ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 6th, 2010, 05:17 PM   #1
ninjabadger
ninjette.org member

Name: Corey

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki 250R, 2008 Genuine Buddy 50

Interstate riding

Just took the bike out for a couple hour ride including about 20 miles of interstate riding. It may just be a matter of acclimation, cold tires stock tires or something but the entire distance it felt squirrely and the experience was fairly tiring. This left me wondering, how far have you ridden at interstate speeds? How does the bike handle for you? Being in the midwest, being able to traverse long distances is going to be part of the deal. Is there anything besides sucking it up and dealing with it that can be done to give the bike better highway manners?
ninjabadger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2010, 08:19 PM   #2
Angel-be-Good
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '11 Street Triple R

Just relax. The bike is great on the freeway. Wear some ear plugs, get used to 9,000 rpm, and enjoy the ride.

Old March 6th, 2010, 09:03 PM   #3
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

I ride at interstate speed and above on almost every road, but for some reason I-65 tires me. It seems so much more windy for some reason. Also everyone does 90-100mph so I have to run wide open on the interstate, and I can't pass anyone. Also all the big trucks scare me.

Old March 6th, 2010, 09:04 PM   #4
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dre

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, 2008 ZX6, 2011 Ninja 1000

For me, the 250 has been fine on the highways. Yes, you have to get used to the high revs. But, that part of the charm of the bike. For the wind noise, I wear headphones. I keep the volume at a level where I hear what's going on around me and still rock to the music. Cruising around 55 - 60 mph is fine sitting straight up. After that, you are going to have to tuck. Keeping your arms relaxed in both stances is the key. I used to ride with my shoulders tensed up. After every ride, my whole upper body would end up aching. After loosening up a bit, I haven't had that problem.
gogoKawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2010, 09:33 PM   #5
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
My bike has always been very stable at highway speeds and above. Two things that have improved the experience though in when I switched to Pirelli Sport demons and when I intalled a double bubble windscreen.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2010, 07:48 AM   #6
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

Check your tire pressures. Low pressure can give you that squirrely feeling, esp. in the front wheel.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2010, 03:36 PM   #7
caferacer
Caferacer

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Plus one on the tire pressure...interstate speeds just amplify the issue. Check your pressures before leaving home.
caferacer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2010, 04:04 PM   #8
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

All of the above---plus relax your grip. You don`t have to "White Knuckle" the handlebars. Assume a nice relaxed grip and let the bike dance under you. It is a sweet dancer with a smooth rhythmic motion--a dance you can enjoy if you relax. Don`t push the lead, erstwhile you get your toes stepped on.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2010, 04:05 PM   #9
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel-be-Good View Post
Just relax. The bike is great on the freeway. Wear some ear plugs, get used to 9,000 rpm, and enjoy the ride.
+1 on all of the above. I used to take mine all over, and regularly commuted to work on the freeway. The little 250 handles it just fine. About half of the 6000 miles I put on my 250 were highway miles.

Just be aware that at highway speeds and in tight traffic, the little Ninjette has very little "extra" to give. Look further ahead and plan accordingly. Like anything else, it's a skill set that you'll get better at the more you do it.

Old March 7th, 2010, 04:14 PM   #10
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

+1 to all above. Also might consider a 15-T front sprocket, it'll drop your highway RPM a little. I used to ride with a tight upper body like Andre and even 20-30miles on hwy left me stiff. Now I do 300mi+ (1-2 stops) without so much as an ache.
Big +1 for the sport demons. I've been abaolutely thrilled with their performance in corners as well as on the highway over my stock Dunlops.

Old March 8th, 2010, 02:09 PM   #11
cnichols79us
Fastly Slow!!!

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja EX250, 1980 Honda XL125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
+1 to all above. Also might consider a 15-T front sprocket, it'll drop your highway RPM a little. I used to ride with a tight upper body like Andre and even 20-30miles on hwy left me stiff. Now I do 300mi+ (1-2 stops) without so much as an ache.
Big +1 for the sport demons. I've been abaolutely thrilled with their performance in corners as well as on the highway over my stock Dunlops.
Another +1. I went to a 15T front just because I was on I-5 and HWY 22 in Oregon all the time. Never got squirrly on me that I know of, of course, I am used to riding Dual Sports with Knobbies at highway speed, so the 250 feels like I riding on Air!!
cnichols79us is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2010, 03:18 PM   #12
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjabadger View Post
Just took the bike out for a couple hour ride including about 20 miles of interstate riding. It may just be a matter of acclimation, cold tires stock tires or something but the entire distance it felt squirrely and the experience was fairly tiring. This left me wondering, how far have you ridden at interstate speeds? How does the bike handle for you? Being in the midwest, being able to traverse long distances is going to be part of the deal. Is there anything besides sucking it up and dealing with it that can be done to give the bike better highway manners?
The bike sucks on the freeway and little can be done to make it a good experience. The bike is underpowered and the engine screaming at a constant high rpm gets annoying. This, of course, is just my opinion. 20 mins of freeway on the 250 has me looking for a cloverleaf.

Old March 8th, 2010, 03:42 PM   #13
Mo1981
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ebony Ninja 250R

The bike is fine on the highway, or mine is at least. Sprocket swap made world of difference.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mo1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2010, 04:36 PM   #14
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dre

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, 2008 ZX6, 2011 Ninja 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
The bike sucks on the freeway and little can be done to make it a good experience. The bike is underpowered and the engine screaming at a constant high rpm gets annoying. This, of course, is just my opinion. 20 mins of freeway on the 250 has me looking for a cloverleaf.
I remember when I felt that way. I hated the 250 on the highway. I wanted a bigger bike for the power and lower rpms. After riding my cousin's 750, I came to appreciate the high revs of the 250. Plus, I like the fact you have to think about passing someone, as opposed to just twisting the throttle slightly and you jump ahead of 5 cars in a blink. To me, power only becomes an issue when riding with bigger bikes. You can't keep up if they decide to open up the throttle.

Don't get me wrong, I want a bigger bike and will have a zx6 in the next few weeks. But, the 250 is just fine for whatever you want to do, in my opinion. Granted, I thoroughly expect my opinion to change once I get my zx6.
gogoKawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2010, 06:29 PM   #15
Sailariel

I am DEFINITEVLY with Paul, Jeff, and Matt. The 15T sprocket change made a big difference--at least for me. I will be honest, and say that I have only had two days experience with that mod--but am really impressed with the result. At least to me, it looks like a good start. It does amaze me that a one tooth change can make such a difference.

Old March 8th, 2010, 06:32 PM   #16
Mo1981
ninjette.org member

I went ahead and did the 41toother in the back. Those two sprockets completely changed the character of the bike.

2008 Ebony Ninja 250R (a.k.a. "Venom")

Old March 8th, 2010, 06:50 PM   #17
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

The 250 for me on highways (100 mi. +) can be fun but on excrutiating windy days very tiring. In order to make the freeways an easier and more enjoyable ride I did the following mods and adjustments...... 1. Sport Demons 2. Piugg Racing Windscreen 3. Corbin Seat which makes gripping and turning more controlled 4. Adjusted the pre-load up by 1 notch 5. Adjusted tire pressure (increased). With that I now have very little concern when travelling the freeways. It feels planted, the wind is less of a concern (remember too to keep your arms loose and ride the wave so to speak) and its by far more enjoyable.
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2010, 06:50 PM   #18
Sailariel

Matt , You went 15--41? Would be interested on your take with this mod.

Old March 8th, 2010, 07:03 PM   #19
ninjabadger
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the input guys. I checked the tire pressure before setting out today. Rear was down quite a bit and the front was a bit low. Remedied that problem and we'll see how that affects things. I'll consider the sprocket mod since it seems to be recieved well by most folks. I'll want to get my carburetion sorted out first since I'm still having some low end hiccups and I'm guessing that the slightly taller gearing will not help. I'm also going to pick up a double bubble once I graduate (parking permit is stuck to the windscreen) as that will help with airflow over my 6 foot self in a tuck. Maybe an upgrade from the stock IRCs?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old March 9th, 2010, 05:31 AM   #20
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Quote:
I'll want to get my carburetion sorted out first since I'm still having some low end hiccups and I'm guessing that the slightly taller gearing will not help. Yup, sort that out for sure

I'm also going to pick up a double bubble once I graduate (parking permit is stuck to the windscreen) as that will help with airflow over my 6 foot self in a tuck. It'll help during normal and tuck

Maybe an upgrade from the stock IRCs? As soon as humanly possible

Posted via Mobile Device

Old March 9th, 2010, 05:43 AM   #21
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Tire pressure, lights and brakes before every ride.
I've done 3 hours on the freeway at once with the stock gearing and seat.
I can sit up on the bike at top speed. (no real need to tuck, although I love tucking and usually do)
The high RPM doesn't bug me.. I like how it sounds TBH.
Will sound even nicer when I get that Yosh on there.

I do worry the thing will explode on the freeway sometimes though at 10k in sixth gear.
Still on the stock "rubbers".
I've had it up to 100mph max on level ground and 105mph coming downhill. lol
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2010, 06:23 AM   #22
karlosdajackal
ninjette.org guru

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R Fuel Injected Model 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel-be-Good View Post
This is sensible advice, without earplugs if I do 20 minutes on a motorway I'm tired afterward, with earplugs I'm happy to keep going. While the IRC tires may not be race winners they are not bad at all.

If the bike is squirmy its usually not the tires, its usually the rider having a death grip on the bars. While going along you should be able to bend your elbows freely and easily rather than have your arms locked out in front of you. This will also help with fatigue if you rely on your legs and feet to support your weight better rather than using your arms which is what people naturally tend to do when they sit on a bike, even one that's very upright like the 250r.

Earplugs and relaxed grip should be cheap and effective. I'd try those before the other suggestions. Some of us can go on motorway trips, with standard sprockets and IRC tires and not feel fatigued at the end, so we must be doing something different (well ok ear-plugs). Try it before you buy something you don't need, you might be surprised.

Old March 9th, 2010, 06:58 AM   #23
JokerSeven
Ride it like you stole it

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R, '04 R6(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
Matt , You went 15--41? Would be interested on your take with this mod.
+2
C'mon Matt you can't stop now.
JokerSeven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2010, 07:19 AM   #24
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Its not that bad...Sure finding some windy backroad is way more fun, but the 250 will run fine on the interstate.
I think the key is staying loose. If you white knuckle it at that speed, every little muscle flinch you do will get translated into the bike. Take a deep breath, relax, and enjoy the ride.
And with the cooler weather, bundle up and stay warm. If you are shivering, the bike is gonna feel it and act funny.

Most of what you think is unstableness in the bike is actually the bike responding to you, not to the road. Get yourself in check, and the bike will follow suit.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2010, 08:22 AM   #25
ninjabadger
ninjette.org member

I regularly wear earplugs when riding (went so far as to mount a pillbox to the dash to hold them so I always have a pair) and on the particular ride in question I did make a point of keeping a loose grip on the bars. I learned early on with the scooter (with its agressive rake and tiny wheels) that stranging the bars is counterproductive. We're forecast for rain for the next few days so I'm probably not going to be headed out onto the interstate for any distance riding until the weekend. We'll see if proper tire pressure maintenance takes care of the wandering feeling.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old March 9th, 2010, 08:25 AM   #26
ninjabadger
ninjette.org member

Also the fatigue is mostly mental as the squrrely seat of the pants sensations kicks off a little adrenaline and jacks up my already focused mental state such that by the time I hit the kill switch it feels like I took the LSAT all over again.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old March 9th, 2010, 09:03 AM   #27
karlosdajackal
ninjette.org guru

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R Fuel Injected Model 2009

Quote:
I regularly wear earplugs when riding (went so far as to mount a pillbox to the dash to hold them so I always have a pair) and on the particular ride in question I did make a point of keeping a loose grip on the bars. I learned early on with the scooter (with its agressive rake and tiny wheels) that stranging the bars is counterproductive. We're forecast for rain for the next few days so I'm probably not going to be headed out onto the interstate for any distance riding until the weekend. We'll see if proper tire pressure maintenance takes care of the wandering feeling.
Posted via Mobile Device
Motorbikes also work in the rain

Old March 9th, 2010, 09:54 AM   #28
cnichols79us
Fastly Slow!!!

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja EX250, 1980 Honda XL125

Quote:
Thanks for the input guys. I checked the tire pressure before setting out today. Rear was down quite a bit and the front was a bit low. Remedied that problem and we'll see how that affects things. I'll consider the sprocket mod since it seems to be recieved well by most folks. I'll want to get my carburetion sorted out first since I'm still having some low end hiccups and I'm guessing that the slightly taller gearing will not help. I'm also going to pick up a double bubble once I graduate (parking permit is stuck to the windscreen) as that will help with airflow over my 6 foot self in a tuck. Maybe an upgrade from the stock IRCs?
Posted via Mobile Device
I grabbed up a Double Bubble, and personally, I really like it. Albeit, I am only 5'7" tall!!!! If you are much taller than me and are looking to cut down on windforce, the DB may not be your answer. I sit up fairly tall on my Ninjette, unless I'm in the twisties, and with the stock screen, wind would hit me high chest. The DB moved the wind to hitting me just above the chin if I scrunch down a bit, base of the neck if I sit up normal.... Doesn't cut as much wind as I hoped, BUT is an improvement over stock.... IMO....
cnichols79us is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2010, 11:07 AM   #29
Mo1981
ninjette.org member

Honestly, I would do this mod 100 times over. I did the 15/41 swap and was amazed at what a difference it made with the bike. The buzziness and high-strung tendancies were completely removed. My buddy, who also has an '08 250R, liked it so much that he did the same thing. It basically stretches out the powerband a bit more, adding some top-end flexibility. It doesn't take it too far, as 6th gear still has acceleration in it. This isn't a set-up for everyone though. Obviously, people who do regular track days and such will find this useless. I commute alot, plus some spirited riding around the area and the sprockets are great for it. Single best mod for the bike, IMO...

P.S. I'm not trying to hijack the thread and turn it into a tech discussion or anything like that. Just giving the reason why my bike is fine on the highway...
Posted via Mobile Device