ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 8th, 2009, 09:25 PM   #1
ShelbyOne
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 250R

Factory chain question?

Is it possible to remove a link from the factory chain?
If so.... What tools are needed?
ShelbyOne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #2
kkim

just curious... why?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2009, 09:34 PM   #3
ShelbyOne
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
just curious... why?
I hoped you wouldn't ask

I gambled and purchased a 39t sprocket for the rear thinking I would save some cash and just change one sprocket.

Well...

With the rear wheel adjusted to the maximum aft position, the chain is just a little loose. (1.5 inches of play)

Old July 8th, 2009, 09:36 PM   #4
Bsmith
ninjette.org member

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250 R.I.P.

Different sprockets would be my thoughts.

Yes it can be done. you would need a chain breaker. http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...em=TUC_15-0122 like that. and replacement links.
Bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2009, 09:37 PM   #5
kkim

have you considered going to a 15T in the front to lower the revs even more in conjunction w/ the 39? the 15 would take up some of the slack.

Old July 8th, 2009, 09:44 PM   #6
ShelbyOne
ninjette.org member

Yeah, that would probably work, but I'm afraid of losing the ability to accelerate. A 15/39 combo seems a little overkill.

Old July 8th, 2009, 10:04 PM   #7
kkim

you will need a grinder to take the OEM chain plate off. Look for a white paint mark on your OEM chain. that's where the factory connected the chain ends. Grind off the chain pins that run through that side plate, then you'll need to grind off another plate to shorten the chain.

Using a rivet type master link, connect the two sides of the now shortened chain. You will need to find an exact rivet master link as the type of chain that comes on our bikes. The chain type is listed in the service manual.

Install the rivet link and you're done.

some helpful vids...

http://www.ehow.com/video_4466856_in...reet-bike.html

Old July 11th, 2009, 03:56 PM   #8
ShelbyOne
ninjette.org member

Wow kkim thanks for that!

So I got everything set up no problem. With a new master link from the dealer, I began to put things back together. The link was a tight fit, and I forced it a little before deciding something was wrong!
I took a closer look at the link and compared the stamp to the chain and found the new link reads; EK520 SR05 The Origional chain says; EK 520 SR0
The posts on the new link seem slightly larger in diameter.

Now, I'm worried that I may have compromised the integrity of my chain by trying to force the link in? You can't see any damage, but I probably bored out the shaft a bit.

This is what I get for trying to save a buck

Any thoughts?

Old July 11th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #9
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

call the dealer back, tell them they gave you the wrong link, and that if there is damage they now owe you a new chain...

Old July 11th, 2009, 07:18 PM   #10
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyOne View Post
Wow kkim thanks for that!

So I got everything set up no problem. With a new master link from the dealer, I began to put things back together. The link was a tight fit, and I forced it a little before deciding something was wrong!
I took a closer look at the link and compared the stamp to the chain and found the new link reads; EK520 SR05 The Origional chain says; EK 520 SR0
The posts on the new link seem slightly larger in diameter.

Now, I'm worried that I may have compromised the integrity of my chain by trying to force the link in? You can't see any damage, but I probably bored out the shaft a bit.

This is what I get for trying to save a buck

Any thoughts?
dunno... try looking on EK's website and see if there are any differences between those master links.

Old July 13th, 2009, 03:58 PM   #11
Wes
ninjette.org member

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): EX250-F14

Note that you can't take one link of the chain, you have to take TWO out. That means shortening the chain length by nearly 2%.

Anyhow, I put a clip-type master link into an OEM chain a few years ago. The best way to do that is to go to the dealership with your chain, try sliding a bunch in until you one that fits "just right". It should be snug but go in easily.

And I think if you tell the dealer that he owes you a chain, he will tell you owe him some pain killers...from the abdominal pain he will suffer after he finishes laughing at you.

Wes
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #12
ShelbyOne
ninjette.org member

So, it turns out that the SR0 chain on the 08 250R is an "older" style chain which was replaced with the SR05 which has bigger pins!

Personally, I just decided to order a new chain and front sprocket. I don't want to have any worries about the integrity of my chain.

Thanks for the help guys!