty out.
Step 3: Have me put the tires on for you. I have a tire changer. No charge.
Step 4: Go for a ride and a burger or some wings.
Step 5: Go home having had a nice outing and made a new friend.

There aren't that many more weeks of good weather. Let me know if you'd like to do this.
Thanks for the offer, but I'm not sure I'll be ready for a ride all the way to CT, at least not this season. I haven't even gotten on a highway at all yet. Maybe when I burn through this set of tires I'll gladly take you up on your offer.
anarchyx34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2015, 09:03 PM   #47
anarchyx34
ninjette.org member

Quote:
For street riding, the 250 is perfec . You really don't need a whole lot more. You will get bored and want to upgrade when you feel like you've out skilled the bike but that takes many, many, thousands of miles and even then you might not feel that need.
I don't think I'll bore of it quickly because where I live city traffic speed is about 25-30 mph, 40mph at the most. The highways go from anywhere from 45-60mph.

I've owned several fast cars around here and there really is no use for them. Same deal. They can never really stretch their legs.

Old September 12th, 2015, 05:47 AM   #48
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchyx34 View Post
Thanks for the offer, but I'm not sure I'll be ready for a ride all the way to CT, at least not this season. I haven't even gotten on a highway at all yet. Maybe when I burn through this set of tires I'll gladly take you up on your offer.
You have a car? Take the wheels off the bike and drive

Old September 12th, 2015, 06:00 AM   #49
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
........... Now of course that's all well and good for planned stops but I don't have the muscle memory yet to do the same during unplanned ones............
Please, take a look at these:

https://ninja250forum.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=904821

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=114372

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show....php?p=1030919

http://www.motorcycle.com/rider-safe...nce-91333.html

I strongly recommend you reading these three books:

"Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well" (Revised 2nd Edition) by David L. Hough

"Ride Hard, Ride Smart: Ultimate Street Strategies for Advanced Motorcyclists" by Pat Hahn

"Total Control: High Performance Street Riding Techniques" (2nd Edition) by Lee Parks

Reference for more good books:
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=77578
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old September 12th, 2015, 06:18 AM   #50
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
@anarchyx34

Step 1: Order tires and have them shipped to me in Trumbull, CT.
Step 2: Ride up here one nice weekend day before it gets too nasty out.
Step 3: Have me put the tires on for you. I have a tire changer. No charge.
Step 4: Go for a ride and a burger or some wings.
Step 5: Go home having had a nice outing and made a new friend.

There aren't that many more weeks of good weather. Let me know if you'd like to do this.
F'n-a right now that rox

Old September 12th, 2015, 09:24 AM   #51
anarchyx34
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
You have a car? Take the wheels off the bike and drive
I could do that but I have no where to put the bike sans wheels.

I also just realized that I ordered Kenda K671's 130/90-16 rear, 100/90-16 front but the bike has 130/80/16's and 100/80/16's. Is the taller tire going to be a big deal?

Old September 12th, 2015, 02:43 PM   #52
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
I could do that but I have no where to put the bike sans wheels.

I also just realized that I ordered Kenda K671's 130/90-16 rear, 100/90-16 front but the bike has 130/80/16's and 100/80/16's. Is the taller tire going to be a big deal?
It's got a center stand, use an emergency jack from your car and a block of wood for under the engine. It's stable that way, but do be a little careful not to bump it.

nah, the 90 profile tire is a common choice for pregens. The front makes the speedo accurate, the rear has about the same effect as changing to a 15T front sprocket.

Old September 13th, 2015, 09:42 AM   #53
anarchyx34
ninjette.org member

Quote:
It's got a center stand, use an emergency jack from your car and a block of wood for under the engine. It's stable that way, but do be a little careful not to bump it.

nah, the 90 profile tire is a common choice for pregens. The front makes the speedo accurate, the rear has about the same effect as changing to a 15T front sprocket.
Good to know. I won't need to send them back afterall.

Turns out one of my friends has all the equipment in his garage. I should have figured since he has like 6 bikes and goes to the track regularly.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 13th, 2015, 06:07 PM   #54
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Just put bike on centerstand, tilt bike one side at a time and use small blocks of wood under the centerstand legs. No need for jacks.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2015, 06:21 PM   #55
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
Just put bike on centerstand, tilt bike one side at a time and use small blocks of wood under the centerstand legs. No need for jacks.
How's he going to get both wheels off for tire change if he doesn't use a jack under the engine to get the front wheel off the ground?

Old September 14th, 2015, 07:28 AM   #56
"A"
vampire

Quote:
How's he going to get both wheels off for tire change if he doesn't use a jack under the engine to get the front wheel off the ground?
Cinder block or milk crate under the fork legs could easily support the front end when the wheels are off the bike.
Just have a mate hold the up the front end by the rear passenger handle before taking off the front wheel and placing a block under the fork legs.

Old September 14th, 2015, 10:57 AM   #57
maverick31210
Rides in shorts.

Quote:
I don't think I'll bore of it quickly because where I live city traffic speed is about 25-30 mph, 40mph at the most. The highways go from anywhere from 45-60mph.

I've owned several fast cars around here and there really is no use for them. Same deal. They can never really stretch their legs.
Oh yeah, you'll be fine.

I live in SoCal where highway speeds are higher. The bike does fine on the freeway but I'd prefer a 600RR that's just me though. I tend to ride faster than I'm supposed to and with the 250 I feel like I'm always wringing its neck.

Old September 14th, 2015, 11:27 AM   #58
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
with the 250 I feel like I'm always wringing its neck.
Then you're doing it right!

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2015, 11:32 AM   #59
maverick31210
Rides in shorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
Then you're doing it right!
LOL....seriously.

I add oil to it like once a week to make sure it doesn't get too low and burn up. The thing lives in the 10-13K range.

Old September 14th, 2015, 11:51 AM   #60
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

Quote:
I tend to ride faster than I'm supposed to and with the 250 I feel like I'm always wringing its neck.
That's how you're supposed to ride it! That's part of the fun. Get a 600RR and you'll never be able to go wide open on the street in second gear or higher without being in jail speeds.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2015, 12:01 PM   #61
maverick31210
Rides in shorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralgha View Post
That's how you're supposed to ride it! That's part of the fun. Get a 600RR and you'll never be able to go wide open on the street in second gear or higher without being in jail speeds.
Yeah I know that but I'd just like more on tap for the freeway. Keep in mind, I've had the 250 since 2006.

It's not going anywhere, I commute on it daily but I'm just eyeing a 600. I'd like the extra power and even more so the upgraded brakes and suspension.

It's not an emergency or anything, the 250 is treating me well. If anything I'll start looking more aggressively in the winter.

You know how it is...dude bought a bike back in like 05-07, barely rode it and now the old lady is beating him up to get rid of it because she doesn't have enough room for her Camry in the garage.

That's when I'll swoop in...

Old September 14th, 2015, 12:04 PM   #62
dcj13
Participant

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
If anything I'll start looking more aggressively in the winter.

You know how it is...dude bought a bike back in like 05-07, barely rode it and now the old lady is beating him up to get rid of it because she doesn't have enough room for her Camry in the garage.

That's when I'll swoop in...
That strategy works even better in places with crummy winter weather!

Old September 14th, 2015, 12:11 PM   #63
maverick31210
Rides in shorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj13 View Post
That strategy works even better in places with crummy winter weather!
I'm sure it does...

The thing with SoCal is that dedicated riders will ride all year round since we don't have a true winter.

The guy who bought a bike ten years ago and barely put 5K miles on it, is not that guy so he rides it even less in the winter when it's colder and we get some rain.

Old September 14th, 2015, 07:13 PM   #64
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
Cinder block or milk crate under the fork legs could easily support the front end when the wheels are off the bike.
Just have a mate hold the up the front end by the rear passenger handle before taking off the front wheel and placing a block under the fork legs.
That works I guess, but I typically work alone.

I took a 1" spade bit, put a hole in a 4" section of 2x4, then put the bolt for the oil filter into the hole in the block of wood and jack it up with the emergency jack from a car we totaled. This method also works great for carefully supporting/lifting the engine back up when you take the mounts off for a valve job/other engine work, or when you want to carefully lift the front to measure your static sag while setting preload, or when you want to take the forks off the bike completely.

Old September 15th, 2015, 04:05 AM   #65
"A"
vampire

Of course it works.

Ninja 250 is not a heavy bike, doesn't need much to support/secure it for work to be done on it.
Just readily available objects like cinder/wood blocks, bricks, milk crate can easily balance/support the bike. No need to spend time to fabricate stuff.

I even use the same method to support my CBR1100XX when I get both wheels off, never fails. If working alone, just place something heavy on the passenger seat and the front end comes off the ground while the bike is parked on centerstand.

Old September 15th, 2015, 05:11 AM   #66
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralgha View Post
Absolutely true.

The extra power of my 750 is great for passing NOW, and the suspension is nice --- though at street speeds it never really gets to work as it should. The first time I ever felt the suspension talking to me was at the track, riding at a pace that would be idiotic on the street. I've also got the suspension dialed for the track, so it's pretty harsh on the street.

Having ridden both (and I really love both, for different reasons) I can say that a full-on supersport is less engaging to ride on the street, because you don't have to shift and don't have to plan passes. You're never -- ever -- in the zone where the bike truly comes alive. You don't work the gearbox or clutch very much.

That's why my Ninjette had character that the GSXR lacks. It's precisely because the bike wakes up at speeds that are realistic on the street. To get a supersport there, you have to be going a lot faster.

And yeah... i rode it around at 10k+ all the time. The bike loved it and so did I.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2015, 08:14 AM   #67
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14

Old September 15th, 2015, 11:09 AM   #68
michvin
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Honda CB 500x

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
^ If you want to learn and practise something safe and easy before your MSF I have little braking routine you could try:

This is something you can use every time you are gently coming to a stop. For the last few metres (when you've completely disengaged the clutch) use just the rear brake to slow yourself down. While you're applying the rear brake, keep your eyes up ahead of you (helps with balance). Take just your left foot off the peg and then straighten your leg and stretch it out in front of you.

When the bike is almost completely stopped, bring your [still straight] leg down. The first part of your foot to touch the ground should be just your heal. As the bike roles forward those last inches, you can role the front of your foot down to the ground and allow your knee to bend. Once you're stopped you can let your left leg take the weight of the bike.

If you do this simple technique it looks and feels very smooth! Nice thing is, you can learn this at very slow speed.

Once you've mastered it, take note of how many riders you see that can't gracefully come to a stop and then come back and thank me
Just don't forget to shift down to first. You'd want a graceful takeoff after a graceful stop
michvin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2015, 12:37 PM   #69
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by michvin View Post
Just don't forget to shift down to first. You'd want a graceful takeoff after a graceful stop
Off from 2nd
chug, chug, chug ... stall
horn beeps
"get the f*** off the road"
more horn beeps

Yep... 1st gear needed

Old September 15th, 2015, 12:53 PM   #70
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
nahhhh, more like:

*takes off in second. Notices it isn't going like normal. Revvs the piss out of it and slips it longer. Makes mental note to self to downshift next time.*

Old September 15th, 2015, 12:55 PM   #71
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
^ you make your clutch plates pay for your own mistakes! That's cold

Old September 15th, 2015, 01:35 PM   #72
dcj13
Participant

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
nahhhh, more like:

*takes off in second. Notices it isn't going like normal. Revvs the piss out of it and slips it longer. Makes mental note to self to downshift next time.*
That's been my experience. As long as you're not starting on a hill, it's not so bad. Do make that mental note, though...

Old September 15th, 2015, 02:58 PM   #73
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
^ you make your clutch plates pay for your own mistakes! That's cold

Actually, that's hot! Friction, dawg.

Old September 17th, 2015, 06:37 AM   #74
QuickSiR
ninjette.org member

Name: Maxime

Motorcycle(s): Honda 599

Quote:
I ran it to 8k rpms in 3rd gear and nearly **** myself. I don't understand how anyone can think this bike is slow. I can't even imagine a 600cc bike. I've owned and driven many fast cars, but this was awesome. And my god that SOUND! To think I still had 5k rpms left to go!
I was the same when I had my 250R (before it got stolen). I thought "How can people say this is slow. I don't need more power then that! I can keep up with traffic just fine".

Then my 250R got stolen and I was without a bike for a month. I bought a 2006 Honda CB600 (599 Hornet) to replace it. My first thought was... damn that throttle is sensitive. Sure the new bike is fast but I didn't realize how much faster until I test drove another 250R that my friend just bought.

First, the throttle was so vague and unresponsive compare to the 600... and it felt like I was towing a 3000lbs trailer... it was sooooo slow.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... it's all relative. If you keep the 250R you will be very happy and love it. I know I was. I had no plans of replacing my 250R until life decided otherwise.
QuickSiR is offline   Reply With Quote