ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old December 1st, 2009, 01:01 AM   #1
DRivero
ninjette.org guru

Name: Debbi

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250 (Sold); 2008 Ninja EX500

Windscreen for a shorty?

Okay, I've barely cracked 70mph on the bike, and I'm thinking I want to change out my windscreen, as I'm not terribly fond of the "lifty" sensation I'm getting with the stock screen.

I've been reading the reviews for different replacement screens (Mike's, Double Bubble, etc.) on this forum, but most are from taller folk than I. I'm pretty short (5'2" on a good day, although the BF swears I'm shorter).....any suggestions for a little rider?
DRivero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 1st, 2009, 10:16 AM   #2
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRivero View Post
I'm not terribly fond of the "lifty" sensation I'm getting with the stock screen.
Mind explaining that?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 1st, 2009, 10:58 AM   #3
DRivero
ninjette.org guru

Well, it's probably just me.....I'm not used to riding at higher speeds....I don't think I did over 40 on the little 305LTD I had 25 years ago. Anyway, it feels like the wind wants to take me off the bike, upwards. I was kinda hoping I could change that; if not, I guess I'll have to get used to it.

Old December 1st, 2009, 11:00 AM   #4
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

I have a Laminar Lip and like it. You can adjust the height to your preference. http://www.laminarlip.com/ex250.php

Here is a photo of my bike. I have repositioned the Lip about 1.5 inches lower since this photo was taken.

It is attached with Dual Locks (kind of industrial strength "velcro" like dots). I have had my bike up around 85+ with no problems and the airflow hits me at about helmet level, not mid chest like the stock screen. The only issue is a slight buffeting and noise at speed. Not really a problem with me.

jeff
JeffM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 1st, 2009, 06:33 PM   #5
BlueRaven
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

I have the touring zg windshield and i'm only 5'. I still feel the wind on my helmet when i'm riding sitting up just cruising but when i'm on the freeway and leaning on the tank it's perfect espescially when i'm doing 100mph so the speedometer says

Old December 4th, 2009, 02:27 AM   #6
bobaab
ninjette.org member

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250

I think you'll get used to it. Keep riding and see how you get accustomed to it. I am 5'8" and have the ZG Double Bubble, and putting that on made the wind hit the upper part of my chest rather than a couple inches below. It did move it up a bit, not significantly, but it feels a bit better than before. I still get plenty of wind hitting me, but I've done 300 mile days on a normal expressway with speed limits of 70mph without tucking in much...I just got used to the wind after a while.

But my reasoning for getting a taller windscreen was to lessen the wind hitting my helmet...which didn't really change after switching to the ZG double bubble windscreen :P So I recommend you ride for a little bit more to see how you fit with the bike. I know I can now do 300+ mile days instead of the 50 mile days I first started out with!
bobaab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 25th, 2009, 08:12 PM   #7
min nin
ninjette.org member

Name: terry

Motorcycle(s): 2007 250r

This may help.

I got a euro gt shield from mikesshields.com

It's 23" tall and blocks lots of air. I don't feel like I'm flying off the bike anymore.

The old stock windshield used to push air right under my helmet, now riding is much quieter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg min nin..JPG (150.4 KB, 41 views)
min nin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 31st, 2009, 11:28 AM   #8
Grn99Kawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Honda CBR600F4 (sold) 1999 Ninja 250 (sold)

If you are 5'2", how high over the stock shield are you anyway? I had the ZG Double Bubble, and at just shy of 6' I really liked it. If I tucked, I was out of the wind.. I would imagine that at your height, the wind would be pushed at the top of your helmet or so...

1999 Kawi Racing Green Ninja 250 sold
Grn99Kawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 31st, 2009, 11:45 AM   #9
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

If you are 5'2" and havent cracked 70mph...you need to twist the throttle.
Im 6'3" 185lbs, and I can crack 70mph no problem.

Stick it in 6th, and twist the throttle...let it go past 8g and it will fly with you on it.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 31st, 2009, 04:18 PM   #10
Ninja Nut
ninjette.org member

Name: PJ

Motorcycle(s): '06 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by min nin View Post

It's 23" tall and blocks lots of air. I don't feel like I'm flying off the bike anymore.

The old stock windshield used to push air right under my helmet, now riding is much quieter.
I'm sorry thats just fugly on the little ninja I do like your front fender mod though.
Ninja Nut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2010, 02:12 AM   #11
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Yeah those screens don't look the best, but they work.

Sometimes people need to make a choice, use something that works they way they want, or stick with something that looks good.

To me it doesn't look that bad, I guess since I have seen several Euro bikes running them.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2010, 09:24 AM   #12
shiphteey
ninjette.org member

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 250

Being about 4 inches taller than you and having quite a bit of seat time over the 100 mph mark on the pre-gen 250s I think you should work on bringing your head a little lower. Full tuck the chinbar of my helmet usually scuffs up the gas cap, give or take a little. I'm not saying you have to run full tuck everywhere but sportbikes are designed around the idea of a rider tucked in somewhat. At 160 mph, regardless of what bike I'm on if I just sit upright the helmet will try and choke me out and shift upwards obscuring my view. I would suggest getting a little lower in the bike and see how much of a difference its making. Also, lower end helmets can cause more buffeting than a higher dollar helmet that fits you better. My old Bieffe helmet used to do that to me around 80 mph....switched to Arai and it doesn't start till 160 untucked.

A.
shiphteey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2010, 02:51 PM   #13
DRivero
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Being about 4 inches taller than you and having quite a bit of seat time over the 100 mph mark on the pre-gen 250s I think you should work on bringing your head a little lower. Full tuck the chinbar of my helmet usually scuffs up the gas cap, give or take a little. I'm not saying you have to run full tuck everywhere but sportbikes are designed around the idea of a rider tucked in somewhat.
Since I first posted this thread, I've been "tucking"....and it helps tremendously. It was a learning curve to get used to riding that way.....apparently I started out pretty darn stiff and upright in the saddle (I swear, I must've looked like Tweety's old Granny on her scooter!). I have relaxed somwhat here lately, as I put more miles in, and now it doesn't feel so weird.

Old February 15th, 2010, 04:43 PM   #14
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

Amazing the prices of those Laminar Lips. I guess if it say motorcycle or boat on it, the price goes waaaaayyy up.
Those super velcro dots just stick on to the windshild and the lip? So you can remove it any time you want?
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2010, 04:47 PM   #15
JeffM
Mr. 988

Quote:
Those super velcro dots just stick on to the windshild and the lip? So you can remove it any time you want?
Yep, you can remove it anytime. The dots have to be pried apart with a narrow screwdriver or ice pick. They hold very well.

Jeff
JeffM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2010, 08:39 PM   #16
UDFy-38135539
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Euler

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250

Thumbs up I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by min nin View Post
I'm 6'2" and and just got back from a cold, noisy, windy ride. Although I was wearing a balaclava, I was still really cold.

I does look geeky, but I think I'm going to go with the same one you got for the winter, and then change it back in the summer, when a little wind is actually good.
UDFy-38135539 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2011, 09:26 PM   #17
darcytribe
ninjette.org newbie

Name: JD

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja ex250

I just purchased a Euro GT for my winter/cold weather/ and long distance riding. Tired of the cold wind blast, I'm a comfort over looks guy myself. If this works well I may invest in the winter wings as well. Thanks for the pic of it mounted on the bike.
darcytribe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2011, 07:50 AM   #18
JeffM
Mr. 988

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcytribe View Post
I just purchased a Euro GT for my winter/cold weather/ and long distance riding. Tired of the cold wind blast, I'm a comfort over looks guy myself. If this works well I may invest in the winter wings as well. Thanks for the pic of it mounted on the bike.
Welcome to the forum.

Did you contact Mike? I understand that he had been having health issues and had stopped taking orders for a while. I do notice that he has taken down the notice on his site that stated he was not taking orders.

Seems he is back in business . Let us know how long it takes to receive your order.

Jeff

Old February 24th, 2011, 08:12 AM   #19
darcytribe
ninjette.org newbie

Name: JD

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja ex250

Hey Jeff,

Yeah, I noticed the website had changed too I decided to place an order. He got back to me the next day and said he would build it and ship it in a few days.
darcytribe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2011, 08:59 AM   #20
JeffM
Mr. 988

Good to hear. Thanks.