ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Old June 12th, 2008, 01:06 PM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[motorcyclistonline.com - first rides] - Ducati 848 - Ten Nine Eight In Miniature -

Ducati 848 - Ten Nine Eight In Miniature - First Ride
Ducati 848
The sun sinks slowly toward the distant mountains, casting long shadows over the gleaming row of white Ducatis parked alongside the Almeria race circuit in southern Spain. As we thank the mechanics and drag our gearbags onto the waiting bus, I can't help but wish I was on one of those 848s chasing the sun over those mountains. The new middleweight superbike was excellent on the track and I'm anxious to try it on the street, especially after Engine Project Engineer Marco Sairu made a comparison to the 749, the model the 848 replaces in Ducati's lineup.

"This bike is not linked to racing, like the 749," Sairu said. "The 749 was designed to perform in Supersport races, so its dynamics were not ideal for the street. For the 848, we wanted the best dynamics for the street, with no constraints due to racing." Too bad, then, that these testbikes weren't registered for road use. The 848 is deliberately less intimidating than the 1098 from which it is derived, and thus more inviting (both in terms of performance and cost) to riders new to the Ducati brand. Though they look identical, behind the fairing the two siblings are totally unique. The new 849cc desmo engine is less oversquare (94.0 x 61.2mm for a bore-to-stroke ratio of 1.535, compared to 104.0 x 67.4mm/1.543), and utilizes smaller 56mm elliptical throttle bodies, lower 12.0:1 compression and a reconfigured combustion chamber. These changes are all engineered to provide a broad, street-friendly torque spread, and still produce a claimed 134 peak horsepower-a 26-bhp increase over the 749.

Ducati's other aim with the new eight-valve V-twin was to reduce weight. Finite Element Analysis highlighted areas of the crankcase that could be trimmed. Other changes inside the cases, including a lighter crankshaft and a new wet clutch, combine to save 11 lbs. Over the 1098 motor. Claimed dry weight for the complete machine is just 370 lbs.-44 lbs. lighter than a 749, allegedly providing a powerto- weight ratio superior to that of a 999!

Despite Ducati's desire to broaden its appeal, the 848's ergonomics are decidedly hard-core, with low clip-ons and a racy riding position just like the 1098's. The chassis is almost identical as well, with the same 43mm Showa inverted fork and fully adjustable Showa shock. The single-sided aluminum swingarm is shared, too-though the 848 lacks the larger model's ride-height adjustment.

The deep exhaust note sounded as menacing as the 1098's, but once I'd eased out the clutch lever-action from the new wet clutch seemed smooth and reasonably light-it didn't take long to confirm that this is indeed a more rider-friendly machine. Ample midrange let the bike breeze through the sweeping infield turns without the violent, wheelie-inducing, high-rev kick of the 1098. For maximum acceleration, it's best to keep the tach near the 10,000-rpm mark (where peak power is produced), but the engine pulled sweetly and smoothly from below 5000 rpm. The 848 revs quickly and is mighty fast, thundering up the main straight to an indicated 150 mph. It would likely get to a genuine 160-plus, given more room.

My only slight complaint came at the end of that straight, when I sat up to brake. The 848 slowed efficiently, but its more conventional Brembo setup (320mm discs with two-pad calipers, compared to the 330mm rotors with cutting-edge, four-pad calipers on the 1098) didn't approach the stunning ferocity of its big brother. Considering that the 1098's brakes are somewhat excessive on the street, this is probably a good thing.

One welcome chassis change is the narrower 180mm rear tire that greatly enhances agility through tighter bends. Minimal steering input and great stability, combined with nearlimitless cornering clearance and the tenacity of the sticky Pirelli Supercorsa Pro radials, let the 848 unravel the twistyAlmeria track at a blistering pace. Even on standard settings, the suspension gave impressive control with minimal pitching under braking or acceleration, despite the compact wheelbase. On the track my only chassis-related concern was lack of room for my long legs (I'm 6-foot-4), but roadgoing comfort will likely be lacking, despite Ducati's claims of all-around ability.

The 848 is still a superbike, just a slightly less powerful, more rider-friendly one. It might look innocent in white, but in performance and personality, it is blood-red Ducati all the way.

Tech Spec
Evolution
The chassis from the flagship 1098 Superbike fitted with a smaller, sweeter 849cc V-twin.

Rivals
Other category-busting middleweights such as the Suzuki gSX-R750 and Triumph Daytona 675.

TECH Price: $12,995 Engine type: l-c 90-deg. V-twin Valve train: DOHC, 8v Displacement: 849cc Bore x stroke: 94.0 x 61.2mm Compression: 12.0:1 Fuel system: EFI Clutch: Wet, multi-plate Transmission: 6-speed Claimed horsepower: 134.0 bhp @ 10,000 rpm Claimed torque: 70.8 lb.-ft. @ 8250 rpm Frame: Steel trellis with single-sided aluminum swingarm Front suspension: 43mm Showa inverted fork adjustable for spring preload, compression and rebound damping Rear suspension: Single Showa shock adjustable for spring preload, compression and rebound damping Front brake: Dual Brembo four-piston radial calipers, 320mm discs Rear brake: Single Brembo two-piston caliper, 245mm disc Front tire: 120/70-ZR17 Pirelli Supercorsa Pro Rear tire: 180/55-ZR17 Pirelli Supercorsa Pro Rake/trail: 24.5/3.8 in. Seat height: 32.3 in. Wheelbase: 56.3 in. Fuel capacity: 4.1 gal. Claimed dry weight: 370 lbs. Colors: Red, white Available: Now Warranty: 24 months, unlimited mi.

Verdict
Ducati nails its performance targets square on the nose, but needs to address the aggro ergos if it wants a true all-around sportbike.

Photo Gallery: Ducati 848 - Motorcyclist Magazine Online

Read More | Digg It | Add to del.icio.us

Click here for full story...