ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

View Poll Results: Have you taken the MSF course?
Yes 329 85.90%
No 54 14.10%
Voters: 383. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 6th, 2009, 06:15 AM   #201
k1prototype
k1prototype

Name: k1prototype

Motorcycle(s): Ducati ST4

I took mine passed and then never bought a bike. About 2 years later I finally purchased my bike. I ended up looking up a lot of the techniques again via youtube in order to re-familiarize myself with what I learned.

Old November 6th, 2009, 06:26 AM   #202
marsha
ninjette.org member

Name: Marsha

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Yes, I took it here in FL this August. I'd never driven a motorcycle before & thought this would be the best way to learn. I was very nervous, but fortunately the instructors were FANTASTIC and my fears quickly disappeared. It was money well spent, not to mention it's required now in FL in order to get your motorcycle endorsement.
marsha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2009, 06:51 AM   #203
Justanothermp5
ninjette.org member

Name: Simon

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

i took it cuz my parents made me (only 18) lol but it turns out it was actually really easy and pretty fun
i got the highest grade in the riding section in my class

Old November 6th, 2009, 07:09 AM   #204
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1prototype View Post
I took mine passed and then never bought a bike. About 2 years later I finally purchased my bike. I ended up looking up a lot of the techniques again via youtube in order to re-familiarize myself with what I learned.
I think that was Noche Caliente's story too.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2009, 10:05 AM   #205
shellneil
ninjette.org member

Name: shellneil

Motorcycle(s): 1999 kawasaki ninja zx6r

deff was the best thing i did, it tough me first off how to even ride a bike, i couldnt even get it into 1st gear when i got there, taught me many safety things as well, things that have saved my a$$ numerous.....i'm taking the advanced next month.........oh yeah gave me my license also!!
shellneil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2009, 10:27 AM   #206
jcgirl
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jenn

Motorcycle(s): Bot

I took the Learn to Ride course here on the island. It's pricey, running just over $500. Totally worth it though. 2 evenings in a classroom going over all the theory and two full days on the bikes. I learned so much!!! Would recommend it to anyone else like me who had never tried to ride a bike before.
jcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2009, 11:42 AM   #207
danknation
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE

I didn't bother with it, mainly because I did not have an extra $190 to spend. One of my friends just took it a few weekends ago and all the stuff he told me he learned seemed like common sense. I know a lot of you say it will reduce my chances of going down but I just don't plain belive it.

If you have never ridden anything before then take it, if you know how to work a clutch and understand vehicles then don't waste the money. I had a bit of dirt experience and enough time as a motorhead to get myself started. As a matter of fact, I was able to find videos on youtube illustrating all of their practice techniques and just replicated them myself in an empty parking lot, for $200 cheaper then what they wanted.
danknation is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2009, 06:48 PM   #208
Allen
ninjette.org member

Name: Allen

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 Ninja

Took the MSF about 14 months ago after not riding for about 10 years. I had about 20 years previous experience. Glad I did. It teaches more than what you learn. It teaches you TO LEARN. I've read several books also to continue my learning. You have to be careful about new bike riding methodology. As my instructor said "Practice does not make perfect,,,,,,,,,,,Perfect Practice makes Perfect" Learn to practice the Perfect methodology.
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2009, 07:22 PM   #209
diablo250
Crafty Salesman....

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r, 06 sv650sf

I originally planned to take the MSF course, and I still will take an advanced rider/sportbike course through the MSF, but it was mainly that I just never got around to registering. I took the DMV test on my crf230L and passed with flying colors. I have raced bicycles for about 10 years now and felt my balance/mechanical inclination/traffic awareness was up to snuff. The 250 sure feels stable compared to flying down a hill at 55mph on a 16lb road bike with tires as wide as your thumb....

Old November 6th, 2009, 07:31 PM   #210
HMB-ninja
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R(red) 09 Ninja 650R(red) 08 PGO Buddy 150(Pamplona)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Yeppers. Definitely the way to go here in California, if only for the ease in getting a full license compared to the antiquated DMV test. The course itself was reasonably useful as well. By no means are you an accomplished motorcyclist after completing the course, but it's a good start to the learning process.
I have to agree with Alex, an easier way to get your License AND pick up some good basic riding skills/safty info AND possably get a lower insurance rate for having take the course!

It was like a win, win, win situation for me..... i also got my girlfriend to take the course so she could take over my scooter and i could move on to the Ninja....WIN! and then her roommate took it also when he bought a 250 to join us on rides WIN!
HMB-ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #211
Delta107
ninjette.org member

Name: Delta

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R - BLUE

I took it so I could wave the DMV test. I really enjoyed the course. We had a retired Motorcycle cop as are instructor and there were total of 3 of us in the class. I passed number 1 in the class. hehehe lol beat the two boys.
Delta107 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2009, 05:02 PM   #212
pedaltothemetal
ninjette.org member

Name: Leo

Motorcycle(s): Plasma Blue 2008 Ninja 250R, 2006 Honda Ruckus 180cc swap, 1967 BMW R60US, 2008 Ninja ZX-14se

Didn't have such a course in 1967 but did take a motorcycle driving test and passed it.
pedaltothemetal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #213
fernieh07
ninjette.org member

Name: Fernando

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r

I took it to see if I would like riding motorcycles... I rather pay the 250 dollars than thousands to only find out I don't like riding...
fernieh07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 23rd, 2009, 06:02 PM   #214
grn09segirl
ninjette.org member

Name: K

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha Fz6R

Yes: It was very helpful for 2 reasons. I NJ it made it alot easier to get you licensce, so you dont have to sit a motor vehicle and take their ridding test and I had never ridden anything with 2 wheels before. All of the instructors were very helpful and I lerned alot. They start at the very basic level and have you ridding in now time.
grn09segirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 23rd, 2009, 06:14 PM   #215
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Yes long time ago. If you've never ridden it is a must. Still recommend it to those with a little bit of experience. It is not a hard course to take by any means but very informative.

Old December 24th, 2009, 10:44 AM   #216
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

I've never taken it but I've been riding bikes (dirt and street, motorized and pedal powered) on and off my whole life.

Two things I was told before I rode my first street bike that really helped me were "Brake before I turn" and "When in doubt, lean it out".

Some advice I would like to add is to stay away from any cars when at all possible and when you are around them, make absolutely sure they know you are there.

NEVER tailgate! Too many reasons to list why not to for this one. The path in front of you must be clear of all obstacles.

Put your feet down and make sure they are not stuck on the pegs well before you come to a stop to prevent a stupid fall over. I am guilty of this too. Hard to stand up and pick up your bike when it's laying on your ankle.. which you will be happy your wore your gear for because that's always rule #1 and I don't even need to say it.

Just a few things I experienced and learned here while riding.

edit:
Just went through the MSF videos online.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 24th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #217
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Took the MSF before I bought my bike. They had a Ninja 250 so it was perfect. It definitely made me a better beginner rider. Last year I took the ERC and had a blast. There was everything from a Yamaha scooter to a turbo zx-14. Same stuff as in the MSF course except no classroom and lots more riding.
JeffM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 25th, 2009, 08:06 AM   #218
littledog
ninjette.org member

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Special Edition Ninja 250 a good memory, 2011 Suzuki DL 650 the new ride

I have not taken the MSF course.

I do have the license endorsement from before MSF courses existed, and have a good bit of two wheel experience, mostly human powered.

I am planning to take the course next time it is offered reasonably close by and doesn't get canceled. I figure it is well worth the time and money since I will at least learn a few things that might keep me from getting hurt.
littledog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 25th, 2009, 11:06 AM   #219
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dude!!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Yeppers. Definitely the way to go here in California, if only for the ease in getting a full license compared to the antiquated DMV test. The course itself was reasonably useful as well. By no means are you an accomplished motorcyclist after completing the course, but it's a good start to the learning process.
^^ This.
Betlog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 25th, 2009, 12:53 PM   #220
blackfocal
ninjette.org member

Name: kyle

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

im taking my on the 7th though the 11th of january.
blackfocal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2010, 05:12 PM   #221
fivepin
ninjette.org member

Name: Cory

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250R

Yes, I did. When went through it we were using a kawi eleninator 125cc bike (it sucked). and that box still haunts me LOL

Old April 14th, 2010, 05:45 PM   #222
G250RSC
ninjette.org member

Name: Gene

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

Was excited about this past weekend teaching a MSF Course. I taught a BRC class this past weekend and we had 4 2008 ninja 250's for the new riders. Worked out quite well and hooked 3 of the new riders on getting a ninja.
G250RSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2010, 06:28 PM   #223
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 09' Blue Ninja 250R and 07' Honda 919

took it twice once in 91' for liscense and again in 04' for insurance discount..waste of time the second time but for 10% off insurance it was worth it since it was free in PA
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2010, 06:44 PM   #224
bigair
ninjette.org member

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Yes. MSF was worth a 10% discount on my bike insurance. Good course as well. helped me dump some dirt bike habits. I had a tendency to drag the rear break.

Old April 14th, 2010, 07:35 PM   #225
littledog
ninjette.org member

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Special Edition Ninja 250 a good memory, 2011 Suzuki DL 650 the new ride

Being hardheaded in the extreme, I bought the ninja, my first motorcycle ever, the day after thanksgiving last year and tried to teach myself how to ride it. I did use every bit of reading material I could find online as a guide. And since this is Alabama, the license is not an issue.

I succeeded, well at least I have no scars proving otherwise.

I admit to being hardheaded but I know my luck only goes so far. That is why I took the BRC course last month, weekend of March 12.

My experience with the course ... First, I am an educator, a teacher by trade. We study "effective course design" The BRC is a very nicely designed course. both the class room part and the riding part.

I knew all of the content of the course before hand (it is all available online). Of the riding skills The "U-turn box" I was the one part I was not sure I could do. The rider coach said "Balance yourself with your clutch. Once you do it once, it is easy ever after"

I learned how to do the U- turn box at the BRC course.

So I passed. At the end, the lead rider coach gave a little speech. This speech was easily worth $250. He said:

"You are now qualified to ride around in a parking lot, with supervision.

I know most of you have more ambitious plans. The one thing I have to say, is never stop practicing.

When I ride, I practice swerving like this: If I am alone on a road with man hole covers, I swerve around the covers. I can feel it if I succeed or not.

Not long ago, I was riding with my MC club on the interstate. Six lanes. For some reason we never determined, some one in a car was in the middle lane backing up. Several of our members were hurt and air lifted to a nearby hospital. They have recovered to the point where they can ride again. I managed to avoid the accident. I think it is because I was better at swerving."

So even if you already knew everything they taught, there was this message from the main instructor. Very convincingly delivered. "Practice your avoidance skills as if your life depends on them. Because, it really does."
littledog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2010, 07:46 PM   #226
Jatan

Name: Jatan

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250/300 (some day)

Never been on a bike before, insurance discount, and you get a waiver for the license so I took the course and it was amazing -- lucky for me its only $20/free in IL (you put down $20 as a deposit, you can get the $20 back if you complete the course or you can donate it to the program, I decided to donate it since the course was worth it)

First couple of hrs on the bike I was a lil shakey since it was my first time and I was nervous. Another thing was that I didnt want to risk flying off the bike -- in the first exercise one of the students had the bike in gear instead of neutral and ended up going face first into the ground (protective gear saved her from getting hurt)

Had problems with clutch control on the first day so I kept stalling out and I kept letting the clutch go once I stopped (I think I stalled more times than the rest of the class combined) -- I was good at it by the end of the first day

Loved the turning and weaving -- took their advice on "dont look down, look where you want to go" a few hrs into the first day so I did much better from that point on.

For the riding test I went wide with the u-turns in the box so points off there and in the stopping one they said I could've stopped a lil bit shorter so couple points off there. Written test was pretty straight forward, out of the 50 questions I wasnt sure about 2 of them

Great course overall and the instructors were awesome -- the classroom time wasnt boring either since everyone participated and it wasnt just the instructors reading from the book -- highly recommend the course to everyone (we had a mix of new riders and experienced riders, and even the experienced riders felt they learned safer ways of riding)

Old April 15th, 2010, 06:02 AM   #227
Yoda
ninjette.org member

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Blue

Retaking MSF courses again this weekend. Friday night thru sunday and of course it going to change from 60 and sunny today to 40s and raining just for the weekend

Old April 15th, 2010, 04:28 PM   #228
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cab

Motorcycle(s): Blue 10 250r

Mandatory in Florida.

I don't mind would have taken it anyways. Plus for a first time rider I had a blast.

Highly recommend for anyone even thinking of riding. Counter steering alone is mind boggling to a non rider.
Cab305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2010, 07:36 PM   #229
LegB4Wicket
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Blue Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Vancouver Island Safety Council for me. There's no MSF in Canada's but pretty much the same thing.

I enrolled the basic skills course and once passing that took the road safety course. A couple of my instructors were former motorcycle constables while another was the local HOG chapter safety officer.

We'll worth the money (about $700 Cdn if I remember). That was good for in class lessons, 16 hours of skills training and two full days for traffic/road training. Plus they booked my road test for which I used one of thier bikes.

The lessons I learned and the skills I was taught have kept me out of trouble and helped me avoid some potentially no-so-nice experiences.

Take the course. If you cannot afford lesson, you cannot afford to own a motorbike.
LegB4Wicket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2010, 07:45 PM   #230
Davidb1986
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r SE green with Monster energy decals!!!

I took it and enjoyed it!!!

Old April 15th, 2010, 07:57 PM   #231
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Name: W

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (sold), 2012 Tuono V4R

I took it. Beats sitting on my rear end in front of a computer screen on the weekends.

Practically speaking, though.... since I didn't really know anyone close or friendly enough to lend me a motorcycle for the driving portion, I took the course so I could get my license without the driving portion.

Incidentally, I've.... uhh... dropped the bike during the course. On the very first exercise. At a standstill. With the engine turned off.
Soujyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2010, 08:18 PM   #232
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): magHitVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegB4Wicket View Post
Vancouver Island Safety Council for me. There's no MSF in Canada's but pretty much the same thing.

I enrolled the basic skills course and once passing that took the road safety course. A couple of my instructors were former motorcycle constables while another was the local HOG chapter safety officer.

We'll worth the money (about $700 Cdn if I remember). That was good for in class lessons, 16 hours of skills training and two full days for traffic/road training. Plus they booked my road test for which I used one of thier bikes.

The lessons I learned and the skills I was taught have kept me out of trouble and helped me avoid some potentially no-so-nice experiences.

Take the course. If you cannot afford lesson, you cannot afford to own a motorbike.
In Quebec, driving school has been mandatory for new motorcycle riders for many years, as of 2010 driving school is mandatory for EVERYONE that wishes to obtain a car, motorcycle, scooter, ect.

when I did my classes in june of '09, I paid about, 700$, which is the average price on the island, classes include 6 hours of thoery (that I skipped because I already had my thoretical exam passed, got 100%)

For you guys that are interested, here are the steps in obtaining a motorcycle permit in Quebec.

1. Sign up for the driving school:
700$
2. After 6 hours of theory you pass the theory exam
Pass = 80$ Fail = 20$
3. Back to the driving school for 24 hours of practice, then rent a motorcycle for the closed circuit exam.
50$ for the rental + 90$ if you pass.
4. Practice with someone that has thier motorcycle liscence for at least 2 years, they only way you can ride for the next 11 months is with someone, no exceptions.
5. Go pass an other test to prove you can ride a bike.
Rental = 100$ examination fees = 90$

Ninja 250 = 4000$, Registration 400$ a year (april to december), insurances 500$
jonthechron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2010, 08:24 PM   #233
250rStar
super ninja

Name: TJ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 kawasaki 250r

yeah great class learned alot and made me a much more comfortable rider

Old April 27th, 2010, 01:28 PM   #234
t0sh
ninjette.org member

Name: Jen

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250r

I took the class last September. I didn't have a clue about riding, I walked away from that class with confidence, and skills that I still use: slow; look; press; roll for those windy S curves in our mountains.

I also had a hard time with the box, and had to do a tight U-turn 2 nights ago. (In the dark!) I just focused on what I remembered in the class, because at times I went too slow. Here is the key: speed=stability.

It was a great class, my instructor was awesome, and I will 100% recommend this course to everyone that begins their motorcycle adventure.
t0sh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2010, 05:52 PM   #235
ejunk81
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Bought my bike last weekend and just finished day 1 of the MSF course today. Came away with two things:

1. When I got home, I practiced on my bike to reinforce what I learned & I realized that I had made huge improvements already.

2. Playing with the friction-zone for 4 hours really sucks!
ejunk81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2010, 12:58 PM   #236
kkim

kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2011, 02:40 PM   #237
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250r

Who has taken the msf class.

If you have taken it please check it and if you have not please check the other option
Jesse8931 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2011, 02:47 PM   #238
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to Riding Skills

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2011, 02:48 PM   #239
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

We've got a long thread on this with the same poll: right here

/merged

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2011, 10:39 PM   #240
newboy17
ninjette.org newboy17

Name: robert

Motorcycle(s): 09 blue ninja 250

not yet , its $350 here in ny , times are ruff, but im just going to sing up for the road test, i got a friend who got his, and he is going to show me what to do , to pass the road test, only thing is the i have to wait about 2 months for the road test........
newboy17 is offline   Reply With Quote