ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Notices

View Poll Results: Which Browsers do you use?
Google Chrome 55 45.83%
Mozilla Firefox 60 50.00%
Internet Explorer 10 8.33%
Safari 19 15.83%
Other 3 2.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 8th, 2013, 07:34 AM   #81
Legend
Land of Bagged Milk

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): Ninja ZX-6R 2012 Passion Red

I used FF primarily for the last number of years. I just bought a MacBook Pro 13" Retina so I am trying out Safari. I do have FF installed and I am sure I will eventually switch back to that. As for FF19 the one thing I actually dislike is the build in PDF previewer, I've had tons of issues in the office and lots of complaints from users that their PDFs are messed after the version 19 upgrade. Simple fix by setting PDFs to open in Reader.

Chrome is okay but I only use it for logging into my work based Gmail account for when I am doing support. I am not a huge Google fan and that prejudice does cause me to avoid Google products.

The only time I use IE is for accessing my office OWA server.
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2013, 06:48 PM   #82
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Maxthon

Well I've been trying out Maxthon Cloud Browser and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised . It is a quick and snappy browser with cool features like being able to sync tabs you are currently viewing on the computer to the cloud and retrieving them with the Maxthon Android browser or vice versa. The in browser split screen and night mode are also handy. Browsing speed feels just as quick as Chrome (still my default browser) and the Peacekeeper browser test confirmed it in numbers:

Chrome 25 Score: 3690 HTML5 Capabilities: 6/7
Maxthon 4 Score: 3646 HTML5 Capabilities: 6/7
Opera 12 Score: 3171 HTML5 Capabilities: 3/7
Firefox 19 Score: 2231 HTML5 Capabilities: 5/7
IE 10 Score: 2200 HTML5 Capabilities: 3/7
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2015, 08:46 AM   #83
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Necro bump #2. My Firefox install wasn't auto-updating for some reason, so had to manually update it to 35.0 today. If your own install is showing less than 35.0, even after you look at "about firefox" in the menus to force an update, you can head out to mozilla.com to download the installer. No need to uninstall the old one; the new one will overwrite what is necessary while keeping all the old config data (bookmarks, saved forms, etc.).

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 14th, 2017, 02:55 PM   #84
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Figured I'd bump this back to the top. Firefox has released a substantial update today, to 57.0. They call it Quantum (at least some of the Quantum features are in 57, and more will roll out over time). They are claiming huge speed improvements, much lighter processor usage, better usage of multi-cores, and a whole bunch of other fun stuff. I do wonder if they will be able to take back some share, as Chrome has surprisingly moved to the resource-heavy, somewhat clunky product that it was initially created to vanquish.

I'll try both of 'em for awhile, to see if my feelings have changed over the past few years.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 14th, 2017, 03:43 PM   #85
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I have always liked Firefox.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2017, 03:47 PM   #86
taz
????????????????

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250, 14 ninja 300, 09 1125CR

MOTM - May '17
I was firefox fan, now just use chrome just works better then any of the others for me.
taz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2017, 04:22 PM   #87
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

Firefox fan here, but I always wait to upgrade to the next version because the add-ons always break. The add-ons are CRITICAL to my enjoyment of this browser and it pisses me off that they can't be bothered to maintain backwards compatibility.

Remember the old days when pop-up windows used to be a problem? Now it's overlays and the first thing that happens on a page you want to see is that some crap shows up over the page requiring some action before you get to see actual content. Why are all of the major browsers refusing to give us an option to disable that in the same way we opted out of pop-up windows? It almost feels like a conspiracy.

For now I manually edit out overlays of individual pages with the Adblock element hiding helper. But the first browser that gives us a way to permanently kill overlays with no effort is going to be very much welcomed.

We finally killed flash, only to receive a worse problem in HTML5. Pages with overlayed animations and sound should be made illegal.

Old November 25th, 2017, 07:33 AM   #88
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
I'm loving Firefox 57. Took me a while to find and setup replacement addons, but it's totally worth it. Firefox runs noticeably smoother and faster on my old computers.

For anyone feeling pain from loosing some addons, it might relieve you to know some of the big advantages to this new "WebExtension" addon approach Mozilla are taking:

* WebExtension addons can be more easily ported between Chrome and Firefox. This means both browsers can share more addons between them.

* WebExtension addons give users more control over addon security. It's a bit like Android where you can can see exactly what an addon can do with your browser. The addon can't (in theory) do anything other than the listed things. The old addons could do almost anything they wanted in and outside of your browser.

* The new WebExtension addon system has been designed from the ground up to help Firefox make better use of the many processor cores in your computer. This means Firefox should run faster.

* One for @Zaph42 - WebExtension addons are more likely to be backwards compatible as Firefox gets improved over time. This is because WebExtension addons aren't tightly tied to the exact inner workings of Firefox. There's now a well defined layer between Firefox's internals and the addons. Old style addons were often hooked into the deep inner workings of Firefox, so when Mozilla made changes to Firefox's inner workings, it would break things.

So although this change may be painful now, in the future it should mean Firefox is faster, more secure and there are even more addons to choose from.

Old November 25th, 2017, 06:52 PM   #89
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
I need to use multiple APA auto cites for papers.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2018, 08:30 PM   #90
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
For me, 57 killed Firefox. It seems to be a pretty good browser for standard users, but the switch to WebExtensions destroys the entire reason I used Firefox.

I want to be able to customize the browser app itself. I've said for years that nobody is ever going to make a browser exactly the way I want it, but Firefox has allowed me to customize it myself so that I can have what I want. I can no longer do that.

I'm actually still running 47 at home, because their forced addon signing broke addons that I need. I've been using the newer versions at work and have generally been happy with them. This addon change removes what I consider to be Firefox's biggest feature, so that the clueless people can't hurt themselves (as easily). Lately Mozilla has been trying their hardest to turn Firefox into a Chrome clone, and now they've done it, in my eyes.

I've been using Firefox for over 15 years now, and I'd love to keep using it, but it simply no longer does what I want.

I'll probably switch to Waterfox. I used it (along with Cyberfox) previously, before there was an official x64 build of Firefox. I'm hoping to gain the benefits of new Firefox updates, without the crap I don't want. The profile isn't a straight swap though, so I still have some tinkering to do.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote