ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 31st, 2017, 09:38 AM   #1
gantt
ninjette.org sage

Name: michael

Motorcycle(s): 2019 Ninja 400, Sold 2012 Ninja 650, Sold 2009 Ninja 250r, Sold 2007 DRZ400s

Possible coast enricher failure??

Hello guys and gals. Short story.
I have a 2009 with 8,000 miles. I bought an area p system and started jetting the carbs. I have never been able to get them right. And the header glows red, So bike has been parked for two years. With gas in it. Damn. It just got pushed to the back burner and I never got around to working on it. Life got in the way, whatever.
So I was reading online and came across an article and the guy said to be sure not to get any carb cleaner on the diaphram on the coast enricher. I probably did, and without tearing it down I won't know for sure. And it needs to be torn down and cleaned anyway.
So my question is: What happens if the diaphram in the coast enricher housing is ruptured or other wise leaking?
I decided to sell my ninja 650, so I'm going to finish up this 250 and let that be my street bike. Yeah, it came down to the 250 that hasn't been ridden in years , or the 650 that has given me 26,000 miles of reliable travels. I love the 250, so I decided to keep it and sell the 650.
Thanks for any help.
gantt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2017, 01:44 PM   #2
Ceeloo Yello
ninjette.org guru

Name: C

Motorcycle(s): 250

I was always told that when a header glows red that means a lean condition but back to your question they do sell that diaphram at the dealer.
Ceeloo Yello is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2017, 02:16 PM   #3
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by gantt View Post
Hello guys and gals. Short story.
I have a 2009 with 8,000 miles. I bought an area p system and started jetting the carbs. I have never been able to get them right. And the header glows red, So bike has been parked for two years. With gas in it. Damn. It just got pushed to the back burner and I never got around to working on it. Life got in the way, whatever.
So I was reading online and came across an article and the guy said to be sure not to get any carb cleaner on the diaphram on the coast enricher. I probably did, and without tearing it down I won't know for sure. And it needs to be torn down and cleaned anyway.
So my question is: What happens if the diaphram in the coast enricher housing is ruptured or other wise leaking?
I decided to sell my ninja 650, so I'm going to finish up this 250 and let that be my street bike. Yeah, it came down to the 250 that hasn't been ridden in years , or the 650 that has given me 26,000 miles of reliable travels. I love the 250, so I decided to keep it and sell the 650.
Thanks for any help.
What's the engine speed when the headers glow red? It sounds like you have an extreme lean condition. Your piston crowns and exhaust valves may be at risk also. Carb cleaner will probably damage all the diaphragms in your carburetor. Have you modified your jet needle height/setting? What size main jets are you running? I expect that if your coaster enricher is malfunctioning your engine will backfire on deceleration.

Bill

Old October 31st, 2017, 02:20 PM   #4
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Both lean and rich conditions can result in glowing headers. Most common cause I've found is due to combustion burning after the exhaust-valves open. This was due to having extra fuel so that combustion lasts longer than normal. And having retarded ignition so that total combustion time extends into exhaust-valve opening period.

Simple enough to test diaphragm to see if it holds or does not hold vacuum applied to it.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2017, 02:59 PM   #5
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
Both lean and rich conditions can result in glowing headers.
Agreed, overly rich can result in fire in the head pipes, making them glow.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2017, 05:15 PM   #6
ducatiman

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
The enrichener diaphragm is super thick, double sided (over a fabric)... a shot of carb cleaner not likely to "hole" it (to be avoided, nonetheless)

In the extreme storage conditions you describe... you must expose and examine it. Remove any rust or particles and also suggest to polish its little brass shaft slider bushing...metal polish is ok....no stiction or hanging up, free to float in and out. Using compressed air, assure all housing "ports" are clear. Don't lose the special, tiny housing oring!

Vacuum actuated...the long spring provides preload and secures it in its "home position"....vacuum pulls it out on decel....

As you know. no less than 4 vacuum hoses connect to it.....3 top, 1 bottom each ported to tiny openings within the housing.

A strange scenario.....differing with throttle positions .....but I'd surmise an actual ripped diaphragm would produce a weird vac leak, likely pulling some additional fuel from the mixing chamber, too.

Sorry for run-on.
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2017, 08:05 PM   #7
gantt
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2019 Ninja 400, Sold 2012 Ninja 650, Sold 2009 Ninja 250r, Sold 2007 DRZ400s

Thanks guys. I don't remember what jet sizes I used last, but I did exchange emails with Kerry at Area P, and he gave me a good base line to start at.
I'll get the carbs disassembled soon and replace the rubber parts and give it a good cleaning.
Poor thing been parked for too long.
The plus side is, in the two years it's been parked my mechanical skill has gone up tremendously. Really was fumbling my way through it last time. I'll probably go already and order the enricher diaphram while I am at it.

Old November 8th, 2017, 10:50 AM   #8
NinjaBraap
NinjaBraap

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 06 Ninja 636, 2016 Yamaha R3 (Street/Track), 2019 Ninja 400 Project Racebike

Glad you found some help on that. You're definitely running super lean and as someone pointed out if your headers were glowing red the structural integrity of the metal components inside is at best questionable now. It's too bad you didn't just do the valves on the 650 along with all other maintenance and keep riding until overhaul time, wouldn't have to deal with the stress of carb finickiness (I'm assuming it was a ninja 650 and not KLR or older SV). I loved my 650 and rode it from 12k to 38k until I traded it for a Miata.
NinjaBraap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 17th, 2017, 01:53 PM   #9
gantt
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaBraap View Post
Glad you found some help on that. You're definitely running super lean and as someone pointed out if your headers were glowing red the structural integrity of the metal components inside is at best questionable now. It's too bad you didn't just do the valves on the 650 along with all other maintenance and keep riding until overhaul time, wouldn't have to deal with the stress of carb finickiness (I'm assuming it was a ninja 650 and not KLR or older SV). I loved my 650 and rode it from 12k to 38k until I traded it for a Miata.
i never did the valves on the 650, but kept riding it. 250 has not been fired up since late 2014, best i can remember

Old November 17th, 2017, 05:52 PM   #10
ducatiman

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
As an aside to the subject "decel valve failure", I had occasion to work on a Yamaha TT125 single cylinder dirtbike. Beyond other unrelated issues, the idle was unstable...all over the place.

Upon carb disassembly, I found the decel valve diaphragm locating spring was missing....the diaphragm uncontrollably "flapping in the breeze". Upon replacement...starts 1 kick, flicking the throttle met by good response and a quick return to a rock steady idle.

Always a good idea to give an eyeball while on the bench, incorporating inspection within a carb service.

Last futzed with by ducatiman; November 18th, 2017 at 06:54 AM.
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 17th, 2017, 10:19 PM   #11
maverick9611
"a legend in my own mind"

Name: maverick9611

Motorcycle(s): 2015 moto guzzi norge(brownie),2020 aprilia dorsoduro,

MOTM - Feb '18
if ya have a full system check the jetting database. this will give a reference point on where to start. buy a jet kit. good luck

Old November 21st, 2017, 04:04 AM   #12
gantt
ninjette.org sage

I bought a dyno jet kit when I bought the exhaust. I did order a set of bowl o rings for a z750 Buying them like that I was able to buy a four pack for $18. Cheaper than buying the same o ring in a single pack for a 250r for $12. So I have what I need to disassemble and clean the carbs, and start the jetting process. I think I am going to work on the 650 first. I have a few things I want to tidy up before I sell it. After it sells, I am going to rebuild the forks on the 250. Will be going with racetech springs. Not looking to get wild, but I remember the front end being soft. I'd rather redo it and adjust it for my weight while I am at it.