ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 11th, 2012, 12:26 PM   #1
userjh160
ninjette.org guru

Name: Malinda

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

What else am I missing????

Ok, I realize that I don't have alot of experience with my bike AND I should have read the owners manual from cover to cover. After riding for 7 weeks, I just found out that all you have to do is push the blinker button in to shut it off rather than trying to manually slide it to the "off" position.

So I am asking anyone with experience under their belt please tell me if there anything else like this that I do not know about????

You would not believe how long it took me to shut my **** blinker off or be riding down the rode and forget to shut it off -- I feel like such an idiot

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
userjh160 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2012, 12:32 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
take an msf course.

Old September 11th, 2012, 12:38 PM   #3
beren
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
take an msf course.
Agreed. I had the same blinker thing until my msf.

Old September 11th, 2012, 12:43 PM   #4
userjh160
ninjette.org guru

I have to wait a little while for the msf course since my husband also a new rider is now in school, so we have to try to find a date that he is not in class. Do they tell you this in class?

Old September 11th, 2012, 12:47 PM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Yes, they will review all the most common controls.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2012, 12:47 PM   #6
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by userjh160 View Post
I have to wait a little while for the msf course since my husband also a new rider is now in school, so we have to try to find a date that he is not in class. Do they tell you this in class?
they go over all the controls of the motorcycle and how to operate them correctly. as well as how to actually ride the bike. you might be surprised, most people don't really know how to ride a motorcycle when they teach themselves or are taught by someone who taught themself.

you have no idea how many people i've met that ride motorcycles frequently that don't even know how to turn the bike conciously

honestly unless you have an instructor with years of experience, riding a bike without the msf course or some other kind of instruction is asking for trouble. motorcycles are not intuitive. they are completely different from most every other form of transportation including a human powered bicycle. trying to figure it out yourself is a good way to get yourself in a situation you aren't prepared for... and that usually winds up in a crash.

Old September 11th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #7
userjh160
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
honestly unless you have an instructor with years of experience, riding a bike without the msf course or some other kind of instruction is asking for trouble. motorcycles are not intuitive. they are completely different from most every other form of transportation including a human powered bicycle. trying to figure it out yourself is a good way to get yourself in a situation you aren't prepared for... and that usually winds up in a crash.
I agree, I have only been riding for 7 weeks and getting lots of practice here and there. I am more comfortable on my bike now and feel more confident in my riding skills. The course is definitely on our "to do" list, I know there is a lot of stuff I still need to learn.

Old September 11th, 2012, 03:25 PM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Well until then, do you or your other half know how to do a pre-ride check? TCLOCK
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2012, 03:52 PM   #9
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

Start up procedure: Fine-c
+1 MSF
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2012, 05:17 PM   #10
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Kwak Ninja 250 and 1998 Yamaha YZ400F

I thought the same thing as you. I have rode dirt since I was 7. When I was 18 I bought my first street bike, a CB450. I thought the turn signal auto cancelled and would turn off after making a turn. Wrong. I had to turn it to the off position in the middle.

When I first rode a 250 I thought it had to be turned off to the center too and thought "WOW, this is a pain in the ass!". Then I figured out you just press it.

So you're not alone. Just read the manual. They're short for bikes and it's a good idea to be familiar with your machine.
dirty nasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2012, 05:46 PM   #11
Lil_Green_Demon
Winging It In Life

Name: Umar

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R; 2011 250R (sold)

Well, Malinda, you didn't really tell us what you do know, so here's some info I'm sure might be useful if you aren't aware of it already:

- Wear a helmet
- Wear a leather jacket
- Don't wear sandals
- Motorcycle gangs are bad; motorcycle clubs are okay
- The gasoline goes in the gas tank
- The clutch is the lever near the left handle bar
- The front brake can be applied to use the front brakes
- The kickstand isn't really a stand you should kick, but giving a kick to the kickstand allows it to stand
- ATGATT =/= All The Grapes Are Terribly Tangy
- Your bike was built and manufactured by a Japanese based company known as Kawasaki

I think that covers all the basics.
Lil_Green_Demon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #12
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

I bought, used, and sold my ninjette and I just found out about the blinker after reading your thread.. lol..

But now I don't even have blinkers on my bike so yay.
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2012, 06:26 PM   #13
Old Guy on a '08
Chris

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): BLACK!!! '08 250R

Quote:
If your currently riding don't wait to take the course... If he can't go, go by yourself. If you're going to wait to take it.... DON'T RIDE...

Okay... that's a bit extreme... but it makes the point. The MSF Basic Riders Course should be at the top of your list of priorities

Old Guy on a '08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #14
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
So I am asking anyone with experience under their belt please tell me if there anything else like this that I do not know about????
Did you know that after the bike has slowed down enough, you can't shift from first or neutral into second gear?

That is a Kawasaki device that helps find neutral without jumping back into second.

Did you know that you can't start moving with the engine on and the side kickstand down?

That is a safety device to avoid accidents when the kick stand is forgotten in the down position.

Did you know that your radiator fan can keep working even after you have turned the ignition key off?

That is set up to avoid coolant overheating and boiling.

Did you know that leaving your right foot rest on the brake pedal can overheat and damage your brake components and brake fluid after a few miles?
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #15
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Lmao, I bet you haven't even turned on the turbo booster yet!
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2012, 09:46 AM   #16
userjh160
ninjette.org guru

I want to thank everyone for their input so I am going to try to get all my questions answered in this one post:

Somehow I found out about the pre-ride checklist, I think my husband told me and strongly encourages me to do so before I ride csmith12, I do try now more often but not every ride, but I am getting better.

I know what you mean dirty nasty and Gurk about learning new things and I have started my manual to see what all I need to know.

Oh crap Lil_Green_Demon, you threw a bunch of stuff in there that I think you may need to elaborate for me, I thought the brake was on the left side of the handlebars, no wonder when I took it to the shop they said the brake was working fine. As for the helmet I do where a different one depending on what top I have on - - I crochet new ones all the time and they look real pretty, PLUS I no longer have helmet hair, to me it is much better than that hard one you get at the motorcycle shops.
You did get me on ATGATT, I was wondering what everyone was talking about, I did not know so many people felt that way about grapes

Old Guy on a '08 I don't think your comment was extreme, taking the MSF course is important, I will have to push my husband into finding a closer date so we can go, it is just that the course is sort of a long distance from the house and having to ride of the freeway would be nicer with two rather than one. I am not afraid to ride alone, if I have to, I just think with the wacko cagers and how some of the drive it would probable be a little more safer.

I did not know about the brake part Motofool, thank you for that - but I do lift my foot of the back brake when I am finished stopping. I did wonder about that I guess the same holds true for vehicles also so it makes sense. I did know about the gears thank you for that interesting tidbit of information.

OK Jiggles, I do know about the turbo booster -- I use it all the time when I am popping my wheelies and donuts also not to mention my knee drags, it just whips you around each curve. I started using that on my 2nd hour of riding, but thanks for mentioning it.

Old September 12th, 2012, 10:03 AM   #17
Old Guy on a '08
Chris

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): BLACK!!! '08 250R

Quote:
I want to thank everyone for their input so I am going to try to get all my questions answered in this one post:

Somehow I found out about the pre-ride checklist, I think my husband told me and strongly encourages me to do so before I ride csmith12, I do try now more often but not every ride, but I am getting better.

I know what you mean dirty nasty and Gurk about learning new things and I have started my manual to see what all I need to know.

Oh crap Lil_Green_Demon, you threw a bunch of stuff in there that I think you may need to elaborate for me, I thought the brake was on the left side of the handlebars, no wonder when I took it to the shop they said the brake was working fine. As for the helmet I do where a different one depending on what top I have on - - I crochet new ones all the time and they look real pretty, PLUS I no longer have helmet hair, to me it is much better than that hard one you get at the motorcycle shops.
You did get me on ATGATT, I was wondering what everyone was talking about, I did not know so many people felt that way about grapes

Old Guy on a '08 I don't think your comment was extreme, taking the MSF course is important, I will have to push my husband into finding a closer date so we can go, it is just that the course is sort of a long distance from the house and having to ride of the freeway would be nicer with two rather than one. I am not afraid to ride alone, if I have to, I just think with the wacko cagers and how some of the drive it would probable be a little more safer.

I did not know about the brake part Motofool, thank you for that - but I do lift my foot of the back brake when I am finished stopping. I did wonder about that I guess the same holds true for vehicles also so it makes sense. I did know about the gears thank you for that interesting tidbit of information.

OK Jiggles, I do know about the turbo booster -- I use it all the time when I am popping my wheelies and donuts also not to mention my knee drags, it just whips you around each curve. I started using that on my 2nd hour of riding, but thanks for mentioning it.
Oh no, a freeway rider!!!!!! Eh gads...

"Some roads are too good to waaste on four wheels" but freeways aren't in that category. Look up a different route on Googel Maps... remember ENJOY!!!! the ride
Old Guy on a '08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2012, 10:09 AM   #18
userjh160
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guy on a '08 View Post
Oh no, a freeway rider!!!!!! Eh gads...

"Some roads are too good to waaste on four wheels" but freeways aren't in that category. Look up a different route on Googel Maps... remember ENJOY!!!! the ride
There is one other way, but you still have to ride on the freeway, plus I am not sure how the other route is and whether or not it is worth riding on. We have a lot of "gravel/dirt" roads here and lots of log trucks that mess up roads with the weight and constant travelling, sometimes they don't get repaired quickly or done rather cheaply.

Old September 29th, 2012, 09:29 PM   #19
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Push to Cancel wasn't available on some pregens.

Anyway, the manual never really explains how the helmet hooks work. It basically just says "these are the helmet hooks." Just search for a picture on these forums if you don't know how already.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2012, 03:31 PM   #20
userjh160
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Push to Cancel wasn't available on some pregens.

Anyway, the manual never really explains how the helmet hooks work. It basically just says "these are the helmet hooks." Just search for a picture on these forums if you don't know how already.
You are right, I don't know how to use the helmet hooks -- great idea I will check that out. Thanks

Old September 30th, 2012, 09:09 PM   #21
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Here's a pic:

Helmet hangs out from under the locked seat.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2012, 06:31 AM   #22
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Meh, not that big of a deal imo. I took the MSF and still took me awhile before I figured that out. Up until that point, I always just slid it back over.

Old October 2nd, 2012, 07:01 AM   #23
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Ok, I realize that I don't have alot of experience with my bike AND I should have read the owners manual from cover to cover. After riding for 7 weeks, I just found out that all you have to do is push the blinker button in to shut it off rather than trying to manually slide it to the "off" position.

You would not believe how long it took me to shut my **** blinker off or be riding down the rode and forget to shut it off -- I feel like such an idiot

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Don't forget to read this forum from cover to cover.

Old October 2nd, 2012, 08:50 AM   #24
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Does she really knit her own helmets?

... Can I get the pattern?