ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old August 16th, 2014, 07:41 AM   #1
Proteus
Daily Ninjette Rider

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2015 Vespa GTS 300 IE Super, 1989 Honda Elite 80 (SOLD)

Highway Riding Questions

I've been riding on the highway for a few weeks now. I'm constantly trying to maintain good body position and stay light on the bars.

I'm comfortable going up to 80mph in straights but find that I'm decelerating to around 60 in curves. These are very gentle curves that don't really require slowing down at all, but I get nervous about leaning more at high speeds.
How long did it take you to get comfortable with trusting the bike and tires to lean it more at high speeds?

I'm also wondering about tucking and visibility. I feel a lot more stable if I tuck, but I only do it when there aren't cars around me as I'm worried about people not seeing me without my bright helmet being as high as possible. Is this warranted? Will people not see you if you're tucked?

I'm thinking about getting the ZG sport touring screen, but I've read that the larger screen will block wind but might negatively affect stability a bit as it acts like a sail. I also can't tell if it only makes a difference when tucked or if it's better when sitting upright as well.

Check out my music at http://www.proteusmusic.com
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2014, 07:58 AM   #2
Christofini
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
I've been riding on the highway for a few weeks now. I'm constantly trying to maintain good body position and stay light on the bars.

I'm comfortable going up to 80mph in straights but find that I'm decelerating to around 60 in curves. These are very gentle curves that don't really require slowing down at all, but I get nervous about leaning more at high speeds.
How long did it take you to get comfortable with trusting the bike and tires to lean it more at high speeds?

I'm also wondering about tucking and visibility. I feel a lot more stable if I tuck, but I only do it when there aren't cars around me as I'm worried about people not seeing me without my bright helmet being as high as possible. Is this warranted? Will people not see you if you're tucked?

I'm thinking about getting the ZG sport touring screen, but I've read that the larger screen will block wind but might negatively affect stability a bit as it acts like a sail. I also can't tell if it only makes a difference when tucked or if it's better when sitting upright as well.

I ride about 40 miles to work and back every day, 90% highway at speeds of 95-110mph. I've got a natural deathgrip, if I'm holding anything, my knuckles go white after a while.

Because of this I've only started letting weight off the bars into my third year of riding. It really has given me way more confidence (I would've likely avoided a crash because of it). I'll happily lean my bike way over going any speed, if road conditions permit. It's incredible what these little bikes can do in corners.

Get a good pair of tires (stocks aren't too confidence-inspiring) - I have the BT 23s and can't complain. Chances are you're nowhere near using the maximum amount of grip available.

About the visibility: I've had no issues with a bright green bike and white leathers in a full tuck. Drivers here are generally more aware down here as there's a few dozen accidents per week on the main road.

I think a taller windscreen would actually increase stability, unless you're tucked. You'd need quite a bit of sidewinds to make the bike less stable. In my experience, the sport-touring screen aims the wind to the top of my helmet, instead of my chest, so I can cruise around upright without wind buffering. It's made me a lot more stable on busy roads or windy days.
Christofini is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2014, 08:42 AM   #3
Proteus
Daily Ninjette Rider

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2015 Vespa GTS 300 IE Super, 1989 Honda Elite 80 (SOLD)

Thanks. What size BT-23 do you have on the rear? It looks like the smallest rear is a 150?

I've been thinking about sport demons but they're probably not in the budget until next season.

Old August 16th, 2014, 08:57 AM   #4
M42
Wrench wench

Name: The Stigette

Motorcycle(s): TWO HUNDRED FORTY EIGHT CUBIC CENTIMETERS (R.I.P.), SIX HUNDRED FORTY FIVE CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Just decelerate less and less every day you go around the curve, like in 2mph increments. 60 one day, 62 the next, 64 the next, etc. I remember when I started riding I had the same problem. The bike is a lot more capable than you are, it's not gonna just fall over the moment you lean a little. Especially at higher speeds. You just gotta overcome that uncomfortable "omg im gonna craaaash" feeling. My problem was target fixating on the outside of the gentle curve and drifting too much in my lane, and it made for a really awful experience till I forced myself to look further down the highway. It helps a ton and feels far more natural to lean when you're looking ahead.

Are we talking like full race tuck? Or just a little bit? Cops really dislike the former, don't do it. Plus you won't be able to see anything in the mirrors when you change your BP that much. If you're saying you're worried they won't see your helmet, you're probably tucking a bit far for the highway.
M42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2014, 09:12 AM   #5
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Disagree about the tuck. Cops pay no attention... only to your speed or sudden moves. I ride in a tuck all the time.

Don't worry about not being seen. Think of it this way: How big an object are you? The size of a large trash barrel, right? Actually, bigger... even tucked, you're something like four feet high.

Do you seriously think a driver would not be able to see a big trash barrel on the road?

The extra few inches aren't going to make a difference.

Also, what really matters is what's ahead, not what's behind. Consider that cars coming up from the rear are unlikely to be moving more that 20-30 mph faster than you are. If the closing speeds are higher than that, the driver is probably highly focused.

Re getting comfortable... yeah, it comes with time. Remember that you go where you look. Look up. Look ahead. If you look down your sense of speed is much higher. Cast your gaze 5 seconds ahead (a couple of hundred yards at highway speed) and things feel a lot more calm.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2014, 09:18 AM   #6
Proteus
Daily Ninjette Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by M42 View Post
Just decelerate less and less every day you go around the curve, like in 2mph increments. 60 one day, 62 the next, 64 the next, etc. I remember when I started riding I had the same problem. The bike is a lot more capable than you are, it's not gonna just fall over the moment you lean a little. Especially at higher speeds. You just gotta overcome that uncomfortable "omg im gonna craaaash" feeling. My problem was target fixating on the outside of the gentle curve and drifting too much in my lane, and it made for a really awful experience till I forced myself to look further down the highway. It helps a ton and feels far more natural to lean when you're looking ahead.
That sounds like a good way to do it. I do tend to drift to the outside as well. I know that it's just a matter of time and experience, just wondering how long it usually takes to get over that "omg I'm going to low side at 80mph" feeling when leaning at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M42 View Post

Are we talking like full race tuck? Or just a little bit? Cops really dislike the former, don't do it. Plus you won't be able to see anything in the mirrors when you change your BP that much. If you're saying you're worried they won't see your helmet, you're probably tucking a bit far for the highway.
Just a slight tuck, enough to get some wind benefit but nowhere near race position.

Old August 16th, 2014, 09:21 AM   #7
M42
Wrench wench

Name: The Stigette

Motorcycle(s): TWO HUNDRED FORTY EIGHT CUBIC CENTIMETERS (R.I.P.), SIX HUNDRED FORTY FIVE CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Oh yeah, you're fine then. Keep an eye on cars anyway, don't trust them to see you even if you're sitting bolt upright.
M42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2014, 09:25 AM   #8
Proteus
Daily Ninjette Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Don't worry about not being seen. Think of it this way: How big an object are you? The size of a large trash barrel, right? Actually, bigger... even tucked, you're something like four feet high.

Do you seriously think a driver would not be able to see a big trash barrel on the road?

The extra few inches aren't going to make a difference.

Also, what really matters is what's ahead, not what's behind. Consider that cars coming up from the rear are unlikely to be moving more that 20-30 mph faster than you are. If the closing speeds are higher than that, the driver is probably highly focused.
It's not drivers behind me I'm worried about, it's the ones next to me. Traffic is pretty dense here (we were recently honored with the #1 and 2 most congested highway spots in the country) and cars tend to change lanes often, erratically, and without signaling.

Old August 16th, 2014, 09:31 AM   #9
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Good body position is whatever position makes your relation with bike fluent and relaxed.
The hand grips are actually hand resting points.
The position of your lower body dictates the posture of your upper body.
Keep the balls of the feet on the pegs, legs closed and knees putting moderate pressure on the tank.
Adjust your butt position on the seat until you find the most comfortable one.

Quote:
You need to understand what forces and how much of those your two contact patches are feeling:

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=100964

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=119958

Quote:
Drivers will not see you, as they don't watch.
Your visual skills and what you do are much more important:

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=110975

Quote:
My experience is that the naked Ninjette is the best for highway speeds.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2014, 12:35 PM   #10
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Traffic is pretty dense here (we were recently honored with the #1 and 2 most congested highway spots in the country) and cars tend to change lanes often, erratically, and without signaling.
#1 and #2? That's crazy!

Chicago traffic freaks me out! Glad to hear that you have a brighter colored helmet.

Rode the FZ6 I had a few years ago to Schaumburg and that wasn't so bad. It was pretty congested but moving very quickly. The thing that freaked me out then was how fast everyone drives in general. Felt like a target staying with traffic, because I was speeding so much. Didn't get pulled over though.

Seems like you are very conscious of what is going on and on alert. So much better than being blissfully unaware. Be careful out there.
c-dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2014, 05:48 PM   #11
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:

That's not ideal, you want to be rolling on through the curve, that will make the bike feel more stable.

Idiots won't see ya regardless, how many are on the phone/eating/drinking/checking facebook/ doing their makeup/ reading the paper ect... while driving. Being tucked/upright/ stark bollock naked except for a fluorescent pink mankini won't make a blind bit of difference to what they see.

Ride as if you're invisible & those who can see you want to kill you.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 18th, 2014, 05:02 AM   #12
Proteus
Daily Ninjette Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-dog View Post
#1 and #2? That's crazy!

Chicago traffic freaks me out! Glad to hear that you have a brighter colored helmet.

Rode the FZ6 I had a few years ago to Schaumburg and that wasn't so bad. It was pretty congested but moving very quickly. The thing that freaked me out then was how fast everyone drives in general. Felt like a target staying with traffic, because I was speeding so much. Didn't get pulled over though.

Seems like you are very conscious of what is going on and on alert. So much better than being blissfully unaware. Be careful out there.
Yeah, the study came out a few years ago. The #1 worst spot is the Circle where 290, 90/94, and Congress parkway all come together. Everything south of me goes through this interchange.

The #2 worst spot is the Junction where 90 and 94 come together. Everything north of me goes through here!

Old August 18th, 2014, 05:03 AM   #13
Proteus
Daily Ninjette Rider

@Motofool thanks for the links. That was some good reading and helped me feel more confident (I'm a math and science nerd so it actually helps).

I went on a long ride on Saturday and did some pretty serious leaning on some twisty roads, that helped me feel a lot more confident on the highway this morning. Just have to keep at it.