ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 2nd, 2011, 11:50 AM   #1
maxwellca21
ninjette.org member

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250

HELP bike won't start after crash

I recently crash my bike and im trying to fix it right now. The bike doesn't starts, battery seem to be fully charged, bike is probably still in 3 or 4 gear since the drop, and i cant put it back to neutral because the foot peg broke off. I put the key in, hit the red switch, hold in the clutch and push start and NOTHING. No sparks, no noise, nothing. All the lights next to the tachometer turn on, brake light still work fine, signals light doesn't turn on.

more info on my bike condition:

right front signal is broken, left foot peg broke so gear shifter is not working. It was a pretty hard crash on palomar mtn. and when the guys help lifting my bike up, i saw gasoline poured out. I checked the gas tank, doesnt seen like there's any crack at all.

I appreciate any help i can get right now.

UPDATE:

So thanks to you guys, im able to start my bike now after shifting it back to neutral.

I switched out my Yoshi slip on and put back the original pipe, removed rearset adjuster.

Now i realized that my front rim is badly damaged
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0520.jpg (135.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0521.jpg (86.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0522.jpg (132.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0523.jpg (118.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0530.jpg (119.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0531.jpg (107.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0532.jpg (120.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0533.jpg (126.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0536.jpg (110.4 KB, 0 views)

Last futzed with by maxwellca21; August 5th, 2011 at 04:13 PM.
maxwellca21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2011, 11:55 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

If the lights are on, yet the starter doesn't even click when pressed, one of the safety interlocks is the cause. Could be the kill switch, the clutch interlock, the kickstand interlock, or the neutral interlock. In this case you're saying that it's not in neutral, so that limits it to 3.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2011, 11:56 AM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Hmmm! ok i think i understand a little better now... maybe your clutch trigger switch isn't hitting? or maybe your kickstand sensor switch? and since you can't get it into neutral it won't let you start?

edit: ahh alex beat me to it

Old August 2nd, 2011, 11:59 AM   #4
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i see just the mount has broken on your shifter... you might be able to get it into neutral by manually pulling on the rod, though it might be hard

Old August 2nd, 2011, 12:00 PM   #5
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
if you have a way to come over i have a spare oem left rearset you can have, or if you can wait a little while i can come over and check it out with you

Old August 2nd, 2011, 07:28 PM   #6
maxwellca21
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
if you have a way to come over i have a spare oem left rearset you can have, or if you can wait a little while i can come over and check it out with you
thanks man. let me know when you r free.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 07:30 PM   #7
maxwellca21
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
If the lights are on, yet the starter doesn't even click when pressed, one of the safety interlocks is the cause. Could be the kill switch, the clutch interlock, the kickstand interlock, or the neutral interlock. In this case you're saying that it's not in neutral, so that limits it to 3.
alex, what is clutch interlock and neutral interlock? I think it might be because of my kickstand, the springs came off and its kinda loose.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 08:18 PM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

There is a plunger near the clutch lever, that sticks out when the clutch is pulled, and when the clutch is released it pushes the little plastic plunger back in. If it's not working correctly, it's possible that the bike doesn't know your clutch is pulled in, and therefore will only start if it's in neutral.

The neutral sensor is internal to the transmission (not sure how to check it visually, if it's even possible). Basically, it's the sensor that pops on the green neutral light on the dash. If that isn't working, the bike never knows that it's in neutral, so the clutch needs to be pulled in to start.

If the kickstand is loose, springs off etc., I'd take a close look at the kickstand sensor.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:15 AM   #9
maxwellca21
ninjette.org member

Quote:
There is a plunger near the clutch lever, that sticks out when the clutch is pulled, and when the clutch is released it pushes the little plastic plunger back in. If it's not working correctly, it's possible that the bike doesn't know your clutch is pulled in, and therefore will only start if it's in neutral.

The neutral sensor is internal to the transmission (not sure how to check it visually, if it's even possible). Basically, it's the sensor that pops on the green neutral light on the dash. If that isn't working, the bike never knows that it's in neutral, so the clutch needs to be pulled in to start.

If the kickstand is loose, springs off etc., I'd take a close look at the kickstand sensor.
ah thank you alex! will do that first thing tomorrow.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:49 AM   #10
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
For what it's worth, my bike wont start if it's in gear no matter what I do. It has to be in neutral. Try using some pliars or wrench or something as a gear shifter and see if you can get it back to neutral.

Alex, this thread is in the wrong location. OP has an 09. Just FYI.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2011, 05:52 AM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
For what it's worth, my bike wont start if it's in gear no matter what I do. It has to be in neutral.
Your clutch interlock isn't working, make sure that plunger near the clutch lever freely goes in and out.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 05:52 AM   #12
Alex
ninjette.org dude

/moved to new-gen tech

Old September 5th, 2011, 02:53 PM   #13
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Your clutch interlock isn't working, make sure that plunger near the clutch lever freely goes in and out.
Where do I find the clutch switch? My bike only starts in neutral for me after falling in the dirt. It fell in the right side so there is nothing wrong at the lever end.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2011, 04:21 PM   #14
Alex
ninjette.org dude

How many threads you plan to bump with this?

Old September 5th, 2011, 05:04 PM   #15
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
How many threads you plan to bump with this?
They're all surprisingly recent (last several months) and none have that specific bit of information I'm looking for yet. The participants are likely looking at these threads and not mine and it's not something mentioned in my OP or title, so: The more, the merrier (though I'm done now).

It certainly got me an answer or two so far! I was ready to let my thread die and continue the conversation in an existing thread as soon as I heard "clutch safety switch" in the very first reply. Next step was to search for exactly that and then to ask because none of the results mentioned the location. My question in this thread was really asking where the wiring was routed because I very much doubt that a right-side drop physically damaged anything on the left bar and also I have reason to suspect other electrical issues (gauge light going out right when this started).

Thanks for everything.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote