ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old November 18th, 2020, 01:16 AM   #1
clakmurrick
carb newbie

Name: Clark

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Unhappy Gas Cap Vent Problems?

Hey all, I got an 08 250R, first bike, and first time working with carbs! (Oh boy)

Anyways, before I even explain my problems with the carbs so far, I'll at least try and fix everything else. Currently, when I open the gas cap, there is a massive rush of air into the tank, so I assume the cap is not venting correctly. I confirmed that the drain hose/vent tube from the tank to the bottom of the frame is clear by blowing air through it. Therefore, I assume the cap itself isn't venting correctly. I found some threads talking about this but it was on the previous generation so I am unsure if the "fix" is the same, or hell, IDK if this is even a problem. I will say, it is a HUGE rush of air sometimes, so much that it atomizes the air and gas seems to spritz on me. I would assume this isn't right.

If someone can help me out, that would be great! Thanks!
clakmurrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2020, 05:37 AM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
You certainly found a problem that needs to be corrected. I have a pregen 250 so I won't try to give you specifics, but you should be able to carefully disassemble the cap on a table, taking photos as you go if necessary, to remember how it came apart, and get it cleaned.

I've done all my own carb work all my life, but when my 250 carbs got to where I wasn't happy with their performance I sent them to Ducatiman here. He has all the parts and cleaning equipment to make them like they were when they were new. I had them back within a week of when I sent them, and I was not disappointed.

Welcome to the board, Clark!
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2020, 10:10 AM   #3
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Greetings and Salutations Clark!!!

I've got photos somewhere, I'll upload with procedure later. Involves drilling out 3-holes in innards of cap.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2020, 06:42 PM   #4
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Hello and welcome!
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2020, 12:24 PM   #5
clakmurrick
carb newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Hello and welcome!
Thanks for the hello!

Old November 21st, 2020, 12:25 PM   #6
clakmurrick
carb newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Greetings and Salutations Clark!!!

I've got photos somewhere, I'll upload with procedure later. Involves drilling out 3-holes in innards of cap.
If you can get me those photos, that would be very helpful!

Old November 21st, 2020, 12:25 PM   #7
clakmurrick
carb newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
You certainly found a problem that needs to be corrected. I have a pregen 250 so I won't try to give you specifics, but you should be able to carefully disassemble the cap on a table, taking photos as you go if necessary, to remember how it came apart, and get it cleaned.

I've done all my own carb work all my life, but when my 250 carbs got to where I wasn't happy with their performance I sent them to Ducatiman here. He has all the parts and cleaning equipment to make them like they were when they were new. I had them back within a week of when I sent them, and I was not disappointed.

Welcome to the board, Clark!
Thanks for the info! I will definitely keep Ducatiman in mind, hopefully I can figure it out myself haha but I may be chasing my tail.

Old November 24th, 2020, 01:41 PM   #8
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
DIY - New-gen Gas Cap Vent Mod

Here's how to do gas cap mod for new-gen bikes. Take pictures along way and lay out parts numbered in order of disassembly for easier time.

1. remove cap from tank. Only need to undo 3 of 6 bolts at 1, 5 and 9 o'clock

2. undo screws to remove latch mechanism

3. Remove covers to dig even deeper. Will end up with pile of parts

4. drill 3/32" larger vent-hole here. Don't go too deep as there's rubber diaphragm below. Use tooth-pick to probe for depth and wrap some tape around drill-bit as gauge to prevent going too deep

5. drill out these holes to 3/32"

6. re-assemble, starting with putting 4x springs back in place

7. put middle cover back on. Make sure 4x springs underneath stays in place

8. another cover back on

9. flip over latch assembly over and attach tongue & spring

10. gently flip over latch assembly and attach to cap

11. reinstall cap on tank

Some people have reported that this mod doesn't remove hissing tank-cap. In which case, you might as well drill all way through diaphragm in step #4. Note that doing so will allow petrol to pour out cap if bike is tipped over. So be ready to pick it up ASAP in that case, otherwise spilled petrol will cause damage to paint on tank and melt fairings.

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; November 25th, 2020 at 08:51 PM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.