ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old December 24th, 2010, 01:46 PM   #1
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Anyone use s2straps?

Anybody have experience with s2straps?

http://www.s2straps.com/install.php

The demo shows them using seat bolts and frame bolts. I like the frame bolt idea but I cannot for the life of me figure out a good place to bolt it to that doesnt get in the way.

I can understand 2 towards the tail-light area but where could we bolt the other 2 near the locking mechanism and still be functional?
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2010, 09:14 PM   #2
SaintJPN
ninjette.org member

Name: Saint

Motorcycle(s): 2009 KAW Ninja250r

Personally I would skip purchasing this product. Maybe looks cool but not very practical I think. Rain, wind, bugs, blah blah blah...don't really want any of that inside my helmet even if it is a spare helmet.

As for your mounting problems, I haven't recently looked under my rearseat in a bit but if you have to create a new mounting hole...it wouldn't be difficult and very inexpensive to use some metal to bridge from one mount to another while creating your own mounting point on the piece of metal. Get creative. Finish it off with some black spray paint and none's the wiser.
SaintJPN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2010, 02:58 AM   #3
setasai

Yea I wasn't really going to purchase it but I was curious as to what kind of mount points we might have. I have the kreiga US-20 system and right now it is just wrapped around the rear passenger seat. I was thinking that it would be interesting if there was a mount point directly on the frame so that when stowed away, I could just tuck it under instead of possibly losing it somewhere.

I have a tendency to lose everything so I always try to come up with ways to secure accessories. Thanks for the feedback though.

Old December 27th, 2010, 04:04 PM   #4
SaintJPN
ninjette.org member

Impulse shopping

I've learned through my years of impulse shopping that if it's not specifically made for your ride then it's not going to fit right or look right.

The definition of "Universal Fit" is that, yeah, it'll fit after some heavy modification and ...oh btw whatever the image was on the package or website is not how yours is going to look.

Anything I buy that is going to make me drill holes in my frame or fairings just means that whoever made this product didn't care enough to go an extra step further to care for the customer and was just in it to turn a quick profit.

Unrelated to this but I bought a set of new Halo Lights for my Toyota bB(Japanese is the bB....US's Scion xB) when they were the hottest thing out. Cost me something like $280 and were made for my ride. Had to do some cutting and splicing on my wires and when it was all said and done...there was a gap between the lights and the body. I wasted $280 on looks and the lights were horrible because they were almost not adjustable.

If you really want something to fit perfect for your ride, whatever it is, really the only way to go is to have someone custom make whatever it is specifically for your ride. If you really look into it, it's not as expensive as you think it would be. + you'll have a unique feature on your ride.

Personally in my storage compartment under the rearseat I've got my essentials... a small waterproof container (surfers use for ID cards and maybe a few cigarettes) to hold my insurance and registration paperwork and also a couple of those small bottles of energy shots just in case I get a little tired because nothings more dangerous than nodding off while riding a motorcycle.

Old December 27th, 2010, 08:42 PM   #5
setasai

Energy Shots... thats another brilliant idea. You're full of ideas SaintJPN but like i said, mounting ideas are always fun because there are always things you can use it for.

Old December 27th, 2010, 09:24 PM   #6
SaintJPN
ninjette.org member

I'll have a chance to look at mine tomorrow in the daylight and I'll see if I can think of anything. Now you've got me interested in making brackets and stuff. haha any excuse to use my welder. BTW if you are into making brakets, I recommend threading the mounting holes. Does wonders for stability especially if you don't want your bracket flush with the mounting surface.

Old December 27th, 2010, 09:45 PM   #7
SaintJPN
ninjette.org member

Just finished watching the actual videos. This isn't anything special that I can tell. You can walk into your local Lowes or Home Depot and buy what you need to make your own straps in whatever color you want.

1. plastic buckles (get the thick plastic ones cause they're stronger).
2. Nylon strapping (pick your color/width/length)
3. Don't forget to get the concho or whatever the hell it's called (lets you tighten or loosen your strapping

4. In the video the mounting point on the strapping is a grommet. You can get a grommet kit from anyone that does crafts or pick one up at walmart or even a home center....if you want one. I think it's not needed.

5. The strapping at where the grommet is located is screwed on three sides. You don't have to do this but it makes it look clean and keeps it from fraying.

I'm gonna go make me some now. I'll update you on the mounting points and possible mounting points.

Old December 27th, 2010, 10:03 PM   #8
setasai

Haha, I'm glad someone else is so enthused. The mounting point is the hardest part. There really isnt anything under the passenger seat that you can mount things to without getting in the way of something else or drilling holes. I think I might have found a way to get something to work but we'll see.

Old December 28th, 2010, 05:28 PM   #9
setasai

Nope... how frustrating this is. There absolutely no mounting points without some kind of welding or drilling of holes into the frame itself. even if you were to drill mounting points, I can already see issues with things getting in the way of each other regardless.

Old December 29th, 2010, 03:36 PM   #10
SaintJPN
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
Nope... how frustrating this is. There absolutely no mounting points without some kind of welding or drilling of holes into the frame itself. even if you were to drill mounting points, I can already see issues with things getting in the way of each other regardless.
I had time to check out everything. Took a lot of pictures but I'm trying to figure out how to upload them when my wife's computer is screwed now. Virus. My work computer doesn't allow outside sources (chargers/cdroms/dvd/etc).

1. went to my local hardware store. Founds a prepackaged set of straps just like they use on the website (comes with two 3 meter long straps in an awesome Lime Green color) for roughly $4.00 .

2. Look at your rear seat. Notice the little strip of black? Open your seat up and turn it over and that strip is bolted to the seat. Loosen the nuts and there's your first mounting point. 2nd mounting point doesn't need to be mounted. Halfway back under the seat there's two studs (plastic) that hang off of your seat....keep the second strap between that and your first mount point and everything's cool OR you can mount them to 1 of the 2 allan bolts in the rear of your seat tray underneath (there's two allan bolts on the left and two on the right...I suggest the one that's not closest to the rear of the bike).

I tried strapping my Icon Alliance Speedfreak helmet (yellow btw) to the rearseat like they do on the website with just one strap. Total and Complete BullSh*t! There's no way in hell that the helmet will stay in place. I cranked on it too even to the point of possibly scratching the hell out of my helmet, luckily it didn't. I tried running the strap through and around and all sorts of different funky configurations through the chinstrap while still going through the open part of the helmet. It is as I thought, a sales gimmick picture. A nice little Eye-Candy photography that helps sell merchandise. I would love to see a real video of they driving 45mph or more down the highway with their helmet using only a single strap.

If you wanted to use this setup for carrying say a box you got in from the post office...sure no problem. Run your second strap under the seat crossways (nose to tail) cut a hole and run it through the post that locks your seat into your bike and run the other side under the slit that the back of the seat slides into before you lock it down, this way you now got a "t" shape with your straps. Personally, nothing beats a nice Spider bungee net but make sure the hooks have plenty of plastic/rubber coating so to not scratch your ride.

Old December 29th, 2010, 06:11 PM   #11
setasai

Haha! I'm glad you tested it out. I was also feeling skeptical about the helmet thingy. Having 2 mount points in the front is in no way secure. Unless I'm mistaken, I believe physics wont allow stability if the forces arent balanced.\

I'm not actually looking to use the s2straps design exactly. I was thinking of something else more practical. If I can figure out how to describe it, i'll let you know. Until then, thanks for trying.

Old December 29th, 2010, 06:18 PM   #12
SaintJPN
ninjette.org member

Absolutely no problem.

I take a lot of enjoyment helping others not to waste money on b/s items that are all 'gimmicked-up'.

There's an old saying that you can polish a turd all you want but it's still a turd.

Old January 3rd, 2011, 05:33 PM   #13
setasai

First off, I would like to say that I am aware there are a ton of different bags on the market but I am a huge fan of versatility and one thing I found lacking on this bike are mount points. Sure you can lash things with bungee nets and straps to the passenger pegs and license plate but when it's all said and done, you've still got knick-knacks to play with. So since I'm easily annoyed and my first post gave me an idea. I've come up with the following.

All directly mounted on the frame and self storing inside the trunk with room to spare for the usual toolkit/other knick-knacks. No new holes were drilled into the frame at all and frankly, I think it looks fairly clean. Secure enough that I can shake the whole bike without the rig itself moving so it has to be strong enough to lash anything reasonable. I hope.

On a different note, I wonder if I can use the same idea and do some kind of hardcase saddlebag mount with it. Completely removable and lets face it, I had fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4987.jpg (81.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4988.jpg (80.3 KB, 25 views)

Old January 6th, 2011, 01:09 PM   #14
Kipawa

Hey Setasai, fantastic idea and execution! I spent last summer experimenting with bungee net and cords and wasn't happy with anything! That looks sweet! Perfect that it can just be stowed away out of sight but there just in case you need it. Definitley agree it will be very solid for the daily commute! That's my first project once I get Blue back out of storage in my neighbours garage once the snow melts here! Thanks again for the great idea and proof of concept!

Old January 6th, 2011, 03:33 PM   #15
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

Just make sure you stow those straps somewhere secure when they are not being used and where they don't blow around and don't forget to tuck them away. You really don't want one of those hanging down and getting into your rear wheel when you are riding. Or scratching up your paint.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2011, 04:16 PM   #16
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
Just make sure you stow those straps somewhere secure when they are not being used and where they don't blow around and don't forget to tuck them away. You really don't want one of those hanging down and getting into your rear wheel when you are riding. Or scratching up your paint.
There is a bungee rubber band thingy to tie up the straps when not in use. The black straps belong to the Kreiga US-20 that I use and will either be bound to the US-20 or stowed away in the trunk itself so there is no chance it'll get tied up with the rear wheel.

Old January 6th, 2011, 04:19 PM   #17
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipawa View Post
Hey Setasai, fantastic idea and execution! I spent last summer experimenting with bungee net and cords and wasn't happy with anything! That looks sweet! Perfect that it can just be stowed away out of sight but there just in case you need it. Definitley agree it will be very solid for the daily commute! That's my first project once I get Blue back out of storage in my neighbours garage once the snow melts here! Thanks again for the great idea and proof of concept!
np, I'm now looking into using the same concept to maybe provide a more secure mount for the top cases so that it's not just the keylatch/pin system. Used it a few times. Secures nice and tight and is fairly versatile since many existing bags have similar buckles that accept flat webbing.

Old February 23rd, 2011, 10:59 PM   #18
SaintJPN
ninjette.org member

Here's a picture of those cheap straps I bought at a home store...they really match the color of my bike perfectly. Sorry for posting pics late but finally got around to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 559.jpg (117.0 KB, 12 views)

Old February 24th, 2011, 09:39 AM   #19
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

Quote:
np, I'm now looking into using the same concept to maybe provide a more secure mount for the top cases so that it's not just the keylatch/pin system. Used it a few times. Secures nice and tight and is fairly versatile since many existing bags have similar buckles that accept flat webbing.
I have a top case mounted to a rear seat pan, to mount secure I drilled a hole through my stock under tail, through the seat pan and into the trunk. I put a long carriage bolt through and attached with some flat washers, washers and a wing nut inside the case so it's secure and yet easy to remove when I need to.

Here are some pics, I can take better ones if you need...

Pic of under tail:

Pic inside case:

Completed pic:
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2011, 04:04 PM   #20
SaintJPN
ninjette.org member

Those are some nasty angles for your bolts... even though you have lock washers on them I would highly recommend using loctite or (my personal favorite) some plumber's tape. 1 and a quarter turn should do the trick.

Old February 24th, 2011, 04:30 PM   #21
slolane
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintJPN View Post
Those are some nasty angles for your bolts... even though you have lock washers on them I would highly recommend using loctite or (my personal favorite) some plumber's tape. 1 and a quarter turn should do the trick.
3 of the 4 that attach the case to the seat pan are flat, the 4th is on a bit of an angle but not bad. The large bolt that comes up from the undertail is on a greater angle, the lock washer helps keep the wing nut pretty still, plus I can see it every time I open the case and check it as needed. It would have to back off 1 1/4" of threads before it would come off and that wouldn't be in a day of riding. Thanks

Old February 24th, 2011, 06:33 PM   #22
SaintJPN
ninjette.org member

To each their own.

Old February 24th, 2011, 07:20 PM   #23
slolane
Motorcyclist

Quote:
To each their own.
Yup, thanks for the heads up though.

Old February 24th, 2011, 09:30 PM   #24
setasai

Quote:
Here's a picture of those cheap straps I bought at a home store...they really match the color of my bike perfectly. Sorry for posting pics late but finally got around to it.
Nice. It really comes in quite handy. Funny though because I also store a bungee net in the trunk as well and between the kreiga straps, my added straps, and the bungee net, I can basically lug around anything i want. Granted it fits on the tail end of the bike. Although, I wouldnt be surprised If it would handle a 36+pack of water.

The ones I used were from REI camping section.
http://www.rei.com/product/720804

If anybody need's more detailed closeup shots of how I have it mounted and stored, let me know.

Old February 24th, 2011, 09:32 PM   #25
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by slolane View Post
3 of the 4 that attach the case to the seat pan are flat, the 4th is on a bit of an angle but not bad. The large bolt that comes up from the undertail is on a greater angle, the lock washer helps keep the wing nut pretty still, plus I can see it every time I open the case and check it as needed. It would have to back off 1 1/4" of threads before it would come off and that wouldn't be in a day of riding. Thanks
Hey thanks for the idea. I saw one of your other threads with your DIY topcase and I had planned on something similar but never got around to finding an extra passenger seat for cheap. I was thinking that since I have the 1/2 inch aluminum rods going across, If I could find a way to use those as anchor points. I might have some time this weekend, maybe I'll swing out and get some parts.

Old February 24th, 2011, 09:51 PM   #26
slolane
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Hey thanks for the idea. I saw one of your other threads with your DIY topcase and I had planned on something similar but never got around to finding an extra passenger seat for cheap. I was thinking that since I have the 1/2 inch aluminum rods going across, If I could find a way to use those as anchor points. I might have some time this weekend, maybe I'll swing out and get some parts.
Your welcome, just trying to share ideas. The seats go anywhere from $30-75 on here and eBay but it's hit and miss. Sounds like you have some good ideas, please post up pics of your progress too.

Old February 25th, 2011, 12:51 AM   #27
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by slolane View Post
Your welcome, just trying to share ideas. The seats go anywhere from $30-75 on here and eBay but it's hit and miss. Sounds like you have some good ideas, please post up pics of your progress too.
Ouch. $30 isnt bad but $75 is quite a bit for something i'll be destroying. I wonder if i have any scrap sheet metal or something I could use to make my own seat pan. Time to rummage.

Old February 25th, 2011, 08:10 AM   #28
slolane
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Ouch. $30 isnt bad but $75 is quite a bit for something i'll be destroying. I wonder if i have any scrap sheet metal or something I could use to make my own seat pan. Time to rummage.
Agreed, I wasn't going to pay over $40 for something I was tearing apart either. I don't have the metal or skills to fit something into the place of the rear seat pan with all the bends, fitting into the rear slot, working with the latch and keeping the shape to keep water out of the trunk like the rear seat does. If you do make something you could add attachment points to secure saddlebags as needed, that would be sweet! I would like a custom larger seat pan that held the trunk and went over the sides and down to allow saddlebags to be attached as one piece, then the weight would be supported from the seat pan and pulling down and tied into the rear pegs too.

Old February 25th, 2011, 08:20 AM   #29
Kipawa

Quote:
If anybody need's more detailed closeup shots of how I have it mounted and stored, let me know.
Yes please! Next weekend I start preparing for all my spring time mods and the addition of the Kriega bag is the first one.

Thanks!

Old February 25th, 2011, 03:55 PM   #30
setasai

Quote:
Yes please! Next weekend I start preparing for all my spring time mods and the addition of the Kriega bag is the first one.

Thanks!
Ok, Here you go.

Rough parts list:
-1/2-3/4inch steel clamp
-3/4inch hose clamps
-rubber
-3/4-1inch D-rings
-1-1 1/2 inch long bolts with nylon lock nuts + some washers

Be creative with the rest of it. I did need to shave off a little plastic where the bolts and I also had to remove the rubber bumpers off the passenger seat. Hope this helps. If you only plan on using the kreiga, you might not need to go through all the trouble. Just lay the straps under the passenger seat and be done with it. I do like the extra support of the D-rings though. This way I am sure the stress is not on the passenger seat locking mechanism.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20110225_114503.jpg (113.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20110225_114526.jpg (108.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20110225_114542.jpg (96.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20110225_114615.jpg (79.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20110225_114633.jpg (55.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20110225_114737.jpg (94.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20110225_114834.jpg (102.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20110225_114845.jpg (47.0 KB, 2 views)

Old February 25th, 2011, 05:17 PM   #31
Kipawa

Super! Thanks very much. Yes even with just the bag I don't necessarily trust the seat latch and hook! You have the bag right? Still recommend it? I'm going to get the 20l.

Old February 25th, 2011, 05:55 PM   #32
setasai

Quote:
Super! Thanks very much. Yes even with just the bag I don't necessarily trust the seat latch and hook! You have the bag right? Still recommend it? I'm going to get the 20l.
Yup I do have it and I love it. Here's my thoughts on it in this thread.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...ghlight=kreiga

If you do end up purchasing it, read the last post about sewing the straps, they really make taking on/off the bag simpler and faster because it limits the flapping of the ends and also makes it easier to lengthen.

Old February 26th, 2011, 04:53 PM   #33
Kipawa

Hopefully going to get bag on order tonight, now if the snow would just melt! Got the DIY threads all saved and will be ready to install as soon as I can rescue Blue from neighbours garage!

Thanks again for the DIY!

Old February 26th, 2011, 06:19 PM   #34
setasai

Quote:
Hopefully going to get bag on order tonight, now if the snow would just melt! Got the DIY threads all saved and will be ready to install as soon as I can rescue Blue from neighbours garage!

Thanks again for the DIY!
Yup, Np. Let us know how it works for you. All of our needs are different so I'm curious how it works for you and alternative uses you might come up with. Goodluck.

Old February 26th, 2011, 06:25 PM   #35
Kipawa

Ordered! Tell you in April!