ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

View Poll Results: Have you taken the MSF course?
Yes 329 85.90%
No 54 14.10%
Voters: 383. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 4th, 2008, 03:33 PM   #1
kkim

MSF Course... Have You Taken It?

If yes, your feedback.

If no, why not?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2008, 04:17 PM   #2
islanderman7
The Sexy Filipino

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2008 (da black one)

Yes. Took it because I heard the licensing was easier to obtain than through the DMV.
islanderman7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2008, 04:19 PM   #3
g21-30
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Yes, it's an excellent class in Virginia.
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2008, 04:22 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Yeppers. Definitely the way to go here in California, if only for the ease in getting a full license compared to the antiquated DMV test. The course itself was reasonably useful as well. By no means are you an accomplished motorcyclist after completing the course, but it's a good start to the learning process.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2008, 04:26 PM   #5
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I took the Motorcycle Course that was offered in New York State back in 1958. I took the test on a 250 NSU. Back then, the test involved doing a series of figure eights without putting a foot down, hand signals (no directional lights back then), a couple of "panic stops", and a road portion requiring right and left turns and a lane change. Back then everybody was riding big bikes. A 250 was considered a scooter. I bought an Ariel Square Four 1000 to be part of the crowd. It was really too much bike for me then--and probably would be now. I have ridden H-D`s but felt they handled like a truck. Looking back, the best handling bikes I have ridden were a Ducati Diana 250, a Bultaco Metralla, and a Benelli 250. I also liked the Jawa 360. The Triumph 500 was also a nice bike. I did get hooked on cafe racers in 1965 and got a Norton 750 Atlas that was equipped with Dunstall components. It was a fine bike that handled well--raised hell with the H-D guys, Had the Norton till 82 when I quit riding and got into sailboats. Bought the Ninja in June 08 and have to say that it is the most refined bike I have ever owned. The bike oozes precision and quality. Kawasaki engineers literally outdid themselves on that bike. I had a BMW R-60 for quite a while--200,000 miles worth, and in all honesty, the Kawa is a .better bike. The price by today`s standards is not too dusty.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2008, 04:27 PM   #6
Ducati916Senna
ninjette.org member

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250R, 00 Yamaha WR400F, 98 Ducati 916 Senna #233, 94 ZZR400

Nope. My brother taught me. He was a Master Safety Instructor for the Air Force. My wife did take it though and I think it helped her tremendously.
"For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?" Mark 8:36

Last futzed with by Ducati916Senna; December 4th, 2008 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Because
Ducati916Senna is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2008, 04:28 PM   #7
kkim

so vote in the poll, you last 2 guys.

Old December 4th, 2008, 07:00 PM   #8
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

Yes, I took the advanced course a couple of years ago. Even though I've been riding for a long time it was still beneficial. It was great to work through the instructors steps without having to think about other traffic. I only wish that we had our Ninjette at the time, I did it on my Concours instead. That definately made it a challenge to keep it in the box.
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2008, 12:24 AM   #9
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

yes

required in the Army, at least here in HI. I thought that it was great, coming from never owning a bike to have the license in a matter of days. Made getting the license a whole lot easier. Today I finally got the last I needed to ride. The US Army Hawaii requires you to have the MSF, license and a eval on your bike, and every bike that you will be riding. My 250 is really sluggish in first and the figure 8 was a pain, till I figured out to ride it in 2nd and then I aced it.

NB
ninjabrewer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2008, 12:41 AM   #10
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjabrewer View Post
required in the Army, at least here in HI. I thought that it was great, coming from never owning a bike to have the license in a matter of days. Made getting the license a whole lot easier. Today I finally got the last I needed to ride. The US Army Hawaii requires you to have the MSF, license and a eval on your bike, and every bike that you will be riding. My 250 is really sluggish in first and the figure 8 was a pain, till I figured out to ride it in 2nd and then I aced it.

NB
Chris,

Sounds like your bike is a candidate for shimmimg.

Old December 5th, 2008, 06:20 AM   #11
toku
ninjette.org member

Name: Yuri

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

I took it back when I first started riding. At the time I was still a minor so it was the only way my parents would let me get on a bike. The course is free in PA though so it wasn't really a difficult decision. I found it really helped highlight the differences in riding technique between dirt and street.

I'll probably end up taking it again in the spring since my girlfriend is looking into getting licensed.

Old December 5th, 2008, 07:27 AM   #12
talldrink
ninjette.org guru

Name: Deb

Motorcycle(s): '09 ninja 250 (blue)

Yep I took it so I could upgrade to a larger scooter. But...........after riding the motorcycles at the MSF course, I realized riding a motorcycle is more fun!! So I passed the course and two months later I bought my '09 ninja.
talldrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2008, 07:58 AM   #13
camaroz1985

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

I also took it. It is free in PA, and if you pass the test at the end you get your license. I had never been on a motorcycle before the class, so I didn't want to go buy a bike before I knew if I would like it. Also not learning on your brand new bike makes things a little easier on the nerves.

I feel it really helped me with the basics, and because I had no experience at all that is what I needed. Obviously after the class there is still much to learn about actually riding on the road.

I took the first class of the year, and got my bike 2 weeks later. I trucked it home and rode around a parking lot for a while familiarizing myself with the bike before I even thought about going on public roads.

So far so good (Couldn't find a :knock on wood: smiley so that will have to do)
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2008, 10:13 AM   #14
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjabrewer View Post

NB

I think it's a DoD requirement these days. I work at Los Angeles AFB where it's required, so they provide(d) the course for free. Which makes their whole process for military and civil servants pretty easy. Their only grey area is whether, or how to, enforce that requirement with contractors. It used to be that if there was an empty slot available in a class then a contractor could take it. At least that's what they were doing at this base, I'm not sure what they're doing now. Occasionally there's a survey on base to see if all of the motorcycle riders have had safety training, I can say "Yes" and show them my card if needs be.
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2008, 02:11 PM   #15
jdesiano1
Stealth like Ninja, Lol

Name: Jessica

Motorcycle(s): Red 2008 250

Well worth it.

I loved it. It improved my confidence and definitely my ability. Anyone who thinks they won't benefit is mistaken.
jdesiano1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2008, 03:02 PM   #16
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

When I took it I think it was about $170 for the weekend. Was the best way for me to get my license so it was a no-brainer.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2008, 03:27 PM   #17
Sailariel

Back in 1958 there was no such thing as an MSF Course. NY DMV did have a test one had to pass in order to get an MC endorsement on their license. My licence was "Motorcycle Only" I did not get an automobile license till 1965.

Old December 5th, 2008, 03:37 PM   #18
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Allmayer Beck View Post
Back in 1958 there was no such thing as an MSF Course. NY DMV did have a test one had to pass in order to get an MC endorsement on their license. My licence was "Motorcycle Only" I did not get an automobile license till 1965.
Neither was there any in 1970 when I got my MC license. For all these years I thought I was good to go with learning by the seat of my pants. It was constant exposure in other forums that made me realize there may be things which I might not know that could help.

A few months ago, I took the ERC MSF course at the local Navy base. Although a lot of what was taught were things I had learned throughout the years through experience, I did learn a thing or two about some basics I had overlooked in all my years of riding.

Point of my post is to say, you are never to old to consider taking the MSF course. I'm glad I did after all these years. It may end up saving my life one day.

Old December 5th, 2008, 04:25 PM   #19
Sailariel

I think I`ll sign up fot the course this Spring. It is given a quarter mile from our home.

Old December 5th, 2008, 04:33 PM   #20
kkim

With your time in the saddle, see if they will let you take the ERC (Experienced Rider Course)... same as the basic course with a bit more detail thrown in.

Good luck... I feel you will find this time well spent.

Old December 5th, 2008, 04:44 PM   #21
zeroth
weekend rider

Name: JC

Motorcycle(s): '05 Ninja 250

Worth every penny ....

Um, well, here in Central IL it's free. So it's worth quite a bit more than every penny! I did donate to the MSF though. Really good to advocate safety. Heck they should do it for cages too, but driving a car is so common, people think they can just hop on a bike and transition without thinking. This course really makes you think. I'm thinking of taking it again next year or the year after (I did only slightly better than average).
zeroth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2008, 06:43 PM   #22
Panocha Rider
Da Rider

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

I work on a Marine Corps Base and to ride a bike the MSF course is required. I have taken the ERC (Experienced Rider Course) two times now. Once a hundred years ago when i was a Marine and just recently as a general refresher to keep from getting into bad habits.

I enjoyed the course. I found it to be well run and full of info.

Old December 5th, 2008, 07:05 PM   #23
vonbeezy
Professional Newb

Name: Hunter

Motorcycle(s): 08' Lime Ninja 250r :)

YEPPERS!!!

The class was fun, and the instructor was a mechanic from Toyota who I actually job shadowed last year in auto tech. But yeah i loved the class even though it was chilly, but didnt rain! and i also got the highest scores on my test, even having to lead the pack and go first on each one
vonbeezy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2008, 11:24 PM   #24
zartan

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

Yes a million years ago. 1992 so a refresher would be good. I still remember a lot from that class and it also helped me be a better car driver also. Taught me good habits about cornering and looking ahead and past obstacles. Not to fixate.. etc..
Helps in insurance costs and back then you did not automatically get your endorsement. NowI think it counts here in WA for the driving part.

we shoud sign up for the ERC. I know it would be good for me.

Old December 6th, 2008, 03:03 PM   #25
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Allmayer Beck View Post
DMV in Cali wouldnt go for that(1980), I had to get a auto license first. Everything else is an endorsment they said. Kinda sucked, had to borrow a car to get it. Was in court one time, the judge was taking my license. I told him all my tickets are on a motorcycle, why dont you just take that endorsment off. He said it didnt work that way............ So I told him the story on getting a license, he just laughed

On the MSF course, I never took it. Iam old, why bother now......
I did get it for my wife, really good thing for a newbie now days. Also it got her "motorcycle also" on her license without taking any test at DMV. Florida now has done away with tests, you have to take the MSF to get your endorsment.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2008, 10:15 PM   #26
djpharoah
\m/

Name: Mesh

Motorcycle(s): CBR600F3 Smokin Joes

Yuh - took it and found it very confidence inspiring. Can't imagine riding without having taken the class.
djpharoah is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2008, 11:46 PM   #27
vonbeezy
Professional Newb

Name: Hunter

Motorcycle(s): 08' Lime Ninja 250r :)

2 second rule anyone?!?!
vonbeezy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2008, 08:39 AM   #28
workdaddy
WORKDADDY

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 2fitty

Well Summer of '02 my lil brother and I brought home each a CBR 600.. Mom and Dad freaked out and said if you own those things you will take the ryders course and we will pay for it... Okay we say. Both my brother and i have ridin for years, but the course was a blast. Great things they have in the learning process. Plus like others have said it makes it easier for the DMV part (waiver for drive test). Recommend it for all People!!!
workdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2008, 01:13 AM   #29
rhequiem
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Corey

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

I took it 2 weeks ago. One of my instructors ran up to me as I was walking out the gate after the test and informed me that I achieved a perfect score on the test, which he told me was pretty rare for the classes he taught, and that I should be happy about that
rhequiem is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2008, 07:02 AM   #30
Artood2s
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Arturo

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (The fast color)

Yes. It is a requirement to get a motorcycle endoresement in Florida, but I would have taken it anyway. Having never ridden a motorcycle before I had an easy time with most of the exercises except those evil u-turns I touched the line everytime during the learning and warm-up sessions, but somehow I aced them during the test. Talk about clutch

I came away with a lot of confidence after taking the course. I would recommend it to anyone, ESPECIALLY to those who have never ridden before.
Artood2s is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2008, 12:13 PM   #31
JS73
ninjette.org guru

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

Yes, took it here in Florida. The course was pretty good, although some of the people that passed, I...really don't know how they did. I guess you had to drop the bike to fail Anyway, I still recomend that everyone take some type of formal motorcycle instruction, especially if you are a first timer.

I took a race school in October (Ed Bargy), now that was $ well spent.
Planning on spending more $ on seat time.
JS73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2008, 10:07 AM   #32
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

I took it! It helped me get my license and lowered my insurance, at the time.

I also have a dvd - Ride Like a Pro - that helped out a lot too!

Old December 14th, 2008, 01:07 PM   #33
aloh
lolwut

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I just passed it! Woohoo!!

Old December 14th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #34
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloh View Post
I just passed it! Woohoo!!
congrats, sir!!

how was it?

Old December 14th, 2008, 01:25 PM   #35
Syphen
Some weird Canuck!

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): '92 CBR250RR "Babyblade", 2008 Ninja 250R, 2001 CBR600F4i

Took the Canadian Gearing Up course (our version of MSF) It was a great way to spend a weekend. The only thing is: I rode to the school everyday on my CBR600F2. I rode a Yamaha DT125 i think it was. Just a tiny little dirt bike. By the end of the day I was so used to throwing the little 125 around that when I jumped on the CBR600, I almost dropped it in the parking lot because of how heavy it was.

Overall, I would recommend these types of courses to everyone. It REALLY helped my fiance out before she started riding the Ninja 250R.
Syphen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 14th, 2008, 01:57 PM   #36
aloh
lolwut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
congrats, sir!!

how was it?
Thank you kind sir!

It was pretty fun. They got to use their only older gen ninja 250! Everyone else got 125cc dirtbikes or honda rebels. I learned some tips and handy tricks, specifically about really looking where you want to go. That works so well.

The only tricky bits I still need to work on are low speed tight u-turns. Overall, I did pretty well.

Old December 14th, 2008, 02:08 PM   #37
kkim

Quote:
The only tricky bits I still need to work on are low speed tight u-turns. Overall, I did pretty well.
ah, yes... the box!

practice, son... practice. We had a guy in a full dress Harley in our class and he had no problems in the box... thing of beauty when someone can handle such a beast, so well... and it was a borrowed bike from his friend!

Old December 14th, 2008, 02:19 PM   #38
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
I learned some tips and handy tricks, specifically about really looking where you want to go. That works so well.
Congrats on passing the class Looking where you want to go is like the #1 thing on a bike. I told this to the wife over & over before

I snuck over & took some pics & video of her. You know to remember the day, I was so happy seeing her turn her head
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image1.jpg (193.2 KB, 38 views)
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 14th, 2008, 07:12 PM   #39
aloh
lolwut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
ah, yes... the box!

practice, son... practice. We had a guy in a full dress Harley in our class and he had no problems in the box... thing of beauty when someone can handle such a beast, so well... and it was a borrowed bike from his friend!
Damn that box. I went over the line once when they were doing the evaluations.

I will be sure to get plenty of practice in during my winter break from school!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
Congrats on passing the class Looking where you want to go is like the #1 thing on a bike.
Thanks! I was surprised by how effective it really is.

Old December 14th, 2008, 10:43 PM   #40
Mista Bob
Über n00b

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Triumph TT600, Honda NS50F, Kawasaki ZZR-250 (sold)

We don't actually have the MSF courses up here.
But I did take a course that's essentially exactly the same thing.
Had a decent amount of previous experience on dirt bikes and still found it very helpful.
Mista Bob is offline   Reply With Quote