ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old December 27th, 2010, 11:22 PM   #1
SaintJPN
ninjette.org member

Name: Saint

Motorcycle(s): 2009 KAW Ninja250r

LED Kits from A to Z

I've been searching and I figured it was time to encompass everything under one roof. Everything about LED kits from cheap low grade autozone type LED's to professional kits. Are they legal/illegal in your country/state/city?

Hello my name is Saint
I live in Japan
I currently have a green Stingerz LED sports package on my 2009 Kaw Ninja 250r Lime green
Legal/Illegal= Legal

I personally believe the main reason LED's are banned in a lot of areas is because ppl go overboard and have them flashing and doing crazy distractive things. If ppl grouped together and put together a very smart idea in a smart package and sold that package to the insurance companies/DMV's/Police departments... you could push for legalization of LED's to a certain extent.
Do your research. Do the leg work. Get the numbers together. Provide a kickass presentation backed up by hard evidence and support. The worst that can happen is that they remember everyone involved was trying to save lives. If that happens then let them go to sleep every night with a guilty conscience all the while you mail them everytime someone on a motorcycle is in an accident that could have been avoided if the driver of the car more easily noticed the motorcycle if it had LED lights. Just a thought.

Anyone wanna know about how to hook up a Stingerz kit or great placements for thumbswitches....just ask. Picks to follow soon.
SaintJPN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #2
oroboros
GDTRFB

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 - sold 2005 EX500R project

Hey Saint, of course I want to hear more... I would also be interested in getting aftermarket parts discounted from Japan! Anything we should know about?
Posted via Mobile Device
oroboros is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2010, 03:51 PM   #3
SaintJPN
ninjette.org member

Cut and paste from my post in "Seat Cowl Redux"

"For the carbon fiber rear hugger and a lot of other carbon fiber options like mirrors, signal lights, and gauges (these are all covers that replace stock covers). You can order them through Kawasaki Japan. In fact, when you buy a bike from here in Japan...they give you a catalog that has all sorts of parts for most of their bikes they make. I can almost guarantee you can talk to someone that speaks english pretty decently if you say, "Do you speak English?" and "I need to speak to someone that speaks English" or See-ma-say, go-minnow-sai....knee-hung-O.. DA-may... Go-min-ay. English Oni-ga-she-moss. Translates to: Excuse me, I'm sorry but Japanese language is bad. Sorry. I need English please. "

As for discounted aftermarket parts that are not in the Kawasaki catalog (Japanese). Most of the local stores here (Driver's Stand, Rough & Road , and one more I can't think of right now) sell American and UK goods. Japanese goods are usually tires/bags/chains/line of racing jackets and goods called Yellow Corn (super small sizes) and everything is a little more pricey due to overseas shipping. A RAM Mount Aqua box will run you $300+ here.

I will keep my eye out for the cool items that pop up from time to time.

Old December 29th, 2010, 08:52 PM   #4
SaintJPN
ninjette.org member

I took some pretty good pictures of my Stingerz green LED kit (already mounted on my bike and in the dark). I'll post picks after the New Year and I'll do a short step by step on how to wire it with my personal recommendations on wiring/splicing/where to run the wires for stealth/and how and where to place thumb switches.

Meanwhile.... everyone feel free to post what state or country you're from and if it's Legal or Illegal and if legal then what colors.

Old December 30th, 2010, 09:44 AM   #5
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

is jap 250r is FI?
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2010, 01:35 PM   #6
oroboros
GDTRFB

Great information. I realize that ordering from Japan would most likely be expensive but this is a nice option. I was in Tokyo about a year ago and saw so many different bikes. I have to admit being surprised to find when I bought my 250R that it was actually made in Thailand. I can perfectly understand why this is the case but I guess I just did not expect it. It seems like the link to getting any aftermarket goods from Thailand is tenuous at best...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintJPN View Post
"For the carbon fiber rear hugger and a lot of other carbon fiber options like mirrors, signal lights, and gauges (these are all covers that replace stock covers). You can order them through Kawasaki Japan. In fact, when you buy a bike from here in Japan...they give you a catalog that has all sorts of parts for most of their bikes they make. I can almost guarantee you can talk to someone that speaks english pretty decently if you say, "Do you speak English?" and "I need to speak to someone that speaks English" or See-ma-say, go-minnow-sai....knee-hung-O.. DA-may... Go-min-ay. English Oni-ga-she-moss. Translates to: Excuse me, I'm sorry but Japanese language is bad. Sorry. I need English please. "

As for discounted aftermarket parts that are not in the Kawasaki catalog (Japanese). Most of the local stores here (Driver's Stand, Rough & Road , and one more I can't think of right now) sell American and UK goods. Japanese goods are usually tires/bags/chains/line of racing jackets and goods called Yellow Corn (super small sizes) and everything is a little more pricey due to overseas shipping. A RAM Mount Aqua box will run you $300+ here.

I will keep my eye out for the cool items that pop up from time to time.

Old January 2nd, 2011, 03:49 PM   #7
SaintJPN
ninjette.org member

When ordering from Japan, everyone is so worried about shipping charges. The actual cost for the Japanese post office isn't that expensive. Once you take on the other services like "express" and such...it can get a little expensive just the same as America.

I've had absolutely no luck when it comes to tracking down any parts directly from Thailand. It seems that everything is made there in a factory but not sold there. Your best bet is finding an online shop in the Phillipines or Indonesia. They're kind of shy when dealing with the English language but if you can find a friend or co-worker that knows the language. Here's a big help.... if your friend is from that country but doesn't speak the language, try asking if their mom or aunt can help out. Women from these countries are generally really great hagglers when it comes to talking about prices and they could possibly swing you the same price as what a local would pay for.

Old January 2nd, 2011, 04:23 PM   #8
SaintJPN
ninjette.org member

Talking Back on Topic

I've noticed in a lot of forums that ppl tend to buy their LED kits from ebay. Don't get me wrong, ebay is sometimes a great source for finding something cheaper but when it comes to buying cheap over quality it doesn't make sense. Would you put cheap quality tires on your bike?

In my experience, to save money you gotta buy good quality and what you're going to like the first time around. It's like buying furnishings for your house. Most ppl buy cheap at first and say, "Oh, we'll replace it later with better stuff". The problem with that is; 1. you're not satisified with what you currently got and 2. You're going to have to buy it a second time. So, to inject a little math: Cheap stuff $$$ + What you really wanted to buy $$$ = A hell of a lot more $$$ than just buying what you really wanted in the first place.

If you suffer from the "I gotta have it now cause it's cool" like I did when I was younger then you're going to be using a lot of duct tape, zip ties, and drilling. Basically butchering your ride. There's a time and place for DIY but sometimes that item that's made specifically for your ride or for motorcycles in general is going to be a 1,000 times better than trying to cook up something at home.

Some of these cheap items you can find are sold from China. They'll have the same stamping and markings as the real articles that you want to buy and they will be the same in looks. They usually came off the same assembly line but they didn't get shipped to the stores because they didn't pass quality assurance. So now someone is trying to sell subpar products to you with absolutely no warranty. I know because I'm a victim of this.

Bottom line: Be careful. Spend a few extra bucks on the quality items and you won't regret it. Your ride deserves it. I treat my ride good cause I want my ride to treat me good. Call me superstitious.

Old January 5th, 2011, 11:17 PM   #9
SaintJPN
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomwalk101 View Post
is jap 250r is FI?
EX250 according to the Japanese Title and VIN but graphics/sticker wise it's the 250r. My insurance paperwork says Ninja 250R also.

Old January 6th, 2011, 05:37 AM   #10
oroboros
GDTRFB

I think the question is... Are the New Gen Ninjas fuel injected in Japan? Oni-ga-she-moss!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old January 6th, 2011, 03:29 PM   #11
SaintJPN
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oroboros View Post
I think the question is... Are the New Gen Ninjas fuel injected in Japan? Oni-ga-she-moss!
Posted via Mobile Device
I'll check and with what year started.

Old January 24th, 2011, 05:27 PM   #12
SaintJPN
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oroboros View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Sorry for the late reply. Mine is fuel injected and it's a 2009. I haven't had the time to ask my dealership anything due to all the x-rays and physical therapy I'm going through because of my accident and still going to work and college + spending time with my wife and kids...I tend to stay a little busy these days. Hopefully I'll get around to it.

BTW everyone....sorry for not uploading any pics to this thread. I will try to upload my photos during this week or at the latest next week.

Old February 21st, 2011, 10:31 PM   #13
SaintJPN
ninjette.org member

Pictures!!!!

Here they are. I finally had time with my busy schedule to post pictures. Sorry for being late. The last pic is just a shot of my RAM Mount with a Garmin. Plastic arms are the way to go, don't be fooled into thinking metal is better. The plastic is super strong and also takes out even more of the vibration in combo with the rubber joints.

I'll post some daytime photos soon with the tool I used to make the hole for my switch and a pic of the switch location and why I think it's the sweet spot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg glow2.jpg (44.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Glow_1.jpg (64.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Glow_3.jpg (62.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Glow_4.jpg (72.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Ram_Mount.jpg (95.5 KB, 13 views)

Old February 23rd, 2011, 06:25 AM   #14
oroboros
GDTRFB

Saint, it looks really sweet. I have a feeling it is not legal in TN but I am not sure. I think that any light facing towards the rear has to be red. I bet you could get away with an LED to light up the engine compartment...? It seems natural to view it as a safety measure.

Are you powering the Garmin from the bike or just using the battery? My nuvi battery does not last terribly long.

Old February 23rd, 2011, 07:36 PM   #15
SaintJPN
ninjette.org member

In Japan it's legal as long as it doesn't look like a police car or ambulance while it's flashing. I just use the normal battery in the nuvi. If I need to charge it I can always pull over and charge it somewhere while I'm eating or resting but I see no need to hardwire it to my bike's battery. It lasts the 2.5 - 3 hrs I drive into work easily and I charge it when I'm at work so I'm good for the ride home too.

-Any GPS system draws only little battery juice if you're following the path correctly...if it's constantly searching for sattelites or new routes then it's basically doing a keg stand with the battery juice.

Old February 23rd, 2011, 08:55 PM   #16
SaintJPN
ninjette.org member

Two more pics. One kind of shows some of my reflective stickers I made myself. Note: the Semper Fi sticker I ordered from eBay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 571.jpg (62.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 576.jpg (86.5 KB, 2 views)

Old February 23rd, 2011, 09:09 PM   #17
SaintJPN
ninjette.org member

Switch location for your LED kits.

This one took me a little while on deciding the best location for my on/off switch for my LED kit. It had to be accessible while I was riding and wearing gloves and still be able to keep my eyes on the road somewhat. If you look just below the right side (throttle side) grip on the fairing you can see the black rubber booted on/off switch.

The instructions tell you to use 3M tape to install your switch. SCREW THAT. Most switches, including this one was designed to be installed through a hole and then screwed together to be stable. What's the use in having a waterproof switch if it's not going to be installed properly and not really be a waterproof switch?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 569.jpg (81.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 570.jpg (92.3 KB, 10 views)

Old February 27th, 2011, 05:42 PM   #18
SaintJPN
ninjette.org member

Forgot to mention.

I left my LED light kit on for about 48 hours with my bike parked accidentally. No problems when I went to crank over the engine with the lights still on at the same time.

Old July 10th, 2011, 07:34 PM   #19
SaintJPN
ninjette.org member

Ok, I haven't posted here in awhile because I didn't have too much to report with my LED's. They've been great and I've been using them every day with no problems until last week. The 3M tape eventually comes off in some places. Keep some extra strength double back tape made for car emblems on hand when the time comes.

I've noticed a trend with people's LED switches being on the sides where they can "bump it with their leg" to turn them off... The switches they are using do not look like they are waterproof so I hope they never ride in the rain. It's not going to crap out on you with just a sprinkle of water hitting it but overtime it will do something if not to your battery.

When doing any wiring installing on a bike or a car, I highly recommend using the adhesive J hooks that hold wires in place because this keeps the weight off of your connection points and your LED's or whatever it is you are powering. Helps keep whatever you're doing stay wherever you put it. The end result is much cleaner looking too.