ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old October 17th, 2012, 02:10 PM   #81
Lakeshow
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeffrey

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ZX6R

Holy crap wind!

So today got out of class and went on the freeway to go drop something off to my girlfriend about 30 minutes from my house and wow the wind was blowing so hard i was leaning a good 30 degrees to keep my bike straight. Needless to say i got off the next exit and went home as the wind was way too strong.

So my question to everyone who has high wind expierence, how do you ride in the wind, was i correct in leaning that much? Also how windy is too windy to be unsafe, i checked and it says the wind is at 32 mph and i figure the wind blast push it to 40mph
Lakeshow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2012, 02:23 PM   #82
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Lighten the death grip on the bars, relax your elbow and shoulders, keep your speeds in check, and have some fun leaning That's what I do. I tend to keep the motorcycle in the garage when it's massively windy though; big winds usually mean storms where I live.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2012, 02:40 PM   #83
Lakeshow
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeffrey

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ZX6R

Cool thanks for the advice, ive gotten a lot better in relaxing my arms and hands and using my thighs to support myself but still catch myself putting my weight on the bars. It was fun leaning definitely had a blast, but the wind gusts were way to strong for my level of expierence.
Lakeshow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2012, 02:53 PM   #84
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Gets very windy around here but it's usually not bad enough to make me not want to ride in it. When it gets really windy, I do generally try to avoid the highway though. Not necessarily because I'm scared I'll get blown over but more just because with wind, the acceleration isn't the same and everything just feels sluggish. Not sure if it'll really help but my #1 suggestion is practice, practice, practice. Like I've said before, I love riding the highways so I'm pretty used to the effects of wind on the bike so when it's really windy, it's nothing new. Just keep it relaxed and you'll be fine.

Old October 17th, 2012, 02:55 PM   #85
EsrTek
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Do what Chone said..
A word of advice, in high winds besides that, would be to make sure you park it somewhere where the wind is blocked. Strong winds can knock it over while parked.
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2012, 09:14 PM   #86
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/merged with main "wind" thread

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #87
RedOctober
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrei

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2008 Daytona 675

Light on the bars. Tuck in. Go faster, but not to the point of freakout. Know your problematic areas.
I usually take tollway back home in rush hour and have to take an overpass to my town. The overpass rises good 50 meters in the air above everything and is a prime spot for getting bitchslapped by wind. In wind gust 20mph+ situations I avoid it like a plague, after having been pushed out wide once on it (from left lane into right lane, right behind a car)
RedOctober is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2012, 04:45 PM   #88
Daks
Jersey Devil

Name: Daks

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250

I ride a windy ass highway every week. I just flatten to the tank, keep on the throttle and counter-lean the best I can.
Daks is offline   Reply With Quote