ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old March 14th, 2011, 11:30 AM   #1
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

So I Crashed!!

We went to the track this weekend(jenningsgp). Morning was really fun, afternoon we were just taking it easy........ Ever since my first time at this track, T10-11 were not my favorite corners. Well thats what bit me
Front took off on me, thought I had it saved up to the point where my head hit the ground.

Anyway, Right thumb is scewed up(wasnt letting go)/left knee/left elbo and some fractured ribs. Think me and gear are more hurt than the bike......
Track days arnt suppose to end with a trip to the hospital.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2011, 11:33 AM   #2
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Wow Kerry! Sucks to hear that!

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2011, 11:37 AM   #3
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

That sucks! Heal fast man.

Did they get any pics of the crash? Do you know exactly what you did wrong?
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Ouch! Which bike were you on?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2011, 11:49 AM   #5
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

Sorry to hear this, wishing you a speedy recovery.
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2011, 12:02 PM   #6
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Ouch! Which bike were you on?
I'm guessing the R1... 250s can't go fast enough to get hurt.

Heal up quickly, Kerry. Very sorry to hear of your mishap. Are you on pain killers and washing it down with lots of rum or skipping the pain killers and using just the rum?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2011, 12:06 PM   #7
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Question

Do you know what happened?
too much speed?
too little speed?
too much brake?
too much lean?
did you hang off the moto enough?
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2011, 12:32 PM   #8
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

ouch. hope you heal fast.
Funny how "crashes" seem to come about when your taking it easy.
Lack of focus maybe?? Been there, done that.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2011, 01:06 PM   #9
Indy250r
ninjette.org member

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 KTM 990 ADV

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost40 View Post
ouch. hope you heal fast.
Funny how "crashes" seem to come about when your taking it easy.
Lack of focus maybe?? Been there, done that.
I read Nick Ienatsch's Sport riding techniques, and he said that it was not unusual for his student's lap times to go down at the end of the day when they were finished with training and were just out riding laps and relaxing.

Last futzed with by Indy250r; March 14th, 2011 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Fixed to reflect what I meant to say.
Indy250r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2011, 01:28 PM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I think you mean their lap times went down (got better).

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2011, 01:33 PM   #11
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Or to the side

... heal quick, Kerry.

Old March 14th, 2011, 03:31 PM   #12
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Kerry, I heard you were about to better Ben's time, right before you went down.

Hope you feel better soon. Pride takes a while to heal.

Old March 14th, 2011, 03:53 PM   #13
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Been in pain/had surgery before..... But these cracked ribs freaking take the cake. Have some pain killers, they dont seem to do much. Either did the shot at the hospital. Cant lay down, can only like sit up.... People at the Valdosta Georgia hospital where cool, big thanks to them.
Also big sorry to the wife for the trauma I put her thru..

Dont know if anybody got pictures. I know I didnt get my CD of pics, the lady there was gonna make me one.

For my speed, I do 1:25's in the morning. After lunch 1:30's. Was following another bike around for a few laps, my little voice saying just hange here and be cool. I did notice a 1:32 before the start of my last lap. Corner is around 70 I think looking at some of my old videos.

Anyway, I remember the front sliding, I caught the bike with my knee, thought I had saved it, I remember a strange engine note.... like maybe the lean angle sensor killed the motor?? Then the front took off, and I was on the ground. Thats all I can really run thru my head.... they ask me a bunch of questions, since it took me awhile to get up. Got all the questions right but what year it is.
Was doing my same riding style, so guess it was just one of those things...

Old March 14th, 2011, 03:58 PM   #14
kkim

have you asked them for a different pain killer? I know some that I've been given in the past just didn't work and when they switched to different pain medicine, it worked a lot better than the first.

take it easy and heal up, bud.

Old March 14th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #15
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Wife was trying to get me an appt with our family doctor, I told her no. We had X-rays/CT scan, so what else could they do.

Kelly, my brother is like you. He said go get more pain killers
They gave vicodin's, I have a bunch of 7.5 & 10 Lortabs from my surgery's. So Iam taking all of them!

Oh, and I learned dont drink rum with meds! It will get me throwing up, I dont think I could survive that right now

Old March 14th, 2011, 04:25 PM   #16
HKr1
IC2(SW)

My gear.

Really sucks is I dont what jacket and helmet I wanna get...... Boots, yeah. Guess were looking at solid color for a helmet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg helmet.JPG (200.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg jacket.JPG (207.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg pants.JPG (208.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg boot.JPG (130.9 KB, 21 views)

Old March 14th, 2011, 04:35 PM   #17
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

Glad you came out okay for the most part.
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2011, 04:43 PM   #18
davisw4089
ninjette.org member

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Well looks like the gear also took quite a beating. Get well soon

Old March 14th, 2011, 04:52 PM   #19
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

Take it from me, a retired thoracic/cardiac surgeon, who's seen a lot of chest injuries and fractured ribs in my career --
instead of all those narcotic type meds trying to give you pain relief, get to a thoracic surgeon and ask him to do an intercostal nerve block with local anesthesia of all the levels of broken ribs and the one above and the one below (because of how the intercostal nerves overlap). The pain will be gone within 10 seconds and when the local wears off, the discomfort may be a grade 2 or 3/10 instead of the 7-8-9/10 you're feeling now, and very easily managed then with oral meds. It seems that once you get relief and the pain cycle is broken, it never comes back with the original intensity again. It only takes a few min. to do this and you'll love me (and him) when it's over. I've done this innumerable times and it always works and is the best way to take care of this misery. BTW, be prepared - the pain and soreness of broken ribs is going to last a few weeks. Sorry about the whole thing, at least you will heal fine from the injury and nothing else really bad happened to you.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2011, 04:55 PM   #20
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
Take it from me, a retired thoracic/cardiac surgeon, who's seen a lot of chest injuries and fractured ribs in my career --
instead of all those narcotic type meds trying to give you pain relief, get to a thoracic surgeon and ask him to do an intercostal nerve block with local anesthesia of all the levels of broken ribs and the one above and the one below (because of how the intercostal nerves overlap). The pain will be gone within 10 seconds and when the local wears off, the discomfort may be a grade 2 or 3/10 instead of the 7-8-9/10 you're feeling now, and very easily managed then with oral meds. It seems that once you get relief and the pain cycle is broken, it never comes back with the original intensity again. It only takes a few min. to do this and you'll love me (and him) when it's over. I've done this innumerable times and it always works and is the best way to take care of this misery. BTW, be prepared - the pain and soreness of broken ribs is going to last a few weeks. Sorry about the whole thing, at least you will heal fine from the injury and nothing else really bad happened to you.
perhaps you can just bop on over to his house and do this for him in his living room?

thanks for some good info.

Old March 14th, 2011, 05:44 PM   #21
Indy250r
ninjette.org member

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 KTM 990 ADV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I think you mean their lap times went down (got better).
Oops! Yes, that's what I meant to say.
Indy250r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2011, 06:00 PM   #22
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

kkim - I honestly wish I could. It would make us both feel better (him more than me I bet).
I did this for my 78 year old mother in her bedroom when she fell down and fractured 6 ribs after hitting the curb. You have no idea how quick the relief from pain is.

Old March 15th, 2011, 08:07 AM   #23
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Kerry, Sorry to hear you went down, but glad to hear you're still alive. Take care!

Old March 15th, 2011, 08:17 AM   #24
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Kerry, I broke a rib playing soccer years back and it took over a year for the pain to go away. Listen to the Doc and go get the right pain treatment. Then send me the rum and other meds and I'll tell you if they make me puke.

Old March 15th, 2011, 08:38 AM   #25
Ash
ninjette.org member

Name: Ash

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Sorry to hear about the crash, get well soon!
Ash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2011, 08:50 AM   #26
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Yeah Marc, stop on by. Iam gonna be home all day Thanks for the info, think will have to go thru family doc for a referral.... ER doc said 3-8 weeks, and I fractured 4 & 5. Do you count from the top down, or bottom up?

Tom, you can have all my bottles of rum! IDK about those pills, they come in handy

Thanks everyone for the good thoughts

Old March 15th, 2011, 09:17 PM   #27
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

If you cracked #4 and 5, you would inject the intercostal space below the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th ribs (where the nerves are, below the ribs) to numb the area of your broken ones. Each intercostal nerve as it comes out from the spine has 3 branches that overlap and innervate that particular rib and the one above and the one below. So to totally anesthetize one rib, you have to get three nerves, that one and the one above and the one below, because of the overlap. Clear?
I'd gladly take a trip out there if I had a vial of Lidocaine and some needles and a syringe. I don't need the Fl. license, just do it.
If you can find a doc to do this, if he has Marcaine that's even better - longer lasting, but they both work really well. Maybe by the time you can find someone to do this, your pain might be a little more tolerable, but if you get it done, you'll say "Aaahhh. Thanks."
You might ask your GP, if he doesn't know a local chest surgeon, to see if one of the local anesthesiologists would do that, or call the hospital in Valdosta and see what you can find out from them. How big is the hospital in Pensacola?

Old March 15th, 2011, 09:23 PM   #28
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Sorry to hear about your wreck Kerry. Get well soon
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2011, 09:30 PM   #29
zilaniz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 08 R6

^^^ wouldn't the pain be back after 1-2 hours when the lidocaine wears off though?
zilaniz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2011, 06:48 AM   #30
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Zilaniz- It's interesting, but when that local anesthesia wears off the pain never returns at that original level and is much more manageable. Like I said before, it may be a 2-3/10 when it returns, compared to 7-8-9/10 before.

And HKr1- another way to control or manage the pain much better than you are doing now if you don't find someone to inject your back -- Ask your doctor for a prescription for Duragesic patches. They come in three strengths, 25, 50, and 100 micrograms. It is a very potent pain killer called fentanyl in a patch placed on your skin and in what's called a transdermal delivery system. You get a constant absorption of the medicine through the skin, the patch lasts 3 days, then you remove it and replace another one somewhere else on your body (chest, side, eg,). The advantage of this is that there's constant pain relief, not up and down like a roller coaster when you take a pain pill every 4 hours or so, and this drug works much better than Percocet or oxycodone, and there are no side effects at all, like nausea, headache, dizziness, anything.
FYI, you don't get addicted to pain killers or narcotic type drugs if you take them for pain, when the pain is gone and you stop the drug, you're fine and there is no withdrawal or anything so you don't have to worry about that.
You would probably be OK with the 50 microgram patch, they usually come in a box of 5 patches so it would last you 15 days which would probably be enough to get you over this. And if you still needed a little extra pain relief, you could still take one of your pills and you wouldn't OD.
Most doctors are a little reluctant or afraid to prescribe something like this, either because they don't realize how painful and uncomfortable fractured ribs are, they are unaware of this type of therapy, they are afraid of some authority finding out they prescribed a narcotic (which is what this is supposed too be used for), or they don't give a crap how you feel. If your doctor has any compassion or smarts, he may give you an Rx for this if your pain is not controlled with the pills you are taking.

Old March 16th, 2011, 11:09 AM   #31
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Quote:
Maybe by the time you can find someone to do this, your pain might be a little more tolerable, but if you get it done, you'll say "Aaahhh. Thanks."
Aaaahhhh would be great. Hate the whole thing of getting an appt, going for another appt.
But, WOW Lots of info!! Have to think all this over... Wife is leaving in the mornng for Cali, so Iam gonna be on my own now

Old March 16th, 2011, 02:56 PM   #32
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Kerry, you feeling better yet?

Old March 17th, 2011, 09:39 AM   #33
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Kerry, you feeling better yet?
No, thumb is getting better. It's not twice its normal size

Have an appt with my family doctor tomorrow. Going to tell him all the things you mentioned Marc

Heres a pic for you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rib4-5.jpg (115.5 KB, 11 views)

Old March 17th, 2011, 12:52 PM   #34
kkim

I'm no doctor (but I did stay in a Holiday Inn), but why are the left and right lungs not symmetrical in the xray? is that due to the swelling occurring below the injury?

sucks to hear you're still in pain. get it resolved asap.

Old March 17th, 2011, 01:24 PM   #35
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
Heres a pic for you
Any incident that results in x-rays posted deserves all of these:

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2011, 01:34 PM   #36
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Kkim - the oval shaped thing in the bottom bulging out to the right side of the picture is called the heart (it's in the left chest).

HKr1 - I don't have the actual film in front of me and any other views, but blowing up that pic you sent to as large as it gets and the quality of it, I only see # 5 fractured, altho it would be easy to miss any others based solely on the quality of that photo.

Let us know what your doc tells you. Have fun driving in the car and go slow, don't make any sudden moves.

Old March 17th, 2011, 01:41 PM   #37
kkim

Quote:
Kkim - the oval shaped thing in the bottom bulging out to the right side of the picture is called the heart (it's in the left chest).
lol... cancel my reservations at Holiday Inn, then.

I wasn't aware the heart was positioned so low, but now that I think about it, that is about a fist's height above the belly button as they teach you on where to position your compressions in CPR.

Old March 17th, 2011, 03:58 PM   #38
HKr1
IC2(SW)

First thing the wife said, was look at your heart. I was like, look at that cracked rib

Had to drive today. No "ricky racer".... just had to putt along

Iam just hoping for drugs from the family doctor. He always sends me else where for other things

We have another view of the ribs, side shot. Kinda looks like you can see the other break.....
Couple other favorite pics!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R hand.jpg (36.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg T1 sticker.JPG (243.8 KB, 11 views)

Old March 17th, 2011, 08:19 PM   #39
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Oooh, a big booboo on your thumb too. What color is it now?

Old March 18th, 2011, 08:36 AM   #40
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Quote:
Oooh, a big booboo on your thumb too. What color is it now?
You can see something on that? I was happy not seeing anything on it broken... I thought it was broke, casue it didnt work any more. Swelling is going down(looked like the skin was going to burst, hot dog on broil). But funny you mention the color.... I noticed the other day it's color changing. Looks like a dark yellow/gold I think.

Family doc gave more meds, didnt look at my disk. Got paper work from ER to read. Going back in two weeks........

Need to heal up, so I can work on my bike! And I missing all the nice riding weather!!