ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old November 21st, 2009, 10:21 AM   #1
eddiekay
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

A question and an answer

Hi y'all...EddieK here and i just reg'd up and have a question or 2 and an answer to 1.
First... '09 250r's are impossible to find here on LI, NY at anything less than msrp +freight. So I located a dealer in Big Run PA ( 322 miles away) who will sell me a new one for $3599 out the door....does anybody have any experience with this dealer ?
Next....I learned the joys of a windshield a 4 years ago and learned the ecstasy of an extended shield 2 years ago...Have an 8 over on my FZ6 and, yeah, it's better than sex or pizza. Does anyone know of any manufacturer other than Laminar that offers a 10 or 12 or 14 over just for 250r's ?
And the answer to cold weather....for $25 you can get a used snowmobile suit on e-bay...a 2 piece suit with turtlenect and full head mask is good to maybe 25 dgerees at any speed. Fingertips, however, are always the prob.
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2009, 11:40 AM   #2
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

But the snowmobile suit has no armor in the easily damaged areas to protect against the ground. Snow=soft, pavement=hard. You can buy many different types of insulated motorcycle gear with plastic armor for similar used prices if you happen to find one that fits. You can buy new stuff from Tourmaster or Cortech for $300 which is a bargain compared to a lot of other manufacturers.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2009, 11:56 AM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

You'll still have to pay sales tax in NY when you register it, right? That's how it works here in CA at least.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2009, 12:26 PM   #4
eddiekay

Greg makes a good point but I'm talking about keeping warm. The people who ride the street in full armor....down where I live...are doing it for the look. Street crashes are not usually slides...you get hit by something or you hit something. I have a lightly armored suit too but the times i went to the hospital were because I hit or slid into something.
Just my personal experience and BTW, I have a lightly armored suit for long trips.

Old November 21st, 2009, 01:18 PM   #5
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

The suit I bought is mesh with armor for summer, has a wind and water resistant layer for cooler or wet, and a 100 gram insulated liner for colder. I'll know more when it arrives next week.

If I get thrown into the air from a crash with a car, I certainly want a backpro and every other piece of armor I can get. Chances f getting whacked in the colder months around here increases drastically since the juggernauts are even less aware of cycles during the cold times.

Old November 21st, 2009, 01:22 PM   #6
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

And yes you will have to pay the tax when you register it in NY, but should not have to pay tax where you buy it. If you pay tax where you buy it, then make damn sure you have a receipt from a dealer and make sure the tax is clearly listed, this may get you out of paying tax when it is registered, or you may have to pay the extra amount that NY charges over where you buy it.

If you buy a used bike, make sure that the seller has their signature notarized before you get the title in hand and exchange the money. Found that one out the hard way and cost extra money and a lot of time. I would apply this to any out of state purchase even if not required in that state.

Old November 21st, 2009, 03:23 PM   #7
eddiekay

GregE....good info about the notarized sig of seller...never heard that before and it makes perfect sense