ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 2nd, 2017, 02:46 PM   #1
MakoMoto
Ninja 250r Noob

Name: Mako

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Ticking/Clicking/Tapping noise...

Okay,

So this may sound dumb but I am not sure if this sound has been there or is normal or if its new. Its a ticking/tapping noise in the video. Does the engine sound normal to you guys? I may just be paranoid. I should also mention that there are a few clips missing on the fairings but have been unable to locate ehere the rattle would be. Any ideas? Only notice at idle...12k on bike...

https://youtu.be/HpbPefK3ahI

Old October 2nd, 2017, 04:07 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I don't hear anything unusual, but I may be hearing a little typical clutch noise. If you pull the lever, does it change?
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2017, 06:19 AM   #3
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
I didn't hear anything unusual either, but it sounds like it's idling a little uneven.

Have you adjusted the idle mixture screws, idle speed, and synced the carbs recently?
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2017, 06:28 AM   #4
MakoMoto
Ninja 250r Noob

Yes, I had my carbs cleaned and such by Ducatiman here on the forums.

Old October 3rd, 2017, 07:02 AM   #5
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Everything carb-related should be good then, but depending on the gas and the temp, you still may need to make slight adjustments to the idle mixture to get it adjusted to the optimum setting.

If you choose to make adjustments, turn them both at the same time 1/8 turn and see if you have raised or lowered the RPM. Get the highest RPMs you can, then go 1/8 turn out (richer) from there. Idle mixture setting will change with temp so you may need to make adjustments if you ride in hot and cold weather. Cold weather requires a richer adjustment. After you make the idle mixture adjustment, set the hot idle speed to 1300. Check it again after a good long ride.

What's the hot idle speed set at?

Old October 3rd, 2017, 07:31 AM   #6
MakoMoto
Ninja 250r Noob

I currently have it at 1300 (or at least I think its about 1300. Could be 1400 with how it fluctuates.

I am also having a weird issue when usong the choke. When I first got my carbs back from Duc, the choke would raise the RPMs to about 3k and I would slowly ease off the choke. Now, if I choke it, it will raise rpms for a second and then bog down to about 1200 and sound like its working hard with a louder Kawi knock to it. Luckily, my bike has been starting without choke in 50 degree weather which I thought was impossible for a Ninjette.

I bring this issue uo because I am wondering if that is being caused by the mixture screw as well?

Where are these screws located ans how do I turn them? Ive never done it before...im a noob but learning stuff very quickly over the last few months.

Old October 3rd, 2017, 07:48 AM   #7
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

I'd still like to know if pulling the clutch lever changes the noise.

If the carb performance is changing after a complete cleaning, I wonder if you're getting dirt particles from the tank into them.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 3rd, 2017, 07:54 AM   #8
MakoMoto
Ninja 250r Noob

I feel like the carbs are working fine? I am not sure. The bike rides and runs fine other than the choke doing that. As for the tank, i cleaned and rinsed it multiple times while Ducatiman had my carbs.

Lever does not alter the sound as far as I hear. Ill take a video after work.

Old October 3rd, 2017, 08:23 AM   #9
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Did you check the inline filter at the carb inlet for blockages when the carbs were off?

https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do...fuel_filter%3F

Info about adjusting the idle mixture screws - https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do...dle_mixture%3F

They shouldn't be far off, but there are factors that does make the adjustment change.

I would say you may have a fuel flow issue. How bad was the tank?

Old October 3rd, 2017, 08:32 AM   #10
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoMoto View Post
I feel like the carbs are working fine? I am not sure. The bike rides and runs fine other than the choke doing that.
If the engine is warm or partially warm, pulling the enricher lever may not raise the idle speed, and may cause labored running, since the engine would be unnecessarily rich.

You said it's starting without the enrichers in 50 degree weather though. Many things could cause that, and as one example, if dirt got in the float valves and they're not shutting off properly.

Old October 3rd, 2017, 09:28 AM   #11
MakoMoto
Ninja 250r Noob

Hmmm...well here is some more answers and questions..

- I did NOT check the inline filter. If it was IN the carb I probably assumed Ducatiman checked it out.

- If I use the enrichner when warm (did it once just to see) it worked as usual...raised it to 3k

- My tank looked clean as a whistle from what I saw. No particles came out and its shiny silverish.

- I did notice that with the tank off and petcock set to "ON" there was a TINY TINY drip every minute or so. One drip every minute or so. Could that be an issue?

- Is it safe to be riding with this going on? Ive been riding it for weeks and it seems fine?

- Should I try running some fuel system cleaner through? Am I going yo have to pull the carbs again?

Old October 3rd, 2017, 09:35 AM   #12
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

I'm sure Gordon checked everything in your carbs thoroughly. That's why I mentioned dirt/silt/debris from the tank.

The dripping petcock needs to be fixed, but isn't causing your current problems

Fuel system cleaners won't stop junk from the tank messing up clean carbs, but I don't know that you have that problem. I certainly wouldn't jump to the conclusion that you need more carb work until you determine if you have a problem at all, and if so, what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoMoto View Post
Hmmm...well here is some more answers and questions..

- I did NOT check the inline filter. If it was IN the carb I probably assumed Ducatiman checked it out.

- If I use the enrichner when warm (did it once just to see) it worked as usual...raised it to 3k

- My tank looked clean as a whistle from what I saw. No particles came out and its shiny silverish.

- I did notice that with the tank off and petcock set to "ON" there was a TINY TINY drip every minute or so. One drip every minute or so. Could that be an issue?

- Is it safe to be riding with this going on? Ive been riding it for weeks and it seems fine?

- Should I try running some fuel system cleaner through? Am I going yo have to pull the carbs again?

Old October 4th, 2017, 05:00 PM   #13
MakoMoto
Ninja 250r Noob

Okie dokie. Thank you for the responses and the willingness to help guys. Especially you Triple Jim. I feel as if your always tbe first to respond to my posts and you have directed me in so many paths that have led me to the solution in the the past months. So great to have this resource!

Old October 5th, 2017, 11:43 AM   #14
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

that clicking noise is your cam chain tensioner

Old October 24th, 2017, 06:41 AM   #15
RcTechnologies
ninjette.org member

Name: Russ

Motorcycle(s): '12 EX250JC

yep-that ultra high pitched tick is your chain tensioner...and it sounds like its within spec too. As it wears out it will get REALLY loud and almost sound like piston slap. When that happens, get a manual cam chain tensioner ($50?) and it will permanently solve a worn tensioner (not the pad).
RcTechnologies is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2017, 11:08 AM   #16
NinjaBraap
NinjaBraap

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 06 Ninja 636, 2016 Yamaha R3 (Street/Track), 2019 Ninja 400 Project Racebike

How many miles? It's straight up what the last two guys said. It's your cam chain tensioner dollars to donuts, and depending on how much milage, don't worry too much about it. However, check your oil level, if it's low it'll make more noise, so add oil to the proper level. Also if your oil is old it can affect how well it circulates, so change your oil and filter on schedule.
NinjaBraap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2017, 11:46 AM   #17
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
"dollars to donuts"?
You OR folks are weird!
How's Voodoo Donuts?
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2017, 11:56 AM   #18
NinjaBraap
NinjaBraap

Motorcycle(s): 06 Ninja 636, 2016 Yamaha R3 (Street/Track), 2019 Ninja 400 Project Racebike

Well I mean as the saying goes, "Keep Portland Weird" lol. Voodoo is overrated, but if you want to try it don't go to PDX, come to Eugene. There's no line and the traffics far better.

Old November 8th, 2017, 02:04 PM   #19
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Will do! My brother and cousin lives in Forest Grove. I'll plan on doing a trackday or race up there when I visit next!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2017, 03:10 PM   #20
NinjaBraap
NinjaBraap

Check out Oregon Superbiker's webpage, there's an awesome gokart track up in McMinneville that we go to for practice for only $50 a day, it's worth checking out if you come up. Hit me up if you ever come through.