ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 23rd, 2017, 08:14 AM   #1
Cep
ninjette.org member

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Clutch / throttle cable lock nut question

I am having massive pain trying to understand how to adjust the cables from the lever end of the bike. I know the adjuster nut and the lock nut. But what confuses me is.... Which way to turn the lock nut to make it "locked" ?
I have read numerous posts and watched numerous videos but they all seem to have different opinions or dont show it at all.
On my 2012 250r, the clutch cable had the lock nut all the way to the end (away from the adjuster nut), and my throttle cable had the lock nut snugged up to the adjuster nut. So this just added to my confusion.

When you are done adjusting, do you move screw the lock nut tight against the adjuster nut or do you screw it all the way AWAY from the adjuster nut?

Thanks
Cep is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2017, 08:28 AM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
If the adjuster threads into the lever mount, the lock nut should be snugly against the lever mount, and prevents the adjustment from changing. Some throttles have a tube with male threads on it, and the adjuster has female threads that screw on that tube. That type needs the lock nut tightened against the adjuster. When in doubt, see if you can easily turn the adjuster. If you can, the lock nut is not tightened correctly.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2017, 08:29 AM   #3
Cep
ninjette.org member

Interesting, thanks. I was leaning towards the opposite.
Glad i asked

Old October 23rd, 2017, 08:34 AM   #4
Cep
ninjette.org member

What will happen if i adjust the adjuster nut too far? Will it come off the threads eventually and just fall off or? If that happens is it easy enough to put back on?
I find that my clutch seems to disengage almost immediately when you start to pull the clutch lever. I cant really adjust any more free play into it. It does seem to be working properly though.
I guess I will need to look at the clutch end of the cable and see what adjustments I can do. I hope it doesn't mean that the clutch is very worn. Bike has only 2500 miles.

And then to lube the cables...... I guess you need to disconnect them from the levers first? That doesnt sound like fun either

Old October 23rd, 2017, 08:44 AM   #5
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
This Tech Section should have some answers for you - https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Clutch_%26_Transmission
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2017, 08:49 AM   #6
Cep
ninjette.org member

Thanks again.

But, when they say "free play", does this free play have any tension?
So you start to pull the clutch lever, there is resistance but not pulling cable yet? Is that correct?

Because my "free play" has no resistance. So basically if i were to push the lever all the way up, then there is a couple mm of free play. but this just drops down automatically when you take your hand off the lever. So I dont understand where resistance would come from if it was not pulling on the cable?

Hmm. I guess the better question is, my friction zone seems to start almost right away when i feel some tension on the clutch lever. Is that typical for these bikes for the clutch engagement point to be so close to the top end of the clutch lever travel? Can the actual engagement point be changed ?

Old October 23rd, 2017, 09:54 AM   #7
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Free play is the distance the lever or cable (depending on which free play) moves before you feel it actually doing something to the clutch. It's easy to pull at first, then it gets harder. You get more free play by screwing the adjuster into the lever mount, or screwing the adjuster farther into the casting at the other end.

There's really nothing difficult about the cable system. If you unscrew the adjuster too far and it comes out, you can screw it back in. Changing a cable isn't difficult either, but might seem tricky the first time you do it. In that case, I'm sure someone can help you and then you'll be an expert too.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2017, 10:12 AM   #8
Cep
ninjette.org member

ok. Thanks
i still think i have no free play :P
I will see what more adjustments i can make.

Old October 23rd, 2017, 11:40 AM   #9
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cep View Post
ok. Thanks
i still think i have no free play :P
I will see what more adjustments i can make.
If you don't have adjustment left at the bar, make an adjustment at the other end so you have more to work with at the bar.

I think this video covers it pretty well -

Link to original page on YouTube.

jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote