Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old October 30th, 2017, 11:25 AM   #1
Dar
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Darius

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Selling Price??

I have a 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r with an all-around custom paint job and fairing kit with new stickers, Akrapovic exhaust, Brembo brakes, custom painted wheels, integrated rear taillight, flush mount turn signals; as well as new tires, oil change, and overall maintenance and top up. The whole bike had been torn down and custom rebuilt. A lot of blood sweat and tears have gone into this bike but I just need to upgrade to a bigger bike as I got it as a bike to learn on. (not sure how to post pictures)

What would be an optimal price point to sell this bike at in Atlanta, GA

Thanks in advance
- D
Dar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2017, 11:40 AM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Hi and Welcome!

Here's what's important to buyers:

- How many miles?
- Recent valve-adjustment?

Going into winter may be hard time to get top-dollar. Check local ads in the spring to see market-price. Unless your particular list of mods is exactly what buyer wants, a lot of times you'll get better pricing reverting back to bone-stock condition.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2017, 11:45 AM   #3
Dar
ninjette.org newbie

Pictures

IMG_6109.jpg

IMG_6127.jpg

IMG_6126.jpg

IMG_6118.jpg

IMG_6121.jpg

Old October 30th, 2017, 11:46 AM   #4
Dar
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
Hi and Welcome!

Here's what's important to buyers:

- How many miles?
- Recent valve-adjustment?

Going into winter may be a hard time to get top-dollar. Check local ads in the spring to see market-price. Unless your particular list of mods is exactly what buyer wants, a lot of times you'll get better pricing reverting back to bone-stock condition.
The bike has around 14000 miles and the valves had been adjusted.

Old October 30th, 2017, 11:56 AM   #5
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
The optimal price point is what the market will bear and not one penny more... because it won't sell if you don't meet the market where it is.

Farkles never bring what you paid for them. At best, they're the deciding factor between sale and no sale.

"Custom paint" is often code for "The bike was trashed so I painted it." That's what people expect. So if you've got before/after, that would be good, plus be prepared to demonstrate that the bike has not been crashed (i.e. there should be no telltale signs like scratches, bent stuff, etc.).

All else being equal, I'd rather buy a bone-stock bike that I can see is clean with my own eyes, rather than a farkled bike that might have had shiny baubles added to hide the fact that the original stuff has been damaged. This is also why I never throw away stock hardware. I can either show it to the buyer, or reinstall it and sell the upgrades separately.

Gut tells me that all the upgrades would be worth a bump of a couple of hundred tops, over going market rate. Stickers? Really? Please.

To get the current market rate in your area, look at ads for similar bikes. Recognize that 14k, while WE know it's not a big deal if the bike has been cared for, will turn most buyers off. It affects value.

I find that a useful starting point is to look up KBB retail vs. trade-in and split the difference. That way you can point to a source and say "look, this is a fair deal for both of us." That's never failed.

If you think your fancy paint job and Akra exhaust are going to boost the value up over KBB retail, you're deluding yourself IMHO.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 31st, 2017, 06:57 AM   #6
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

craigslist in your area they are going for $1800 - $2500. your bike I'd probably list for $2k but depends on how bad you want it gone. $1500 and I bet you sell it tomorrow.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 31st, 2017, 09:13 AM   #7
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
The optimal price point is what the market will bear and not one penny more... because it won't sell if you don't meet the market where it is.

Farkles never bring what you paid for them. At best, they're the deciding factor between sale and no sale.

"Custom paint" is often code for "The bike was trashed so I painted it." That's what people expect. So if you've got before/after, that would be good, plus be prepared to demonstrate that the bike has not been crashed (i.e. there should be no telltale signs like scratches, bent stuff, etc.).

All else being equal, I'd rather buy a bone-stock bike that I can see is clean with my own eyes, rather than a farkled bike that might have had shiny baubles added to hide the fact that the original stuff has been damaged. This is also why I never throw away stock hardware. I can either show it to the buyer, or reinstall it and sell the upgrades separately.

Gut tells me that all the upgrades would be worth a bump of a couple of hundred tops, over going market rate. Stickers? Really? Please.

To get the current market rate in your area, look at ads for similar bikes. Recognize that 14k, while WE know it's not a big deal if the bike has been cared for, will turn most buyers off. It affects value.

I find that a useful starting point is to look up KBB retail vs. trade-in and split the difference. That way you can point to a source and say "look, this is a fair deal for both of us." That's never failed.

If you think your fancy paint job and Akra exhaust are going to boost the value up over KBB retail, you're deluding yourself IMHO.
^ This.

Keep this in mind when you have someone actually show-up and look at it. Price it realistically, but be prepared to drop to the lower end when pushed - if you want to sell it reasonably quick.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2017, 11:08 AM   #8
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

Custom paint is the big minus. Agree with adouglas on this. Doesn't matter if the paint hides crash damage or not. Painting your bike instantly removes $500 or more value from it.

What sucks is for people who don't have a crash damaged bike, then pay a professional big bucks to paint it. You better plan on owning that bike forever or lose your ass on it.

Old October 31st, 2017, 11:38 AM   #9
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

I bought a 2008 250R recently. Key points:

- 3500 miles on clocks
- recent valve-clearance inspection (everything OK)
- bone stock hardware, even down to original tyres with moulded whiskers still present
- been dropped, minor cracks in fairing, bad repair
- painted, poorly with spray-can, drips in paint
- carbs gummed up from sitting for 1.5-yrs

Sale price? $700 for an excellent mechanical condition bike with questionable paint.

Old October 31st, 2017, 01:10 PM   #10
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
KBB says the DEALER RETAIL price on your bike would be $2,240 and Trade in would be $1,500.

As others have said the farkles and custom paint job really don't add anything and may even detract from the price.

I would expect a private sale price of $2,000 tops. Probably lower as we head into the cooler weather.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2017, 01:39 PM   #11
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post
The whole bike had been torn down and custom rebuilt. A lot of blood sweat and tears have gone into this bike ....
Just a follow-up note: The above means a lot to you. That makes exactly one person on the planet who gives a rip. It is not a selling point.

Harsh, but true.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old October 31st, 2017, 08:12 PM   #12
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

Name: Abu Mishary Mohd Fairus

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250 SE 2015 (sold); Honda ADV160 (current)

MOTM - Jan '17
On the contrary with adouglas's points, I appreciate a bike that have farkles installed but the owner must also provides the original parts if some were substituted.. This saves me time and money to look for upgrades. However, I do agree on the paint job.

A paint job always is a sign of hidden flaw within a bike. Most probably a low side that scratched the side fairings.

Stickers? Nope.

Old October 31st, 2017, 10:13 PM   #13
DannoXYZ

Oh common, stickers are worth an extra 10 HP at very least!!

Old October 31st, 2017, 10:49 PM   #14
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
I can appreciate farkles/upgrades if they're exactly what I want, but what are the chances that you've hit the right combination of desires for someone else? If the buyer doesn't care about it, it adds no value to the sale. In some cases, it might take away from the value (such as the paint job). Also consider that it's about to become a bike that's 2 generations old since the Ninja 400 is coming out. Honestly though, I wouldn't pay more than the average market value for all Ninja 250s.

Old November 1st, 2017, 03:42 AM   #15
MLR
ninjette.org member

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

If I was to sell my 2011 in AU I would expect to get around 1.5k AUD or 1.2k in USD speak.

It's got 22k km or 14k miles.

It's got a few shiny things, some spares and is very clean with original paint, no books though.

You will need to sell to someone who wants "that bike".

Here the old carby bikes are worth a dime a dozen, buyers are looking at the injected models more.

Or, they are are looking at older models to strip and turn into cafe racers.

Plus, here at least, with the LAMS, a new learner rider can get bikes that are 650cc or more, little 250's are not appealing to them, especially 10 year old bikes.

I would look at what a clean example is going for in your local area and place it just under, then drop the price a bit every week.

Hard park it somewhere with a for sale sign on it and you may catch a impulse buyer.

Good luck with your sale.
MLR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2017, 12:29 PM   #16
JasonJ
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 1980 Yamaha XS850G Midnight Special, 32k Miles; 2000 EX250F, <5000 Orig Miles

To me, it'd be worth about $200 over regular market price for an 08 250r. And that's only because I like the exhaust and brembo brakes. But I'd expect any and all original parts that were replaced as well.

Above and beyond that, the harsh truth is that you probably value it more than anyone else on the planet. Only an unsuspecting idiot would pay you for that value, because it's not actually real to anyone else.
JasonJ is offline   Reply With Quote