ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old February 11th, 2012, 11:11 PM   #81
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

Hahaha, and I thought I was the only one that waved.

And no I won't flip the bird at little kids, just other bikers that won't acknowledge my existence, people trying to kill me, or the motorcycle police officer that doesn't wave back.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2012, 01:00 AM   #82
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ms.T, Queen of the Night

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
I was joking! I wouldn't do that!
Good. Some people would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
oh Yeah I still wave at the cool bikes too. And

and you know that when you have a helmet on, people can't see the silly faces that you make at them right? they just think you're being creepy and looking at them for a prolonged period of time compared to just a glance
They can see the faces you make to a certain degree. When a person smiles, it's pretty obvious even if you only see the eyes. Try it.
It's amazing what someone's eye say. There's a whole school of study on that. I think the police use those markers quite frequently.

If it's little boys, I make sure my hair is out and you can see their little eyes pop open and read the lips: "It's a girl!!" Too funny.
Firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2012, 01:05 AM   #83
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
@ Inappropriate but hilarious name

I thought the same thing. Some random person, staring.
I could look at you a certain way with my helmet on and you would not mistake my meaning at all.

That got me thinking, Nick. I know that a Jpass is what is given to patients when they leave for the day and that Chris is one of a kind but do you know what a female firehorse actually symbolizes? It's oh-so-appropriate.

Old February 12th, 2012, 01:17 AM   #84
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

There's some good advice in this thread, but most importantly you guys/girls really need to get to know your bikes! You should know where you'll be in the revs shifting from one gear to another, even skipping a gear, before you release the clutch. You should know how much acceleration you can expect in each gear at a certaiin RPM. If you don't know how your bike reacts to your inputs, you can't expect to be comfortable riding it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2012, 01:25 AM   #85
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse View Post
Then I'd rather ride with him than a squid. If being safe is...pussy???, bring 'em on.

And didn't guys like you spend your entire life trying to find pussy? You guys have to make up your mind whether insulting slang for women's body parts is good or bad. LOL!

Why do men use 'pussy' as a reference to scared or cowardly? Are they afraid to use current english of afraid to call another man a coward??

Just askin'
One term comes from the expression "pussyfooting" meaning playing it safe by treading carefully like a feline. The vulgar meaning of pussy comes from the French word for a woman's purse. The words are not related.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old February 12th, 2012, 01:27 AM   #86
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
There's some good advice in this thread, but most importantly you guys/girls really need to get to know your bikes! You should know where you'll be in the revs shifting from one gear to another, even skipping a gear, before you release the clutch. You should know how much acceleration you can expect in each gear at a certaiin RPM. If you don't know how your bike reacts to your inputs, you can't expect to be comfortable riding it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Good point.
Check back a few posts about rpms, we did mention that. I actually had to use my manual rpm numbers before my shifting became nice and smooth . I don't look down now but I sure did for the first while. It really helped when I first started. When I get the bike out again in spring, I'll probably be looking down at the rpms again for a while..

Old February 12th, 2012, 01:30 AM   #87
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
if you drop like 10 gears then drop the clutch the rear tire will slip out but it wont lock up.

yes, 10 gears.
This is wrong. Sorry, but the rear WILL lock up. When you drop the clutch after 10 shifts and push the engine to 60,000rpm, the piston will crack on the floating valves. I can tell you from experiance that when the engine seizes, the real wheel does lock up.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old February 12th, 2012, 01:30 AM   #88
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
One term comes from the expression "pussyfooting" meaning playing it safe by treading carefully like a feline. The vulgar meaning of pussy comes from the French word for a woman's purse. The words are not related.
Posted via Mobile Device
I do know the etymology of the slang 'pussy' but thanks for your version. Care to comment on its use on this forum? It seems to be used in place of something akin to coward or chicken.

Old February 12th, 2012, 01:35 AM   #89
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse View Post
I do know the etymology of the slang 'pussy' but thanks for your version. Care to comment on its use on this forum? It seems to be used in place of something akin to coward or chicken.
same as pussyfoot, it's a reference to the timidness of cats.
"scaredy-cat" means the same thing as calling someone a pussy.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old February 12th, 2012, 01:56 AM   #90
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
same as pussyfoot, it's a reference to the timidness of cats.
"scaredy-cat" means the same thing as calling someone a pussy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Funny to have someone telling me about their definitions of words. Kinda cool. One of my favourite subjects considering my jobs.

Pussyfooting was used in early writing as a metaphor for being quiet (like a cat) not scared or timid. That came later.

Here's some common ones that are consistent with current references:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pussy

Pussyfooting here contains a second reference including your definition:
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pussyfoot
I should update that sucker, doesn't even have references to the early uses of the term. Tsk, tsk.

Are you a wordy?

Old February 12th, 2012, 02:19 AM   #91
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Skippii, yours only tops out at 60?