ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old April 16th, 2013, 08:32 PM   #1
2fidyswag
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250, Kawasaki 650

Best Headlight option?

A while back I posted about installing projectors..which I did. But I wasn't too happy with it. Definitely lit the ROAD up better and everything, and was pretty bright. However if I'm on a bike and there is oncoming traffic I'm not sure how great projectors really are because although they are bright, the light is directed at the ROAD as opposed to standard halogen which is a spread out light, going all over the place. I don't know if you catch what I'm saying but long story short, my projectors crapped out on me, and the angel rings popped off, a hid bulb burnt out, plus all the excess wires were pissing me off. So here's my actual question. Many people say HID conversion kids in a standard housing, blind traffic. I feel like it isn't really an issue because I'm on a bike, which means I am muchhh lower than many cars, trucks etc out there which will alleviate the blinding affect. I wanna get either 6k or 8k in a standard housing headlight and point them a bit downward as to not completely blind people. Can anyone shed some light on the issue? Sorry for the novel.

But again, even if I piss someone off a bit with my lights, isn't that beter than not being seen?
2fidyswag is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2013, 08:39 PM   #2
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fidyswag View Post
AI feel like it isn't really an issue because I'm on a bike, which means I am muchhh lower than many cars, trucks etc out there which will alleviate the blinding affect. I wanna get either 6k or 8k in a standard housing headlight and point them a bit downward as to not completely blind people. Can anyone shed some light on the issue? Sorry for the novel.

But again, even if I piss someone off a bit with my lights, isn't that beter than not being seen?
Questionable logic, you're better off putting regular bulbs in and not HIDs.

Old April 16th, 2013, 08:50 PM   #3
2fidyswag
ninjette.org member

so you think the standard halogen will be brighter than a 6k /8k hi in reflective housing?

Old April 16th, 2013, 08:57 PM   #4
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

I would focus on actual usable lighting from halogens in the standard housing rather than relying on HID bulbs that scatter light everywhere.

Old April 16th, 2013, 09:23 PM   #5
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

I noticed all the problems with the hids that you mentioned earlier. I recently installed sylvania silverstar bulbs. Best 40 buck solution. I would say you get 70% of what hids offer but without the mess. They flood really well. I ride canyons at night and they were exactly what I was looking for.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2013, 09:36 PM   #6
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
A while back I posted about installing projectors..which I did. But I wasn't too happy with it. Definitely lit the ROAD up better and everything, and was pretty bright. However if I'm on a bike and there is oncoming traffic I'm not sure how great projectors really are because although they are bright, the light is directed at the ROAD as opposed to standard halogen which is a spread out light, going all over the place. I don't know if you catch what I'm saying but long story short, my projectors crapped out on me, and the angel rings popped off, a hid bulb burnt out, plus all the excess wires were pissing me off.
What brand projectors? What bulb type?

Different projector/bulb styles have different light patterns. For example, H1 HID bulbs in H1 projectors have a wider light with more foreground light (that's the road) D2S HID bulbs in D2S projectors are much more even (read, not blinding foreground) and while not as wide, have a better high beam output.

You can also make a foreground limiter, which is basically a piece of metal that limits how much light gets put directly in front of you so you can see further more easily.

Also, how did you have them aimed?

That said, I ran a Sylvania SilverStar bulb for a long time. If it's properly aimed (just on the hairy edge of being too high), the light output is very usable and very well aimed, IMHO. Only reason I went to HID projector is because I had to cut some power usage for my EFI setup. I had no issues at all with my Halogen lights. The trick is aiming them properly.

Don't use HID's in a halogen reflector.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2013, 09:57 PM   #7
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
....Many people say HID conversion kids in a standard housing, blind traffic. I feel like it isn't really an issue because I'm on a bike, which means I am muchhh lower than many cars, trucks etc out there which will alleviate the blinding affect.
What do you ride? A pit bike or tricycle? The headlight on my bike is taller than the hood on both of my cars and about even with some small SUVs. Don't forget that even a little light can reflect off the hood of a car onto the glass. If the glass is wet the spread of light is even worse.

Ever read Disadvantages of HID by Daniel Stern?
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2013, 10:45 PM   #8
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

Slightly off topic but blue posted either on ninjette or ninja250 forum about just bulb replacement options. Which by the way was the most helpful and extensive list on the topic that my googlefu could muster.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2013, 11:36 PM   #9
2fidyswag
ninjette.org member

Ok, so I won't be using HID bulbs in reflective housing. But I guess my point is, the ONLY reason I put up with all this **** I have to deal with these projectors is because they are brighter or at least I hope so. I just mean typically the 6000k HIDs IN projecctors are going to be more brighter ( more noticeable to traffic ) than a standard halogen, correct? Because if the halogen is brighter and more noticeable then I'll just go back to stock and not deal with this crap. I'm concerned about safety over looks.

Old April 17th, 2013, 01:00 AM   #10
ninja250r81
ninjette.org guru

Name: scott

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250r se

google Lumens and Kelvin

4200 has more lumens than 6000

***taken from another website***

Standard OEM halogen 55W 9006(HB4) = 1100lm (lumens)

4300k D2S Philips = 3200lm (lumens)
4300k D2R Philips = 2800lm (lumens)
4800k D4S/R (brand) = 3800 (lumens) ** brightest in the market
5800k D4S/R (brand) = 3300 (lumens)
7000k D2S other = 1790lm (lumens) *(other bulb brand)
7000k D2R other = 1390lm (lumens) *(other bulb brand)
8000k D2S other = 1180lm (lumens) *(other bulb brand)
8000k D2R other = 780lm (lumens) *(other bulb brand)

***taken from another website***
ninja250r81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2013, 01:13 AM   #11
2fidyswag
ninjette.org member

thanks, that makes sense now

Old April 17th, 2013, 09:01 PM   #12
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

Name: Asspyre

Motorcycle(s): 08 250RRrrrr

Quote:
Ok, so I won't be using HID bulbs in reflective housing. But I guess my point is, the ONLY reason I put up with all this **** I have to deal with these projectors is because they are brighter or at least I hope so. I just mean typically the 6000k HIDs IN projecctors are going to be more brighter ( more noticeable to traffic ) than a standard halogen, correct? Because if the halogen is brighter and more noticeable then I'll just go back to stock and not deal with this crap. I'm concerned about safety over looks.
what kind of projectors? what quality of bulb? Some newer projectors have "Squirrel reflector" that reflect a tiny amount of light above the cut off. Also the higher the temp of the light (ie. 6400k) the less out put there is.

As DaBlue1 said, read Daniel Stern website on hid lighting.

I've had good success with the original halogen headlight and 2 3000k hid projector fog lights. good visibility at night and the triangle shape it makes at night is pretty noticeable.

Asspire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2013, 03:33 AM   #13
ninja250r81
ninjette.org guru

Name: scott

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250r se

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asspire View Post
what kind of projectors? what quality of bulb? Some newer projectors have "Squirrel reflector" that reflect a tiny amount of light above the cut off. Also the higher the temp of the light (ie. 6400k) the less out put there is.

As DaBlue1 said, read Daniel Stern website on hid lighting.

I've had good success with the original halogen headlight and 2 3000k hid projector fog lights. good visibility at night and the triangle shape it makes at night is pretty noticeable.

Any pic's or vid's
ninja250r81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2013, 04:17 AM   #14
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I put GE silver star headlight bulbs in all my motorcycles. I don't like all the Wires and stuff involved with projectors. The Silver Star bulbs just drop in.

Old April 18th, 2013, 04:49 AM   #15
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

I use Phillips xtreme vision 100% bulbs, a BIG difference in light output.

With the HID's, if you're projecting through the polycarbonate it's going to throw a small percentage of light off as it acts as a lens, and not a very good ones.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2013, 07:42 AM   #16
MistahT
ninjette.org member

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2012 FZ6R, 2006 Ninja 250, 1977 Suzuki GS550

One of my 250s now has a 7 inch round headlight from a CBR900 and it seems to be very good so far
MistahT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2013, 09:02 AM   #17
fry1024
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 650R & 2007 Buell Blast

The scenario (skip to the point below if you don't care to read):
I had an experience w/ an overly bright headlight. The scenario was we were both coming down hill (opposite directions) into a valley where I was going to make a left turn at the base. I noticed his light right away b/c it was way out of control and this was around 6:30pm in Sept if that helps give you any idea how intense this light was. When we both reached the valley floor I couldn't see the bike anymore. It was just a bright burst of light! Like a camera flash that got stuck mid way through firing and got stuck. I couldn't judge his speed or is distance from me and I nearly at my turn. Being a fellow rider I knew what could happen if I turned in his path so I stopped and waited for him to pass. And i waited, and waited. I could have made the turn 8 times in how long it took the biker to pass by the road I wanted to turn on to.

The Point:
Ok, this is way longer than i thought; the point is an out-of-control light can hide you as much as it can get someones attention.
fry1024 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 18th, 2013, 11:24 AM   #18
2fidyswag
ninjette.org member

thanks for the input guys. I realize there's halogens out there that can be very effective, however I already messed with wires and it was a huge pain in the ass but it's done. But won't my two projecotrs in my headlight with 6000k HIDS have more of an affect than halogens. I know that 6000k hids produce more lumens than a halogen bulb. Looking back I could have thrown some silvertars in and coulda been fine probably, but I like the look of projectors plus I thought they'd be tad bit safer.

Old April 23rd, 2013, 05:43 PM   #19
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250r81 View Post
Any pic's or vid's

best i got so far (gopro), I'll try to get some night pic/video soon

Quote:
thanks for the input guys. I realize there's halogens out there that can be very effective, however I already messed with wires and it was a huge pain in the ass but it's done. But won't my two projecotrs in my headlight with 6000k HIDS have more of an affect than halogens. I know that 6000k hids produce more lumens than a halogen bulb. Looking back I could have thrown some silvertars in and coulda been fine probably, but I like the look of projectors plus I thought they'd be tad bit safer.
Some projectors have a sharp cutoff and don't reflect much light above the beam, most cars with projector either have some form of additional light ( think halo rings of bmw, or marker lights on VW's and audi's). If you want to be more easily seen, then I prefer to have more lights on the front (ie. my fog light set up). My next mod I do will be DRL turn signals on the front.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GOPR0429[21-18-00].jpg (49.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg GOPR0429[21-20-30].jpg (85.5 KB, 6 views)

Old May 5th, 2013, 04:56 PM   #20
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
I put GE silver star headlight bulbs in all my motorcycles. I don't like all the Wires and stuff involved with projectors. The Silver Star bulbs just drop in.
I used these for awhile, but was unhappy with their short life. The first one didn't even last a year.

I now use the Phillips Motovisions. I like them a lot, and their designed for motorcycle vibrations.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2013, 04:57 PM   #21
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
If you want to be more easily seen, then I prefer to have more lights on the front (ie. my fog light set up). My next mod I do will be DRL turn signals on the front.
Tell me more about your fog lights. I'm in the market.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2013, 06:05 PM   #22
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

They're Blazer fog lights from The Retrofit Source. With Morimoto 35w 3000k hid bulbs. I pulled the stock reflectors off the front forks and bolted them in with one bolt and a couple of lock nuts and crush washers that allow me to adjust them. They're pretty bright at night, the stock headlight bulb needs upgrading to be useful now.

Old May 5th, 2013, 08:06 PM   #23
RedPepper64
Kawi Girl

Name: Heather

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Green SE, '13 Ninja 636 Pearl White

Quote:
best i got so far (gopro), I'll try to get some night pic/video soon
Not bad at all. I have never considered the concept of fog lights on bikes. I have a hard time riding in the dark because of the halo effect from cars driving past, makes me feel blinded. I wonder what impact adding the fog lights would be to that. Looks great!

Old May 5th, 2013, 10:56 PM   #24
kirk595x
ninjette.org guru

Name: Robbie

Motorcycle(s): 03' Ninja 250ex

I had 55w fog lights on my Honda Elite Scooter and they worked great.

I installed one of those hyper blue bulbs (6000k I think) on my pre-gen and I hav'nt given HID a second thought since. Bulb was $7 on Ebay. It has that icy blue look to it but most importantly it puts out alot more light that adds clarity.
kirk595x is offline   Reply With Quote