Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Old September 2nd, 2015, 08:40 PM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[motorcyclistonline] - How To Select the Best Cornering Lines | STREET SAVVY

©Motorcyclist

The basic cornering line is the “outside-inside-outside” (O-I-O) path that starts at the outside edge of the lane, continues to the inside (apex), and finishes near the outside at the corner exit.

Unlike cars and trucks, motorcycles occupy a narrow portion of a typical road, giving us the choice to ride in the left, center, or right part of the lane. This freedom offers some significant benefits, especially when cornering.

Last month, I talked about ways to identify the character of an approaching corner to help you determine a safe entry speed (see "Smooth Cornering Clues" here). This information also allows you to select the best “cornering line” or path through a corner.

The basic cornering line is the “outside-inside-outside” (O-I-O) path that starts at the outside edge of the lane, continues to the inside (apex), and finishes near the outside at the corner exit. Roadracers use versions of this basic line mainly because it is the fastest way around the racetrack. But cornering lines benefit both racers and street riders as a way to maximize traction and increase control.

Riding around corners without venturing far from the middle of the lane is fine when the road is predictable and speeds are low, but more precise lines become essential as the pace increases and corners become more challenging.

The most obvious benefit of the basic O-I-O line is that it straightens the corner radius, which means you use less lean angle for a given speed. I hear what you’re saying: You love leaning your motorcycle, so why would you want to straighten the curve? As much fun as it is to lean deep into corners, the more you lean the more traction and cornering clearance you use, leaving you with less grip and clearance to make corrections or avoid mid-corner hazards.

Entering a corner from the outside sets you up to ride a straighter path, and it also provides a better view into the corner so you can judge the radius and determine whether there is anything of concern around the bend. The wider you enter and the longer you can delay turn-in, the better angle of view you will have.

Delaying turn-in also sets you up for the indispensable delayed-apex line, where you wait until you are around the corner to apex. The beauty of the delayed apex is that it gets your bike pointed safely around the corner and not at the outside edge of the road. In contrast, an early apex forces you to carry more lean angle and increases the risk of you running out of pavement, ground clearance, or talent. This is especially true when dealing with the dreaded decreasing-radius turn. To execute a delayed apex you need to turn “late and quick,” staying wide for what may seem like an eternity before countersteering sharply toward the late apex.

The basic O-I-O line is great for stand-alone corners, but you’ll need to get creative when dealing with a series of curves. For example, if the next corner in a series changes direction, you’ll need to use an outside-inside-inside line. That way, you remain tight to the inside all the way around the corner where it becomes the outside entrance to the next curve.

Stringing together a series of corners requires precise turn-in timing combined with the correct amount of countersteering force. Turning too late and with not enough handlebar pressure can cause you to miss the apex, forcing you to ride around in the middle or outside of the lane and limiting your options for managing unexpected trouble.

Cornering lines can also be used to corner faster, but it’s a whole lot smarter to use this technique as a way to increase your margin for error if a corner tosses you a surprise.

As if this list of benefits isn’t enough, using cornering lines also makes riding super satisfying, as you interact more intimately with your bike and road. You’ll discover that carving perfect lines through a series of corners amps the fun factor way, way up.

MORE Street Savvy tips HERE

Click here for full story...