ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old April 19th, 2011, 11:55 PM   #1
SaintJPN
ninjette.org member

Name: Saint

Motorcycle(s): 2009 KAW Ninja250r

Are your waterproof boots no longer waterproof?

I've had many problems with so-called waterproof boots when they are actually only water resistant for only the first 15 minutes then they transform into a sponge.

List your best findings and your worst findings on waterproof boots and even tricks to help keep your feet dry. Cause when my feet get wet, it's Game Over...I just wanna go home by then.

1st trick... Plastic bags for vegetables at your local supermarket. They're free and when your boots are no longer waterproof or just when your boots are still damp, slip one of these bad boys on over your foot and slide that sucker into your boot and presto....instant waterproof barrier.
SaintJPN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2011, 12:49 AM   #2
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

I used to use Nikwax for hiking boots. I'd imagine it'd work on leather motorcycle boots. I also hear candle/parafilm wax can also work but probably wont last as long.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2011, 04:18 PM   #3
SaintJPN
ninjette.org member

Little background.
I live in Japan and I drive to work on my ninja. It rains a lot in Japan and I drive between 5 and 6 hours a day/mon-fri (220km). A light shower for a few minutes = no problem. A light shower for 2 hours = soaked, frozen, and prune skin. There's a big difference between waterproof and water resistant.

Companies say their product is waterproof but never specify for how long. Military gear on the tag will specify water resistant and for how long. I think motorcycle gear companies should do the same thing.

Is your gear waterproof or water resistant? Let everyone know. POST POST POST POST

Old April 20th, 2011, 04:46 PM   #4
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
I used to use Nikwax for hiking boots. I'd imagine it'd work on leather motorcycle boots. I also hear candle/parafilm wax can also work but probably wont last as long.
Nikwax is awesome! I use mine on my boots and have never had a problem.

My Daytona Ladystar GTX boots are 100% waterproof. They're spendy but my first pair lasted about 80,000 miles. They only stopped being waterproof because I scraped them against a sharp rock while dualsporting and it cut a hole along some stitching. I've had my second pair for about three years and they're still going strong.

I've gone wading into the Pacific a few times with them; socks stayed perfectly dry.

Old April 20th, 2011, 11:52 PM   #5
SaintJPN
ninjette.org member

I own a pair of Icon Accelerant Waterproof Boots.

First impressions: Looks good, takes time to actually put on and tighten the laces which are supposed to be speed laces but turn out to take an extra long time adjusting and the strap is a little bit of a pain to get exactlly how you want it every time you put the boots on.

The boots are 100% waterproof for about the first 2 months, after that I noticed that the speed laces towards the toes start to really tug on the material and seperate from the boot making a very nice entry point for water to enter.

Crash test: There's a steel shank in the mid soul and the boots are pretty thick due to all the lining for waterproofing. Compared to a regular pair of leather work boots they are much better at safety but compared to a pair of race boots, no contest...the race boots are extremely better due to protection from crushing. I broke the bone in my foot that contects my heel bone to the rest of my foot which unforunately is the centerpoint of most of the stress is taken.

My personal opinnion: wish I would have thrown a little more money at a better pair of boots and invested in a set of boot rain covers which I currently use and greatly appreciate.

Quick fixes for waterproofing: plastic bag trick (see first post) or tons of water repellant spray (1 can here in Japan is about $22 so I usually go with the plastic bag).

Old April 21st, 2011, 05:16 AM   #6
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

My Joe Rocket waterproof boots never worked so well.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2011, 08:19 AM   #7
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Why not spend a little extra and get some boots that are gore-tex lined? Although I don't ride in the rain, waterproof boots are usually the warmest so I buy them for my winter commute. I would suggest some nice Dainese touring boots with gore-tex. Super comfy and water proof.

Old April 22nd, 2011, 01:10 PM   #8
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintJPN View Post
I own a pair of Icon Accelerant Waterproof Boots.

First impressions: Looks good, takes time to actually put on and tighten the laces which are supposed to be speed laces but turn out to take an extra long time adjusting and the strap is a little bit of a pain to get exactlly how you want it every time you put the boots on.

The boots are 100% waterproof for about the first 2 months, after that I noticed that the speed laces towards the toes start to really tug on the material and seperate from the boot making a very nice entry point for water to enter.

Crash test: There's a steel shank in the mid soul and the boots are pretty thick due to all the lining for waterproofing. Compared to a regular pair of leather work boots they are much better at safety but compared to a pair of race boots, no contest...the race boots are extremely better due to protection from crushing. I broke the bone in my foot that contects my heel bone to the rest of my foot which unforunately is the centerpoint of most of the stress is taken.

My personal opinnion: wish I would have thrown a little more money at a better pair of boots and invested in a set of boot rain covers which I currently use and greatly appreciate.

Quick fixes for waterproofing: plastic bag trick (see first post) or tons of water repellant spray (1 can here in Japan is about $22 so I usually go with the plastic bag).
I have the same boots!

I had the same problem! lol

My left foot gets a little wetter, faster, than my right foot.

Water enters , and my TOEs are the first thing to get wet.

It helps to postion your TOEs on your foot pegs, during heavy-med rain. It helps lessen the amount of water, able to pool into/through the stitching.

I found that MORE water enters the boot, faster if my i postion my HEELs on my foot pegs and relax my Toes, pointing downward!

My take...

Icons Acelerant Waterproof Boots:

ARENT WATERPROOF!

ARE VERY COMFY!
to walk around in, like i have at bike night/event for 12-14 hrs!
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2011, 10:32 AM   #9
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

The best way to stay dry is to get a pair of rain boot covers and slip them on over your boots when caught in the rain. They pack down to almost nothing and take less than a minute to slide on. They are uncovered on the bottom so you are walking on the soles of your boots so they don't slip when you put your foot down. They can be had here or on any of many motorcycle gear sites and cost between $15-25 so not a big deal. If you carry rain gear, just pack these in, or put them in your jacket pocket if you will need them.
http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Rai...3666140&sr=8-2
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2011, 11:23 AM   #10
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Also depending on the design of your boot. If there arent any seams in the boot region, you could use gaiters.

http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/gaiters.html

If you rub wax on the exposed zippers, that'll seal them up nicely. Not nearly as cheap as the plastic bag idea, but it works.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote