ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 1st, 2009, 10:33 AM   #1
djpharoah
\m/

Name: Mesh

Motorcycle(s): CBR600F3 Smokin Joes

Possibly getting an older 600

Well guys and gals - I might be getting a 600cc this summer for a few reasons. Now I know the risks etc but I am also doing this for a few reasons. I'm not trying to justify it just thought I'd share some thoughts with you all - since it seems all the mature people from kawi forums came over here.

My brother will be doing the same in town commute to the university from this summer and we (my family) all agree that paying for gas+parking for a car is pretty heavy when we don't need to. So he will be taking the MSF soon and taking the ninja 250 to school.

This will be leaving me without a ride. So the hunt/search on craigslist begins and I'm finding for my budget there are either ninja 250s (old ones) or older 600cc bikes (95-01). So I've decided to get a 600 just because I don't want to get another ninja especially the pre 08 ones.

So I am currently checking out older CBR F2/F3s (most likely to get one of these), ZX6-e (I'd love to keep it in the Kawi Fam) or Yami YZFs.

As much as I love the 250 I feel like this might be better move for me. By the time I get this "new" bike I will have probably finished 3500-4000 miles on the ninja 250. Now I haven't been to track school or anything and I know I will never use even 35% of the bike's potential but for the better suspension, better tire selection, better riding position, and better brakes I'm willing to go this route.

Big part of this is also my engineering side (ME student) and that I can't really tweak much on this older gen ninja250. I love to tweak mechanically and aesthetically but everytime I try to do so on this ninja I draw back claiming it looks better stock.

What do you guys think? Also just note here in SoCal even the new Ninja 250s (08s/09s) used are going for like $3500+ and I just can't spend that much.

Hit me up with your opinions/advice - Still in the brainstorming phase. If only 400CC gray market bikes weren't so damn expensive. I'd love a VFR400 or a CBR400 but...
djpharoah is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2009, 11:13 AM   #2
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

best of luck with your project and degree (from another ME) - the zx6e is a pretty cool bike and i am quite fond of the f3 CBR as well. either would be a great choice
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2009, 11:28 AM   #3
kkim

I've owned both a 92 and a 98 CBR F2 and F3 bikes. Both were solid, reliable and fun. For me they were a bit heavy, but very comfortable and fit my 5'7" size nicely.

I think you would enjoy riding those bikes, though the real danger of owning them is keeping the nut between the handlebars and the seat properly maintained.

good luck!
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2009, 11:38 AM   #4
djpharoah
\m/

Thanks Kelly - yeah they seem to be the most recommended and easily available bikes out for in the used 600cc market. Almost like the civic of the motorcycle world.

I've ridden my friends F2 and it just felt a lot more in control of the road, little bumps and street snakes didnt phase it. Sure it is a bit heavier but I think I was more comfy riding it. It felt like I was riding in it vs sitting on top of the ninja you know.

All i know is I will still snag the 250 once in a while for a nice run around.

Old March 1st, 2009, 04:15 PM   #5
Broom
Track Junkie

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r Track Bike, DR350 commuter, KDX220 woods bike

i had a yzf600r for several years. loved that bike. fast, dependable, forgiving, comfortable and fun. i commuted in the city for 3 years on it and took it on several trips from texas to Missouri and back (arkansas is a great state to explore on a sportbike).

the F2-F4 hondas are good too, and lots of parts out there for them on ebay and in junkyards. i've been thinking about picking one up for another track bike just for that reason.

Old March 1st, 2009, 06:37 PM   #6
aloh
lolwut

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

hooray a fellow ME student!!

A 400cc machine would be sweeeeet.

Old March 1st, 2009, 07:00 PM   #7
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Mesh, Sounds like you did your Recon well. A 600 anything will be a mindblowing increase in power--which is not necessarily bad--if you have your head on straight--and my impression is that you do. Personally, if I lived in Southern California, I would ride something bigger than a 250. My son lives in Rancho Santa Margarita in Orange County and drives a Vette, like I did when I lived in New York State. On freeways a Ninjette is very vulnerable, in my opinion. For a college ride, the Ninjette is perfect. When I did my undergrad work at Syracuse University, I rode a 1956 NSU Special Max 250, and it was ideal. Suggest that brother get a disc brake lock. College campuses are notorious for thievery. Best of luck in your search. I have all the confidence in you.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2009, 07:10 PM   #8
djpharoah
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloh View Post
hooray a fellow ME student!!

A 400cc machine would be sweeeeet.
A 400CC bike would be pretty sweet but unfortunately they are rarer then hens teeth and cost way too much.

Are you currently an ME student? Im a senior at UCI - where about are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
Mesh, Sounds like you did your Recon well. A 600 anything will be a mindblowing increase in power--which is not necessarily bad--if you have your head on straight--and my impression is that you do. Personally, if I lived in Southern California, I would ride something bigger than a 250. My son lives in Rancho Santa Margarita in Orange County and drives a Vette, like I did when I lived in New York State. On freeways a Ninjette is very vulnerable, in my opinion. For a college ride, the Ninjette is perfect. When I did my undergrad work at Syracuse University, I rode a 1956 NSU Special Max 250, and it was ideal. Suggest that brother get a disc brake lock. College campuses are notorious for thievery. Best of luck in your search. I have all the confidence in you.
Alex - what you say makes a lot of sense. I will definitely get a disc lock soon especially since some punks stole my stock ninja's chrome pipes back last October.