ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old May 5th, 2009, 06:28 PM   #1
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Ethanol Stickers Disappearing?

SO we've noticed over the past couple of weeks that the ethanol stickers on the pumps at least two local gas stations have disappeared. Any thoughts on why this is happening? Are they no longer required to add the ethanol, or are they able to get away without the stickers now??
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2009, 06:31 PM   #2
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I'm not sure why the stickers are disappearing but if the gas you are buying has ethanol in it then they legaly have to post a sticker telling you.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #3
VeX
That's me!

Name: TJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Tis blue), 2008 CBR600RR

Well it's certainly couldn't be because they switched back to MTBE. That and I've said it before and I'll say it again: Ethanol IS a good thing to have in the gas. It breaks down petroleum products so it actively keeps your fuel system a smidge cleaner. It's only bad when it sits for a long time and absorbs water, or is allowed to sit and break down the petroleum residue inside the tank and such to excess (gummmmmmy mess).
VeX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #4
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeX View Post
Well it's certainly couldn't be because they switched back to MTBE. That and I've said it before and I'll say it again: Ethanol IS a good thing to have in the gas. It breaks down petroleum products so it actively keeps your fuel system a smidge cleaner. It's only bad when it sits for a long time and absorbs water, or is allowed to sit and break down the petroleum residue inside the tank and such to excess (gummmmmmy mess).
Etanol is OK in Four Strokes but is bad news in two strokes. My 3HP outboard and my two chain saws protest a lot. Somehow the stuff does not mix well with two cycle oil. Makes a gooey mess in the tank and clogs the filter.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #5
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
So far I have not had any problems with my two strokes. Crossing my fingers though.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2009, 06:10 PM   #6
VeX
That's me!

Name: TJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Tis blue), 2008 CBR600RR

Yeah you're not kidding with the two-strokes and ethanol. The big problem with two strokes and ethanol is again the 'breakdown' of petroleum. Normally if you leave a two stroke engine sit for a month or two the oil will start to separate from the fuel. It's a cinch to just drain the gas and add freshly mixed gas, but the ethanol (like you said) compounds things. The natural tendency for ethanol to do it's thing speeds that up on two strokes RAPIDLY!

When I ran a rental center the two stroke chain saws and concrete saws usually needed a carb rebuild if they sat for a month or so on a tank of gas
VeX is offline   Reply With Quote