ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old January 26th, 2012, 10:30 PM   #1
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Name: Solon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (sold), 2007 SV650s (deer wrecked), 2010 Suzuki SV650S

Casual city/freeway rider, what kind of footwear?

Hey guys,

I'm a fairly casual rider. I do a lot of freeway riding to and from work, and I don't have the luxury of keeping a spare pair of walking shoes wherever I go, so I have to keep comfort in mind. I'm keen on protection, but because I'm pretty much a purely urban rider and would only take short day "touring" trips with some friends, I don't see the need for a track boot or a pure touring boot.

This is where I'm stuck with deciding on what I should buy. I currently have a pair of high-top Shift Fuel shoes. While they're great in and around the city, once I hit the freeway I feel vulnerable, and I do often get stuck in wet weather. Is there a boot that would offer good protection, but give me enough comfort to walk around in for a couple hours?

I've looked at a few pairs already like the Sidi Fusion Boots, Alpinestars Fastlane Shoes, Alpinestars Mille Shoes, and the TCS X-Cube Boots. Most, if not all those choices are waterproof or somewhat water resistant.

I can't decide which boots here would give me the most versatility while providing the best protection. Venting is not a huge issue, but I would prefer a pair of boots or shoes that don't feel like I'm wearing plastic bags on my feet.

I hope you guys can give me some input. Thanks!

Last futzed with by Slono; January 27th, 2012 at 05:52 AM. Reason: spelling
Slono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2012, 10:41 PM   #2
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (sold), 2007 SV650s (deer wrecked), 2010 Suzuki SV650S

Maybe a touring boot IS what I need? I don't know! I need somebody to tell me what's right for my type of riding.

Old January 26th, 2012, 11:17 PM   #3
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

Have you looked at these: http://www.teknicgear.com/chicane-wp-street-boot/

I wear these all the time, they are waterproof, comfortable, and provide good protection. Heck I accidentally tested the metal sliders last week when I used too much lean. Rubber sole though is a little soft, meaning they might last long with lots of walking.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2012, 11:23 PM   #4
saxnbass
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 CBR600rr

A*s SMX-Plus. If I'm on the bike, those are on my feet.
saxnbass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2012, 01:16 AM   #5
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDspd View Post
Have you looked at these: http://www.teknicgear.com/chicane-wp-street-boot/

I wear these all the time, they are waterproof, comfortable, and provide good protection. Heck I accidentally tested the metal sliders last week when I used too much lean. Rubber sole though is a little soft, meaning they might last long with lots of walking.
Have you tried walking in them? I want to be able to wear them to run errands and the odd shopping trip to the mall to pick up supplies for my soon to be new-born.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxnbass View Post
A*s SMX-Plus. If I'm on the bike, those are on my feet.
Have you been able to walk around in them? Also how do they hold up in heavy rainfall?

Old January 27th, 2012, 01:25 AM   #6
saxnbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slono View Post
Have you been able to walk around in them? Also how do they hold up in heavy rainfall?
Bike is my only means of transportation, so yes, I walk in them all the time. 10-14 hour days with them on the entire time.

Old January 27th, 2012, 01:33 AM   #7
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxnbass View Post
Bike is my only means of transportation, so yes, I walk in them all the time. 10-14 hour days with them on the entire time.
I guess I'll try those on the next time I'm at the motorcycle store. Have you ever considered getting a 3/4 length boot instead of a full length for better comfort?

Old January 27th, 2012, 01:37 AM   #8
saxnbass

Quote:
I guess I'll try those on the next time I'm at the motorcycle store. Have you ever considered getting a 3/4 length boot instead of a full length for better comfort?
Have, but not for comfort, purely because I have long knee guards (Dainese).

Old January 27th, 2012, 04:11 AM   #9
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
I have these as commuter/touring boots, and really like them, especially when I'll be off the bike a lot walking around. Tourmaster Solution 2.0 Boots. They seem to fit your criteria based on comments in this thread: comfortable off the bike, waterproof, styling works off the bike, but are protective for casual riding. Also a great price, coming in at under $100 right now at MotorcycleGear.com.

Do be cautious about thinking you don't need much protection because you only ride in town. Most accidents happen in the exact circumstances you ride in. I wont wear anything with laces, like some of the options mentioned here, because laces can get caught on stuff in an accident and rip the shoes off your feet. For safety reasons, I also won't wear any sneaker style "street boot." Just not safe enough for the ankles and shins, and too easy to pull off in an accident. That said, I get that a $300 or $400 race boot is overkill, and you can dial it down a bit. I also think there are good options that provide reasonable protection for good value.

The Solutions are pretty comfortable and still give the protection of a full boot, while the styling makes them look like fairly normal shoes under pants. They are easy to walk in and the inside of the boot is lined with a cushy fabric. I've added a really nice insert to make them extra comfy to walk in. These are what I wear when I'm out all day on the bike and off the bike a lot. Nothing I've found comes close for $100. Very good quality for the money. My only issue is that they don't breathe really well (because they are waterproof you have to have some tradeoffs), so I also own a pair of non-waterproof boots with perforated leather for hot/dry days. (I should note that last year a shipment of these went out that wasn't waterproof - Tourmaster fixed the issue at the factory, but you might find some reviews out there saying they leaked. It is resolved and I assure you, having walked through streams with them, that you can stand in 10 inches of water with them and keep your feet dry.)

Here is how they look under Shift kevlar jeans:

I'm also a fan of the Cortech Latigo/Sidici Laguna race boots, which offer great value for the dollar and better protection than the Tourmaster, and are perforated for hot weather, but they aren't waterproof and have a forward lean angle in the boot that makes them less comfy for walking, but great for aggressive riding.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2012, 02:23 PM   #10
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

Quote:
Have you tried walking in them? I want to be able to wear them to run errands and the odd shopping trip to the mall to pick up supplies for my soon to be new-born.
Oh yeah that would be perfect man, you just can't run a marathon or hike in these. For everyday use they are perfect.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2012, 03:11 PM   #11
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

I have sidi fusions and they are comfortable for everyday use. I find it a little bothersome walking in them sometimes since the soles are really narrow, but you get used to them. I prefer my astars smx-r though. the sole is a little bit wider and makes for a more comfortable and stable gait. So I would recommend the astars smx5 or the ridge boot. the other poster have good choices as well.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast

Last futzed with by 00NissanNinja; January 27th, 2012 at 03:12 PM. Reason: stupid phone
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2012, 03:56 PM   #12
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

I agree w/ Floyd. I also went that route. Very plain touring boots. To make them even more comfortable when walking around, I unzip or unvelcro some of it. Before I get back on the bike, I just zip it up and snug up the boot and head out.

I went with the TCX Synergy. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ing-Boots.aspx I think it's discontinued but I like the profile of this boot and I'm sure it would work for you. You're situation isnt uncommon. It really depends on what you are okay with in terms of protection. For example, I'd never wear sneakers but I'd borderline be okay with rigid caterpillar work boots if I needed to head down the street to the post office and back. Then again, to be honest, the touring boots are so much faster to put on and safer because there arent laces, I dont even do that anymore either.

Btw, if you have wide feet, TCX tends to run wide and Sidi, A*, and Dainese I think tend to run narrow. The models I tried on were anyways. Definitely try them on and if one brand feels too snug, try another brand. I would never fit Sidi boots but you might.

Old January 27th, 2012, 10:39 PM   #13
Slono
ninjette.org guru

I went to the motorcycle store today and tried on the Alpinestars SMX-5 WP (waterproof) boots, the Sidi Waterproof Fusions, and the Alpinestars Hydro Sport Drystar Boot. I was an idiot and forgot to try on the Tourmaster Solutions 2.0 Waterproof boot.. Out of the 3 that I tried, I found the SMX-5 WP boots to fit the best in size 43. They were snug on my feet but fit the shape of my foot well.

I know the SMX-5 WP Boots are more than twice the price of the Tourmaster Solutions, and I would expect a better boot for that price difference, but is the quality and protection worth the higher price, or should I save money and spend it on some better riding pants and get the Tourmaster Solutions instead which still seem both solid and waterproof?

Old January 27th, 2012, 11:27 PM   #14
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

SMX5s are on sale for 150 right now at ironpony.com
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2012, 11:32 PM   #15
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
SMX5s are on sale for 150 right now at ironpony.com
Really? Is there a discount code or something, because I'm getting $249.

Old January 27th, 2012, 11:43 PM   #16
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Youre welcome

Old January 27th, 2012, 11:52 PM   #17
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Thanks!

These aren't the waterproof ones though. Do you think my feet would get soaked if I rode in the rain with them? I'm thinking it might be worth it if they're only somewhat waterproof. As long as my feet wouldn't get drenched in a downpour I think I might fly with this deal.

Old January 27th, 2012, 11:54 PM   #18
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Quote:
Thanks!

These aren't the waterproof ones though. Do you think my feet would get soaked with these if I rode in the rain with them?
ahh that they are not. didnt realize you wanted the water proof ones.

Not sure?

but is it worth $100 more for water proof ones that style? I think there are other water proof ones that are 150 as well. Just not that style. I dont ride in the rain though so idk..

Old January 27th, 2012, 11:56 PM   #19
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

waterproof

Old January 28th, 2012, 12:01 AM   #20
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
ahh that they are not. didnt realize you wanted the water proof ones.

Not sure?

but is it worth $100 more for water proof ones that style? I think there are other water proof ones that are 150 as well. Just not that style. I dont ride in the rain though so idk..
I found the SMX-5 Waterproof ones at Motorcyclegear.com for 219.99. That might be a good deal since all the other places I've seen have them listed for 249.99. But $149.99 for the non-waterproof version... I think that's a super deal. $70 more for a waterproof boot. hm...

Old January 28th, 2012, 12:05 AM   #21
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

you see the waterproof ones they have for 130? I linked em

Old January 28th, 2012, 12:07 AM   #22
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Do most alpinestars boots fit the same? I wasn't able to find that boot to try on at any of the stores I've been to at this time of the year. Most stores get their stock in March or April, but I'm seeing some good deals now on old stock so I'd rather spend my money on the old stuff. Better bang for your dollar.

Old January 28th, 2012, 12:12 AM   #23
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

yeah I wish I would have waited. Ive never been one to care about NEW stuff...

I want those pants they have but I just dont have the cash :/

I think A* boots run big... at least they seemed to for me

Old January 28th, 2012, 12:19 AM   #24
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
yeah I wish I would have waited. Ive never been one to care about NEW stuff...

I want those pants they have but I just dont have the cash :/

I think A* boots run big... at least they seemed to for me
Man. This is a hard decision! I want to go waterproof but because I want to be able to wear them year-round the waterproof lining might make them super hot wear in the summer. I guess you can't have everything. $70 extra is a lot for the extra water protection though..

Old January 28th, 2012, 12:22 AM   #25
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

are you really going to ride in the rain?

all I can speak for is cold and they seem to hold up in the cold fine. My feet stay a nice temp

Old January 28th, 2012, 12:24 AM   #26
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
are you really going to ride in the rain?

all I can speak for is cold and they seem to hold up in the cold fine. My feet stay a nice temp
Yeah, I ride in the rain. I work at a place that charges $84/month for parking if you have a car but free if you have a motorcycle. So I wouldn't have a choice but to ride my motorcycle if I did not pay the $84 that month to park. I could use the metered parking but there's no point because its so expensive.

The Shift Fuel shoes that I wore before the snow hit the ground were decent in keeping water out. I'd get wet toes and ankles, but nothing serious.

Edit: I wouldn't mind bringing along a change of socks if my boots got damp. I wouldn't like it if they got soaked though.

Old January 28th, 2012, 12:29 AM   #27
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

hmm idk then.

tough spot...

Old January 28th, 2012, 12:33 AM   #28
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Yep.

I hope other people have input on whether or not these boots are at least slightly waterproof! I need to catch this deal before it expires if I think they'd be ok to ride in the rain with.

Old January 28th, 2012, 12:34 AM   #29
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

I guess I could test them if no one else does. lol

Old January 28th, 2012, 12:36 AM   #30
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I guess I could test them if no one else does. lol
You have a pair of regular SMX-5s? If you do, yes please test them just for me pleeeassee? LOL!

Old January 28th, 2012, 12:43 AM   #31
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

yeah dude they are sitting right by my bed... which I am laying in. I just wasnt sure if I wanted to get the pretty things all wet hahaha

I thought I had said I had them? haha they are hella comfy though man. I love mine

Old January 28th, 2012, 01:08 AM   #32
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
yeah dude they are sitting right by my bed... which I am laying in. I just wasnt sure if I wanted to get the pretty things all wet hahaha

I thought I had said I had them? haha they are hella comfy though man. I love mine
I probably missed it if you did mention it. I tend to be on the forums late at night when I'm tired.

Yeeaah... well testing them in the rain is up to you haha. What's the temperature in your location right now?

Old January 28th, 2012, 01:46 AM   #33
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

You could always just get one of those waterproof booties for the rain days. Or, some of us have worn a plastic bag over socks. Either way works well in a pinch.

Old January 28th, 2012, 01:48 AM   #34
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
You could always just get one of those waterproof booties for the rain days. Or, some of us have worn a plastic bag over socks. Either way works well in a pinch.
Yeah that's true. I'm trying to look for reviews for the SMX-5 with people that have ridden with them in the rain. No reports of any rain usage.

Old January 28th, 2012, 02:17 AM   #35
Slono
ninjette.org guru

I've decided I'm going to get the SMX-5s and apply a waterproof coating on it to help the cause. It won't be completely waterproof but the design itself looks like it makes a good seal around your foot.

Old January 28th, 2012, 02:30 AM   #36
DreamN
Beer Me!

Name: Jimmy

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 Car(s): '09 Cube, '93 240SX (Coupe & 'Vert)

I remember reading someone riding with the vented version in some light drizzle and stayed dry. Tried looking for the post, but no dice.
DreamN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2012, 02:44 AM   #37
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamN View Post
I remember reading someone riding with the vented version in some light drizzle and stayed dry. Tried looking for the post, but no dice.
http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/sh...erproof-or-not

Old January 28th, 2012, 02:52 AM   #38
DreamN
Beer Me!

Name: Jimmy

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 Car(s): '09 Cube, '93 240SX (Coupe & 'Vert)

that's it! couldn't remember the forum name lol.
DreamN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2012, 02:54 AM   #39
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Does anybody know if the SMX-5 non-waterproof boots fit the same way as the SMX-5 waterproof ones? The only difference is the lining, right?

Old January 28th, 2012, 02:57 AM   #40
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
you dont have to be balls to the wall to have someone hit you and run your leg over. dont bother wearing anything less than a 3/4 boot. i wear a* smx-5 boots which are 3/4 boots pretty much everywhere except when i workout. the "moto shoes" that provide no ankle protection are doing about as much good as flipflops.