Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old December 18th, 2012, 04:05 PM   #121
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I disagree with pulling in front of cars once at the front of the light. I think it goes against the reasons why we promote filtering to car drivers: "look, we're not getting in front of you in traffic, we're using spaces that aren't be being used to get out of your way and move on wards". Cutting in front of another driver and stopping in front of their path, is making a stronger statement, and is more likely to aggravate a certain portion of drivers. From a personal danger standpoint, I'm not sure either choice is that much safer. A distracted driver might look up at the light and move forward without realizing a small bike is now in their way; that same driver wouldn't be likely to impact a bike that is still positioned in between the lanes.
It's done bit differently on this side of the water, we filter up to the front, cut in & are usually ahead of the stop line.

It's almost seen as rude to sit in the middle blocking other bikes, scooter riders do it, bikers generally pull in to let a second bike take up position, and the bikes generally stagger at the front.

On green the bikes are away before the cages are even in gear & usually back filtering before they get anywhere.

Then again, we drive on the left, have a 'get in gear light' & regularly click into neutral at the lights because of it.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 18th, 2012, 04:11 PM   #122
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
On green the bikes are away before the cages are even in gear & usually back filtering before they get anywhere.
I like looking back in my mirror to see the cars behind getting further into the distance!

Slow fumbling cages!
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 18th, 2012, 04:48 PM   #123
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
I like looking back in my mirror to see the cars behind getting further into the distance!

Slow fumbling cages!
reading this gave me the funniest image of a squirrel looking back at traffic laughing as she rides off a cliff

Old December 19th, 2012, 05:11 AM   #124
Z300
Ninja noobie

Name: NOOBIE

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I disagree with pulling in front of cars once at the front of the light. I think it goes against the reasons why we promote filtering to car drivers: "look, we're not getting in front of you in traffic, we're using spaces that aren't be being used to get out of your way and move on wards". Cutting in front of another driver and stopping in front of their path, is making a stronger statement, and is more likely to aggravate a certain portion of drivers. From a personal danger standpoint, I'm not sure either choice is that much safer. A distracted driver might look up at the light and move forward without realizing a small bike is now in their way; that same driver wouldn't be likely to impact a bike that is still positioned in between the lanes.
But cagers are crazy and don't feel like letting you back in unless you go in front :3
Z300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 19th, 2012, 11:55 AM   #125
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
reading this gave me the funniest image of a squirrel looking back at traffic laughing as she rides off a cliff
love your sense of humor!

That made me laugh lots!
akima is offline   Reply With Quote