ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old October 28th, 2013, 06:32 AM   #1
eulark
ninjette.org member

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Blue Ninja 250, 98 ZX6E, 06 ZX636

Fairing Crack Re-repair

Hey All,

Just so I dont clutter my other thread, I started this one.

My front fairing has a crack from where the PO dropped it in the garage. The Turn signal stalk took another victim and caused a crack in the fairing. It was repaired with some sort of adhesive goop on the back and a clear liquid glue on the front. Now however, after taking the fairing on and off about 100 times, somewhere in that time frame, the fairing cracked again in the same spot.

Now I have to figure out how to fix it. I will post pics later of how it is cracked and what the original repair looked like.

But I wanted to put feelers out there for any ideas. Can I just patch over the original repair? Or is there some way to remove it?

Also just another inquiry, I notice that the mirrors shake a lot. I thought about dampeners fro the mirror stalks but I think the issue orginates from where the bracket (that holds the gauges and mirror brackets ) meets the frame. Is there any sort of rubber bushing or dampener out there? Has this been done? Currently there seems to be a hard plastic.
eulark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2013, 06:41 AM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Detailed description of crack repair here:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42690

The key is to use ABS cement, not glue. ABS cement actually melts the plastic and fuses it, like it's welded. The repair is just as strong as the original.

Can't help you on the vibrating mirrors. Try shaking your head in time with the vibration.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 28th, 2013, 06:45 AM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
If you can simply do adouglas's fix and it will work, then go for it.

For your fairing in need of a little more than normal TLC, you need 2 things;

Using these 2 tools, sandpaper and a matched paint (colorite), you can repair most cracks and other damage with a bit of patience and a steady hand. Search on youtube for a video of using the product, there are plenty out there.

Mirror
Sounds like your are missing the rubber grommets at the base. Home Depot should have something cheap you can use if you can't find OEM. However, some vibration will still exist, it's a bike after all.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote