Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old January 5th, 2017, 09:10 AM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[RideApart] - Company Introduces Helmet-Mounted Brake Light

Cosmo Shows Off Helmet-Mounted Brake Light

We all know the importance of visibility on the road, in terms of what we can see and what we can’t. Cosmo Connected has provided a detachable helmet-mounted brake light to alert drivers approaching from behind.

The 5.3-ounce Cosmo attaches to the back of the motorcycle helmet via a magnet. The polycarbonate and EPDM rubber case houses 12 LED lights and is weather resistant. The lithium polymer battery is good for 7.5 hours of operation on a single charge, and is can be programable to act either as a normal brake light — illuminating on deceleration when sensed by the built-in accelerometer — or it can be set via an app to blink a constant pattern.

“Our goal is to create a new safety standard for motorcyclists,” said Romain Afflelou, president of Cosmo Connected. In addition to the enhanced visibility, the Cosmo’s least noticeable feature is one that could save a rider’s life. Should the unit detect a collision, it will send a command to the connected app to alert emergency services along with geolocation info and medical profile. The app can also automatically alert emergency contacts.

The connected features can also be used for real-time monitoring of locations that can be shared with trusted parties. The system can also anonymize the data to determine high-risk areas for potential motorcyclist collisions. “Cosmo is not just a connected gadget, but a powerful tool designed to save lives,” added Afflelou.

The Cosmo Connected accessory will be released in May 2017 and will retail for $99.00.

More from RideApart:

Related Stories

Click here for full story...

Old January 5th, 2017, 09:43 AM   #2
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

I wonder if these devices get tested to determine if there is a negative impact on the safety performance of the helmet.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2017, 12:15 PM   #3
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

Not likely. There was a police department somewhere a couple years ago that said the reason they didn't allow helmet cams was because the compromised the safety of the helmet.

Whether anybody has actually tested these theories, I don't know, but I would be interested to know how helmet mounted accessories affect it.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 7th, 2017, 07:53 AM   #4
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
I like the general idea. I think CHMSLs (on all vehicles) help make it easier for others to see when you're braking. It's more in your center of vision and there's a greater contrast when it comes on since it's not also a taillight. I'd like to do something like this on my bike, but I'd prefer if I could have it wired permanently to the bike, rather than being something stuck on me.

I don't like that it's triggered by an accelerometer. This means it won't necessarily be in sync with your bike's brake lights, which can be confusing to people following you. Until all brake lights use this technology and people are used to it, I think this mix & match could actually cause problems. I'd like to think the company has it worked out pretty well, but there are situations when either the helmet light or the bike light could be on while the other is off. I can't really blame the guy behind me for not knowing what's going on when half my brake lights are randomly not doing what the others are. Personally, I'd rather have a wireless transmitter that spliced into the brake light wiring to tell the helmet light when to activate.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2017, 11:09 AM   #5
Lazarus
ninjette.org member

Name: RJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

My helmet has a built in led with different flashing modes. I then went and purchased a replacement insert l.e.d with a transistor that wired into the brakelight and synced the helmet light and the brake light together. I also rode with a camera mounted in the front right vent of the helmet. I was unfortunate enough to crash this summer, fortunate enough to walk away with just a scratch, and neither the small helmet cam or the l.e.d in back compromised the safety of the helmet. I have a few light scratches and a chip to prove it.

Most likely replacing the helmet before the season starts. I believe it is a gmax g45s? It's a modular helmet with a built in sun shade, a little noisy on the highway but I love it. Only thing is, this l.e.d in the op is an external unit, mine is built into my helmet to sit flush with the rest of the helmet. The camera was some cheap eBay camera with a plastic mount I had to adapt to my helmet. It ended up snapping off in the accident and I had to collect it from the roadside.

Hope this helps.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2017, 05:53 PM   #6
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
....Personally, I'd rather have a wireless transmitter that spliced into the brake light wiring to tell the helmet light when to activate.
Agree. Make a LED rear light replacement that just goes in where the bulb is and has the transmitter built in. Or have an option to wire in line with the brakes for those bikes that already have an LED tail light.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote