ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 10th, 2017, 07:22 AM   #1
Norway
ninjette.org member

Name: S n 0 r r £
Location: Stjoerdal, Norway (San Diego, CA, USA, 2015-2016 , Bielefeld, Nordrhein Westfalen,Germany 2021-'22)

Motorcycle(s): TMZ 5.952 "Tula" 200, Ninja 250 -Special ed. '11, ZZR 1400 (ZX14), Honda CB 1100 F Super Bol D'or

200 miles with old rear sprocket - damage done?

About 10 days ago i showed up at Ride in Trondheim, Norway, to have the 250 serviced. I was told that the mechanic had become ill, and that they could unfortunately not do the service on the bike that had been agreed upon earlier.
I should use it for a trip to Østersund, Sweden, a few days later, so instead I made an agreement with a workshop there, CJ Motorteknik. I had bought a new chain and the front and rear sprockets from a 3rd company in Norway.

After a couple of hours they called from CJ Motorteknik and told that the rear sprocket did not fit, so it was decided to change the front sprocket (smallest diameter) and the chain, but keep the old rear sprocket. I have always heard that both sprockets as well as the chain should be changed at the same time, not for old parts to damage new ones.

Since there was no chance in getting the right rear sprocket during my few days in Sweden, I drove approximately 300 kilometers (180 miles) with the combination of the old rear sprocket and a new chain and front sprocket.

The old chain and front sprocket were in bad shape. Should I change the old rear sprocket ASAP, or is it likely that the damage is done, anyway?

There is little, if any, visible wear on the rear sprocket. Should I rather just run the bike with the present mix of new chain and front sprocket and the old rear sprocket, or not..?

Thanks for any advice, and sorry if similar cases have already been debated here..
Norway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2017, 08:34 AM   #2
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

It's probably not a big deal to run the old rear sprocket if (and I stress if) it's truly in good shape, but I would go ahead and replace it for peace of mind, especially if you were already going to have it done.

Old July 10th, 2017, 09:16 AM   #3
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
You didn't hurt anything in that distance. I've changed a worn chain and kept the old rear sprocket many times, if it had little or no visible wear. Some sprockets can be turned over so the backs of the teeth become the drive surfaces, and it's essentially new again.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old July 11th, 2017, 09:09 AM   #4
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Should be fine

Old August 2nd, 2019, 12:02 AM   #5
Norway
ninjette.org member

Name: S n 0 r r £
Location: Stjoerdal, Norway (San Diego, CA, USA, 2015-2016 , Bielefeld, Nordrhein Westfalen,Germany 2021-'22)

Motorcycle(s): TMZ 5.952 "Tula" 200, Ninja 250 -Special ed. '11, ZZR 1400 (ZX14), Honda CB 1100 F Super Bol D'or

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norway View Post
About 10 days ago i showed up at Ride in Trondheim, Norway, to have the 250 serviced. I was told that the mechanic had become ill, and that they could unfortunately not do the service on the bike that had been agreed upon earlier.
I should use it for a trip to Østersund, Sweden, a few days later, so instead I made an agreement with a workshop there, CJ Motorteknik. I had bought a new chain and the front and rear sprockets from a 3rd company in Norway.

After a couple of hours they called from CJ Motorteknik and told that the rear sprocket did not fit, so it was decided to change the front sprocket (smallest diameter) and the chain, but keep the old rear sprocket. I have always heard that both sprockets as well as the chain should be changed at the same time, not for old parts to damage new ones.

Since there was no chance in getting the right rear sprocket during my few days in Sweden, I drove approximately 300 kilometers (180 miles) with the combination of the old rear sprocket and a new chain and front sprocket.

The old chain and front sprocket were in bad shape. Should I change the old rear sprocket ASAP, or is it likely that the damage is done, anyway?

There is little, if any, visible wear on the rear sprocket. Should I rather just run the bike with the present mix of new chain and front sprocket and the old rear sprocket, or not..?

Thanks for any advice, and sorry if similar cases have already been debated here..
Haven't been logged in for quite some time. I continued using the bike without doing anything, and found that the new chain (and sprockets) were worn out in just about 5000 miles.
So, I'll not combine a new chain with old parts another time..
Norway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2019, 12:47 AM   #6
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Yes, couple hundred KM is fine, but riding for years with worn rear-sprocket accelerated wear on your new chain and front-sprocket.

One trick that could have been done when CJ Motorteknik called about new rear-sprocket not fitting is to flip old sprocket inside-out. This places chain-load on other unworn side of teeth. Effectively doubling sprocket life.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2019, 05:53 AM   #7
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
One trick that could have been done when CJ Motorteknik called about new rear-sprocket not fitting is to flip old sprocket inside-out. This places chain-load on other unworn side of teeth. Effectively doubling sprocket life.
As I posted above.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2019, 02:31 PM   #8
Hexadecimus
ninjette.org member

Name: Hex

Motorcycle(s): EX250F, 1960 T100A, GPz900R, 74 XLCH, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
... so the backs of the teeth become the drive surfaces, and it's essentially new again.
Yeah......... it doesn't really work that way though
Hexadecimus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2019, 04:34 PM   #9
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexadecimus View Post
Yeah......... it doesn't really work that way though
Oh, why not?

We're talking about using new chain with flipped sprocket, not re-using old chain with spaced-out pins.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2019, 05:18 PM   #10
Hexadecimus
ninjette.org member

Name: Hex

Motorcycle(s): EX250F, 1960 T100A, GPz900R, 74 XLCH, etc.

Same reason. Accelerated wear and premature failure. They don't wear on just one side.
Hexadecimus is offline   Reply With Quote