ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 28th, 2011, 10:53 PM   #1
tabletennisman
ninjette.org member

Name: Adrian

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Engine number location on 2008 Ninja 250R??

Where exactly is the engine number located on a 2008 Ninja 250R? Just want to check this bike I'm buying has the correct engine number matching to the VIN.

Thanks!
tabletennisman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2011, 11:30 PM   #2
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabletennisman View Post
Where exactly is the engine number located on a 2008 Ninja 250R? Just want to check this bike I'm buying has the correct engine number matching to the VIN.

Thanks!
I believe you want the frame number. If the previous owner swapped the engine, it may just as easily be for the better. There's certainly nothing wrong with it.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2011, 11:36 PM   #3
tabletennisman
ninjette.org member

Thanks for your reply.

I just want to be sure exactly what it is I'm buying.

Old March 29th, 2011, 12:09 AM   #4
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

Name: AMMOCAN

Motorcycle(s): *SOLD* '10 Kawasaki 250R SE A.K.A. SLIME-R *SOLD*

Quote:

Thanks!
The engine No. should be on the right side on the engine above where you pour oil into it. It is kinda hard to see, as the fairing creates a nice dark shadow over it, so you may want to have a flashlight handy. Also, the frame No. is also on the right side below the handle bars on the stem that meets up with the forks.

Hope that helps!

Old March 29th, 2011, 01:08 AM   #5
tabletennisman
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMMOCAN View Post
The engine No. should be on the right side on the engine above where you pour oil into it. It is kinda hard to see, as the fairing creates a nice dark shadow over it, so you may want to have a flashlight handy. Also, the frame No. is also on the right side below the handle bars on the stem that meets up with the forks.

Hope that helps!
Thanks mate!

Should the frame number match up to something? Nothing on any of the paperwork has anything about a frame number, only engine and vin numbers...

Old March 29th, 2011, 11:16 AM   #6
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

Quote:
Thanks mate!

Should the frame number match up to something? Nothing on any of the paperwork has anything about a frame number, only engine and vin numbers...
You are so very welcome! The frame No. should match up with the VIN No.

Old March 29th, 2011, 02:15 PM   #7
tabletennisman
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMMOCAN View Post
You are so very welcome! The frame No. should match up with the VIN No.
so the frame number will be the exact same as the VIN?

Cheers!

Old March 29th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #8
kkim

The VIN number is the frame number. That is how bikes are titled... according to the frames. At least, that's how it's done in the US.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2011, 02:24 PM   #9
tabletennisman
ninjette.org member

thanks guys!

Old March 29th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #10
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Just to clarify. The vin number that is stampted into the frame and written on the title and regestration. Will also be the number stampted on the right side of the engine case. There are also white paint numbers on the head. I have no idea what they are. But I have a 2009 engine in my bike. The 2009 cylinder head has 96-17-3AN in white paint. My 2008 engine has no paint numbers at all.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2011, 04:43 PM   #11
tabletennisman
ninjette.org member

Thanks mate... This could be an actual 2009 model, i believe all ninja 250r's sold here in Australia were in fact 09 models. So your theory of only being on 09 models could be right!

Old March 29th, 2011, 07:26 PM   #12
kkim

what's the VIN #. It will tell you what model year it is.

Old March 29th, 2011, 07:50 PM   #13
tabletennisman
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
what's the VIN #. It will tell you what model year it is.
bike's a 2008 according to the vin.

Old March 29th, 2011, 09:30 PM   #14
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
Just to clarify. The vin number that is stampted into the frame and written on the title and regestration. Will also be the number stampted on the right side of the engine case. There are also white paint numbers on the head. I have no idea what they are. But I have a 2009 engine in my bike. The 2009 cylinder head has 96-17-3AN in white paint. My 2008 engine has no paint numbers at all.
The No. stamped on the right side of my engine case is not the same as the Frame/VIN No. that is stamped below the handlebars on the frames neck. It is suppose to be different and is referred to as the Engine No. Both of these numbers have to be reported to DMV and is reflected on the owners registration card and title.

Old March 29th, 2011, 09:41 PM   #15
kkim

registration here only lists the VIN#, so I'm sure it varies from state to state, county to county,etc., according to the DMV.

I agree with you that the VIN and engine numbers are not the same on the bike. While they theoretically could be the same, they don't make a conscious effort to match the engine and frame numbers when the unit is being assembled. Most bikes VIN and engine numbers don't match.

Old March 4th, 2016, 12:15 PM   #16
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Resurrecting an old thread to weigh-in, because I'm doing an engine swap right now, and in the middle of the paperwork registration process.

This is in California:
  • The bike has been on non-operational status/registration for the last year.
  • Added bike back to insurance policy, and got updated proof of insurance.
  • Purchased complete engine from a MC recycle yard. Important: got invoice/bill of sale. (not yet installed - pray it works)
  • Went into DMV to convert non-op to operational registration, and report change in Engine number.
  • DMV took money for temporary operating permit, but will not be complete until CHP inspection.
  • DMV helped me begin Application For "Assigned Vehicle Identification Number Plate"
  • Referred me to local CHP field office for inspection. (need to make appointment, I believe)
  • CHP will then verify frame and engine numbers, and give me relevant document.
  • Process will be complete after I return papers to DMV (I THINK the fee I paid today covers the entire registration period, so I shouldn't have to pay again until regular renewal).
  • Then I give/transfer bike to bro, and I'll finally have a regular to ride with!

The guy at the wrecking place implied that it was entirely "my choice" if I didn't want to report to DMV (to be clear, you are required by law to report engine or frame changes to DMV). I never did on my last engine, mostly due to ignorance, but since I'm transferring ownership want to be 100% legal.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote