ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 9th, 2010, 04:19 PM   #41
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Good call Kelly, especially since she always needs choke even on warm days. I hardly ever use choke here, but I do have a dynojet kit.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2010, 04:35 PM   #42
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Rose

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Blue Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
check to see if the clamps on either side of both carbs that attach them to the rubber boots are loose. give the clamp screws a 1/4 turn each to be sure.

also, look for loose/disconnected or damaged vacuum hoses in that area.
I'll have to get that translated and then I'll give it a try
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2010, 04:50 PM   #43
kkim

in this picture on the top right hand side, see the front of the carb connected to the big black tube? There is a black clamp holding the carb to the rubber tube. make sure that's tight on both carbs.

there are the same type of clamps on the rear of the carbs connecting the carbs to the airbox.

check to see that they are tight, also.

ignore the screw he's playing with at the bottom of the picture.

kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2010, 04:53 PM   #44
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwidow View Post
HA!!! where are all those folks that told me i should buy used.
right here.

Old September 9th, 2010, 04:53 PM   #45
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Measuring the beer to gas ratio
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2010, 04:54 PM   #46
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
Measuring the beer to gas ratio
lol btw, that's not me in the pic.

Old September 9th, 2010, 05:56 PM   #47
highpsiguy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 1981 Honda Cx500 Custom, 2002 Ninja 250

I had the very same problem on my 1981 Honda CX500 when a mouse decided to build a house of straw in my air box. Same problems you are describing... they had chewed up my paper filter and it eventually made it to the carbs... then whammo it didn't run anymore. They can build quickly, maybe in just a weekend of it sitting somewhere still.

I had field mice in my bike, and my work truck. Ended up costing me $hundreds of dollars. In truck they destroyed my vacuum lines that worked my air conditioning. Pulled out a huge nest! The truck had only been sitting 4 days!!! Check the airbox!!! I keep my grass cut, and yards clean. I told my cat he was fired if it ever happened again!

I hope I win this contest!

Old September 10th, 2010, 11:03 AM   #48
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
in this picture on the top right hand side, see the front of the carb connected to the big black tube? There is a black clamp holding the carb to the rubber tube. make sure that's tight on both carbs.

there are the same type of clamps on the rear of the carbs connecting the carbs to the airbox.

check to see that they are tight, also.

ignore the screw he's playing with at the bottom of the picture.
Thanks for the picture!! I might take a look at it tonight or tomorrow morning to see if those are loose

Old September 10th, 2010, 11:05 AM   #49
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpsiguy View Post
I had the very same problem on my 1981 Honda CX500 when a mouse decided to build a house of straw in my air box. Same problems you are describing... they had chewed up my paper filter and it eventually made it to the carbs... then whammo it didn't run anymore. They can build quickly, maybe in just a weekend of it sitting somewhere still.

I had field mice in my bike, and my work truck. Ended up costing me $hundreds of dollars. In truck they destroyed my vacuum lines that worked my air conditioning. Pulled out a huge nest! The truck had only been sitting 4 days!!! Check the airbox!!! I keep my grass cut, and yards clean. I told my cat he was fired if it ever happened again!

I hope I win this contest!
I doubt mice did that to my bike because as far as I can tell we have not had any mice in our garage. But I'll check the airbox just in case...

Old September 11th, 2010, 06:30 PM   #50
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Ok, dropped the bike off at the Kawi dealer today. Obviously, as soon as the service guy attempted to start it, it fired up right away BUT.. it did not last long and my baby died shortly after. He noticed the idle issue and said it may be the carbs and also noticed the throttle was not returning the way it should and said that should be a quick fix. I told him to just give it an overall tune up, change the oil and check the tire pressure, so I can start a good maintenance record. I should have a call back tuesday or wednesday on the "findings". I hope it'll be a quick fix.

Old September 12th, 2010, 01:55 AM   #51
Lurkable
250Arrrgh!

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R, 2001 996

How do they tow the bike exactly? I have a AAA membership and always wondered how this would work should the need arise.
Lurkable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2010, 07:10 AM   #52
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkable View Post
How do they tow the bike exactly? I have a AAA membership and always wondered how this would work should the need arise.
Make sure you have the RV/Motorcycle coverage, just the regular membership won't work. They come with a flatbed truck, you push the bike all the way to the end of the flatbed and they strap it upright with some special orange straps that tie around both tires. It's very well secured and won't move once they're done. I'm glad I had that coverage, it saved me some extra $$ for sure.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old September 12th, 2010, 08:42 AM   #53
Grn99Kawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Honda CBR600F4 (sold) 1999 Ninja 250 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
Ok, dropped the bike off at the Kawi dealer today. Obviously, as soon as the service guy attempted to start it, it fired up right away BUT.. it did not last long and my baby died shortly after. He noticed the idle issue and said it may be the carbs and also noticed the throttle was not returning the way it should and said that should be a quick fix. I told him to just give it an overall tune up, change the oil and check the tire pressure, so I can start a good maintenance record. I should have a call back tuesday or wednesday on the "findings". I hope it'll be a quick fix.
Wow.. tune up? prepare to spend a lot of money... between oil change, plugs and air filter they will probably hit you up for $200.. there isnt a fuel pump or a fuel filter on your bike.... for $2 get one from AdvanceAutoParts for a lawn mower... I think its 1/4in.. plumb that in the fuel hose (fuel is gravity fed from tank)

If they end up cleaning and/or sync'in the carbs.. wow.. get your checkbook ready...

If you can't do the work yourself... well... what are you going to do I guess... I hate being at the mercy of a mechanic shop whether for the car or the truck.. working on the N250 is really easy... get some god tools and a ervice manual.. and it doesnt hurt to have a friend that knows what they are doing to watch and help.

I still think it is the vent hose or something stupid.... the throttle isnt opening correctly? it is either opening or not.. and if it is opening it should open all teh way and spring back... there isnt much to it, right?

Good luck

1999 Kawi Racing Green Ninja 250 sold
Grn99Kawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2010, 02:52 PM   #54
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grn99Kawi View Post
Wow.. tune up? prepare to spend a lot of money... between oil change, plugs and air filter they will probably hit you up for $200..
If they end up cleaning and/or sync'in the carbs.. wow.. get your checkbook ready...

If you can't do the work yourself... well... what are you going to do I guess...

I still think it is the vent hose or something stupid.... the throttle isnt opening correctly? it is either opening or not.. and if it is opening it should open all teh way and spring back... there isnt much to it, right?

Good luck
Yeah I am prepared to spend 2/300 bucks, but considering I got the bike for cheap ($1500) I guess I'll consider the extra money I'm spending for the tune up as if I had paid those for a fully tuned up bike. After the first tune up is done, I want to start learning to do some basic maintenance myself, with the help of the service manual and this forum I just want to get started with everything in good working order, and then go from there.
The throttle is opening all the way, but not returning back all the way. It gets stuck mid-way so the spring might not be working correctly.

Old September 12th, 2010, 02:57 PM   #55
Grn99Kawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Honda CBR600F4 (sold) 1999 Ninja 250 (sold)

Quote:
Yeah I am prepared to spend 2/300 bucks, but considering I got the bike for cheap ($1500) I guess I'll consider the extra money I'm spending for the tune up as if I had paid those for a fully tuned up bike. After the first tune up is done, I want to start learning to do some basic maintenance myself, with the help of the service manual and this forum I just want to get started with everything in good working order, and then go from there.
The throttle is opening all the way, but not returning back all the way. It gets stuck mid-way so the spring might not be working correctly.
Ahh... if its not returning, it is probably not the spring.. that is built into teh carbs and rarely goes bad.. the 250 has 2 throttle cables.. one to open and one to close.. more than likely one is binding or bad.. I found my closing cable was about 2 metal strands from breaking before I replaced them both... I made a post on here about a year ago... You can get them on ebay for cheap since the bike was unchanged for nearly 20 years.. get one off an 06 or 07...

Despite these forums being probably the best about the Ninja, www.ninja250.org has the most comprehensive FAQ anywhere.. it makes pretty much any project more manageable.. plus I might even have the service manual as a pdf I could send you.. I'll check....

1999 Kawi Racing Green Ninja 250 sold
Grn99Kawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2010, 08:13 PM   #56
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Any update on what the mechanic discovered was the problem or problems?
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2010, 09:00 PM   #57
highpsiguy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 1981 Honda Cx500 Custom, 2002 Ninja 250

Inquiry minds wanna know.

Old September 16th, 2010, 09:05 PM   #58
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

I'll probably know tomorrow.. these people sure are taking their sweet time! I called today and they said the bike was on the bench () being worked on... They'll call me tomorrow they said..
I miss her!

Old September 17th, 2010, 01:36 PM   #59
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Soooo... I just spoke to the technician who worked on my bike, and he said the carbs were out of sync and the throttle was super dirty, so he had to take it apart and clean it out. Now it's no longer sticking. The idle issue and engine dying was due to the carbs out of sync.
He said that's all he did because he could not find anything else wrong with the bike

$ 260 lost.. but I hope she's all good now. I'll pick her up tomorrow!!!

Old September 17th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #60
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Self poof.

Last futzed with by JeffM; September 17th, 2010 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Pays to read the whole thread.
JeffM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2010, 01:59 PM   #61
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
Have the valves ever been adjusted?

Retrieved from http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/My_engi...running_poorly
Not by me for sure.. who knows what happened before I got her.
I didn't feel like even trying to mess with it before it had been checked out by someone who has some kind of knowledge on bikes Now that the shop got it all checked out, if I see any more issues I'll come here for help and see if I can handle some of it by myself

Old September 17th, 2010, 06:59 PM   #62
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Glad to see that it was a simple fix for the tech. Hope to see some posts of your riding adventures with some pics.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2010, 07:13 PM   #63
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Glad to see that it was a simple fix for the tech. Hope to see some posts of your riding adventures with some pics.
Thank you! I am soooo excited to go pick her up tomorrow you have no idea
I'll be riding about 24 miles back home so it'll be fun. I missed riding so much!

Old September 18th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #64
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Took her back home today, 24 miles of back roads and some twisties, nothing too difficult, I'm not ready for that yet, but it sure was fun! For the San Diego locals we took hwy 67 from El Cajon to northern San Diego. The bike had no issues, the idle was working fine and the throttle was no longer sticking
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Road.jpg (221.0 KB, 4 views)

Old September 18th, 2010, 03:02 PM   #65
kkim

now that you have the bike back and running well, take the time to bring it back up to date with regards to it's deferred/unknown maintenance, so you can ride it assured that it will never let you down again... ever.

have fun

Old September 18th, 2010, 03:02 PM   #66
ryu hayabusa
ninjette.org member

Name: ion

Motorcycle(s): 2000 ninja 250r

that's awesome. great job! (watch tim and eric awesome show)

Old September 18th, 2010, 05:57 PM   #67
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Took her back home today, 24 miles of back roads and some twisties, nothing too difficult, I'm not ready for that yet, but it sure was fun! For the San Diego locals we took hwy 67 from El Cajon to northern San Diego. The bike had no issues, the idle was working fine and the throttle was no longer sticking
So you had your bike worked on out in El Cajon? Seems pretty far outta the way.....We use to hit up Tony Smith Racing out there. Very nice two stroke mechanic, hes probably not there any more..
Good to hear your bike is running and your out riding again
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2010, 08:56 PM   #68
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
now that you have the bike back and running well, take the time to bring it back up to date with regards to it's deferred/unknown maintenance, so you can ride it assured that it will never let you down again... ever.

have fun
I will definitely do that
Thank you for your help trying to identify the problem

Old September 18th, 2010, 08:59 PM   #69
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
So you had your bike worked on out in El Cajon? Seems pretty far outta the way.....We use to hit up Tony Smith Racing out there. Very nice two stroke mechanic, hes probably not there any more..
Good to hear your bike is running and your out riding again
El Cajon is not close by, and there were other dealerships closer to us, but the one we chose had good reviews online and we were not disappointed. The guy that serviced my bike was upfront on what he was going to do and was very honest and didn't try to sneak in some extra repairs that didn't need to be done. Great place

Old September 18th, 2010, 09:01 PM   #70
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Coo Happy you got it going again and that the problems were relatively minor

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2010, 09:13 PM   #71
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00NissanNinja View Post
Coo Happy you got it going again and that the problems were relatively minor
Thank you I just hope these bikes don't need to have the carbs sync'ed that often..

Old September 18th, 2010, 09:26 PM   #72
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Quote:
Thank you I just hope these bikes don't need to have the carbs sync'ed that often..
I hope not as well. But it is supposed to get inspected every year or two depending on how much you ride

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote