ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 19th, 2013, 02:31 PM   #1
daphnelcc
ninjette.org newbie

Name: daphne

Motorcycle(s): 2006 ninja 250r

Clutch and Engine Idle Issues

hi all!
i've been trying to revamp a ninja i just got. the clutch is a bit tough to switch gears when the engine is hot though. is that normal? oftentimes, when i'm at a stop light, i can't get it into neutral after it's hot.

then also... last night, my friend and i changed out the oil to a synthetic (rotella t6 as many have commented on using), changed out the front brakes. then before that, we changed out the spark plugs, i added seafoam to the tank to clean it out, and lubed the clutch cable.

however, after changing the oil, the idle has gotten weird! before, it would idle fine and steady at about 1300-1400 (after we changed the sparks). now, it idles okay in neutral when i first start it up but it gets much lower and sometimes stalls when i'm in gear.

anyone have any ideas? any help is appreciated. thanks!

2006 250r with about 11400 miles. previous owner took a few spills for sure.
daphnelcc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2013, 02:44 PM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Sounds like the clutch is out of adjustment and dragging to me.

Oil change and other maintenance you did shouldn't have had any affect on the idle speed.

Check the air filter also if you haven't recently.

The clutch dragging would explain both of your problems.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 19th, 2013, 04:11 PM   #3
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

Did you put enough oil in? How did you measure your oil level?

It should be between the lines when both wheels are on level ground and the bike is straight up and down.
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2013, 05:26 PM   #4
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

i had the same problem once, turns out too much seafoam. made the fuel a lil to rich, new gas, problem went away.

Old August 19th, 2013, 05:53 PM   #5
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7oxSin View Post
i had the same problem once, turns out too much seafoam. made the fuel a lil to rich, new gas, problem went away.
Right. 1 oz per gal of fuel system cleaner is enough. More can cause running problems.

Personally, I like using Techron Concentrate instead of Seafoam. Techron doesn't contain Alcohol, Seafoam does.

Old August 20th, 2013, 08:37 AM   #6
daphnelcc
ninjette.org newbie

lychee - yep, we followed instructions from the wiki. it's a tiny bit high but would that matter? we tried for the upper limit but went a tiny bit too far.

jkv45 - how would i adjust the clutch dragging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Right. 1 oz per gal of fuel system cleaner is enough. More can cause running problems.

Personally, I like using Techron Concentrate instead of Seafoam. Techron doesn't contain Alcohol, Seafoam does.
^hmm. maybe that will help? i am getting new gas soon since my tank is low anyway (hopefully... school's starting!). the seafoam instructions said more to clean the tank so i went more =/

the clutch shifting problem has always occurred though, so i don't think it would have anything to do with the oil or seafoam?

btw, thanks everyone!!

Old August 20th, 2013, 09:24 AM   #7
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by daphnelcc View Post
jkv45 - how would i adjust the clutch dragging?

^hmm. maybe that will help? i am getting new gas soon since my tank is low anyway (hopefully... school's starting!). the seafoam instructions said more to clean the tank so i went more =/
Clutch cable adjustment procedure from ninja250.org tech section - http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Adjusting_the_clutch_cable

Use 87 octane without Ethanol any time you can. I personally will go above 87 only if I need to to get Ethanol-free. Ethanol in gas is a terrible idea IMO.

You might want to completely drain the tank then add the new gas with Techron, just to confirm that the gas isn't an issue before moving on. I'd also drain the float bowls at the same time.

Old August 21st, 2013, 05:25 AM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
..........the clutch is a bit tough to switch gears when the engine is hot though. is that normal? oftentimes, when i'm at a stop light, i can't get it into neutral after it's hot.

.............after changing the oil, the idle has gotten weird! before, it would idle fine and steady at about 1300-1400 (after we changed the sparks). now, it idles okay in neutral when i first start it up but it gets much lower and sometimes stalls when i'm in gear.
2006 250r with about 11400 miles. previous owner took a few spills for sure.
It seems to me that previous owner abused the clutch and the steel plates are warped due to over-heat.
If so, there is too much drag with the clutch fully applied, stalling the engine when in gear and applied brakes.
That also heats up the oil too much during clutch operation (less than full discs' separation).

Idle may be lower now due to a change in the gap of the spark plugs (respect to the old ones).
Just adjust it with hot engine.

This is just a hypothesis, I can be wrong.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2013, 09:54 AM   #9
daphnelcc
ninjette.org newbie

thanks jkv! sorry, i didn't realize the clutch dragging was just the cable adjustment. we did that though... didn't seem to help. i'll try the new tank of gas hopefully this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
It seems to me that previous owner abused the clutch and the steel plates are warped due to over-heat.
If so, there is too much drag with the clutch fully applied, stalling the engine when in gear and applied brakes.
That also heats up the oil too much during clutch operation (less than full discs' separation).

Idle may be lower now due to a change in the gap of the spark plugs (respect to the old ones).
Just adjust it with hot engine.

This is just a hypothesis, I can be wrong.
thanks motofool! should i change out the plates, in this case? or just adjust the idle in regards to a hot engine? except, when in neutral, it always runs higher than in gear (hot or cold)....

Old August 22nd, 2013, 10:31 AM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

I would inspect the whole clutch and compare each part to specs if the condition persists.

You will need a new gasket for the clutch cover, and whatever part you find damaged or worn.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_...ping_clutch%3F

Sometimes, dents develop on the surface of the housing over which the tabs of the fiber discs slide, preventing them from separating during clutch-in, producing the similar effect of excessive drag.

Old August 23rd, 2013, 10:39 AM   #11
daphnelcc
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
I would inspect the whole clutch and compare each part to specs if the condition persists.

You will need a new gasket for the clutch cover, and whatever part you find damaged or worn.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_...ping_clutch%3F

Sometimes, dents develop on the surface of the housing over which the tabs of the fiber discs slide, preventing them from separating during clutch-in, producing the similar effect of excessive drag.
ahh, the previous owner did bang it up fairly well. hopefully it's something simple. thanks motofool! gonna get a gasket and open 'er up to see what's going on. will try to update everyone....

Old August 23rd, 2013, 12:48 PM   #12
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
....... thanks motofool! gonna get a gasket and open 'er up to see what's going on. will try to update everyone....
You are welcome, Daphne