ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 30th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #1
JCCJMM_
ninjette.org member

Name: John-Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

What's your opinion of Ride2Die.com??

***I guess I should throw out a disclaimer to those who have not seen it......the site is pretty graphic.***

A few years ago, before I owned a motorcycle, I was directed to ride2die.com to see some grisly images. I think that a buddy of mine was hinting at the risks involved with riding.

Well, to be honest, the more I looked and read.....the more I did not want to ride. It seemed to show the effects of accidents with no gear.....and it seemed to show the unfortunate demise of some that wore full gear. After several minutes of looking I was just depressed and sickened.

The site went down for a while but is back up and the domain is for sale. It still has the same information as a few years back and it still makes me second guess why I take the risk of riding. Especially with a wife and kids.

But then I get out and ride......and let me tell you....what therapy it is!!

My concern is that ride2die.com may instill fear into would-be enthusiasts and current enthusiasts. It could keep people from taking the additional risk of riding.... at the expense of a possible love for riding.

I understand the resounding cry of "all gear all the time" and "ride safe". I also understand the importance of educating the masses on rider safety through stories and images......but ride2die seems to be a little over-the-top for me. A little too "rotten.com".

I also know that alot of what you see is due to rider error .... stupidity ..... maybe even drug or alcohol induced. But it still hits home as the old "that could happen to me" scenario.....almost too sobering. Maybe I am just a wuss.

What do you guys/gals think?

BTW: There is a picture of a classic 250 near the middle of the page....he/she hit a truck.
JCCJMM_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2009, 10:23 PM   #2
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

I was thinking the same thing when I looked at it a week ago. It made me kinda of sick and nervous about the dangers of riding. It really really bugged me until I hoped back on the bike a few days later. Not so much that I forgot about what I saw( I will probably never go back to that site), but that it is a risk im willing to take every time I hope on my bike. There is a lot of risk in just about anything that is fun in this world, and im not going to let it get in my way of living life how I want to.
Cedilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2009, 10:45 PM   #3
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedilla View Post
There is a lot of risk in just about anything that is fun in this world, and im not going to let it get in my way of living life how I want to.
+1! I've never been to the site nor do I ever plan to. I don't see the point. I've seen grim pictures and I know the risks associated with riding - but it's also that knowledge and fear that keeps you on your toes. But I'm not about to force myself to look at dismembered/disfigured pictures... it's like watching a "when sharks attack" before you go swimming...
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2009, 10:46 PM   #4
komohana
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

my ridetodie initiation came via the usaf while stationed at eddies airplane patch. i cant recall the exact nature of this particular classroom activity, but they showed us grizzly accident pictures and film clips of accidents, the majority of them were cycle-related. this was before i ever rode, but had already knew i wanted to own a bike...a sportbike, sometime in the future. so i suppose it serves a purpose (the web site), but i've already seen 'faces of death' and the sequel, and thats enuff for me.

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2009, 10:48 PM   #5
komohana

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemy View Post
it's like watching a "when sharks attack" before you go swimming...
or seeing Jaws for the first time living in the middle of the dang ocean HELLO!

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2009, 11:08 PM   #6
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Purspeed

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Those websites are excellent reference sources. Accepting the realities of riding is an important part of emotional growth. Mitigating risk via good gear, good riding and smart choices will keep you safe.

"This is my Ninja. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." ~ Purspeed (ca. Nov, 2008)
Purspeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2009, 11:16 PM   #7
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

I can say I saw it. I will never look at that site again...

What I took away from it was = Learn from the mistakes of others, you cannot make them all yourself.

Old June 30th, 2009, 11:31 PM   #8
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

I'm afraid to go.. I've seen the nastiest in person and online... nothxkbai
Nickds7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2009, 11:35 PM   #9
AnarchoMoltov
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Suzuki GSX-R750

I just saw that web site yesterday, and it scared the **** outta me....Seeing the torsos and dismembered body parts is extremely disturbing....
AnarchoMoltov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2009, 12:52 AM   #10
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

I've been to it before and am not scared to see it again. In fact returning to that site helped lead me to a petition we should all get involved in. Seems as though in Europe the tractor trailers are required by law to use underruns. It's just a simple metal guard on the sides of trailers to prevent smaller lighter vehicles from going underneath. It says they're not new to the US, however I've never seen them and think it's dumb to not have something so simple on our trucks here.

Underruns in the states.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2009, 05:45 AM   #11
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

I saw that web site a while ago. If anything it only reminds me of being more careful.

Old July 1st, 2009, 05:55 AM   #12
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purspeed View Post
Those websites are excellent reference sources. Accepting the realities of riding is an important part of emotional growth. Mitigating risk via good gear, good riding and smart choices will keep you safe.
True, but they're alarmist in their presentation, and thereby don't have all of the creadibility that they could garner. They cite statistics, but not the age of those statistics so they can be verified. They show graphic pictures, but very little context. Many are easily misinterperted if that is your wish.

It's like anything else, if you're already aware of and actually CARE about the dangers, you act accordingly all the time. If you don't, it's just another "Scare Crow" in the field.

Old July 1st, 2009, 06:30 AM   #13
JCCJMM_
ninjette.org member

Name: John-Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

I, for one, hope that the site does not sell and shuts down again.

I know the site gets alot of hits and I feel that it has a very negative underlying effect.
It is one thing to educate.......and another to terrify.
JCCJMM_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2009, 06:39 AM   #14
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
ride2die.com, I thought it was a dietary aid. Watch it before dinner and eat less.

It didn't work for me, I watched and then had pizza.

Old July 1st, 2009, 07:03 AM   #15
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemy View Post
+1! I've never been to the site nor do I ever plan to. I don't see the point. I've seen grim pictures and I know the risks associated with riding - but it's also that knowledge and fear that keeps you on your toes. But I'm not about to force myself to look at dismembered/disfigured pictures... it's like watching a "when sharks attack" before you go swimming...

I don't need a site like that to remind me of the dangers. I make it a point to ride defensively and don't take it for granted that I have the right of way.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2009, 08:10 AM   #16
Broom
Track Junkie

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r Track Bike, DR350 commuter, KDX220 woods bike

thats why i don't ride on the street. i rode everyday for 3 years without an accident.... everyday i didn't get hit by a car i felt like i was that much closer to the day i got creamed... and the longer it took the worse it would be. that thought got louder and louder in my head until i eventually decided to sell my street bike and do track only.

Old July 1st, 2009, 02:36 PM   #17
kazam58
Sarcasm: Yea that'll work

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

Those who ride know what the dangers are. Being reminded of them just keeps us in check, which means ride smart and if you wanna race, go to the track.
Personally, I'm juts as likely to die from ski racing, going 70mph with trees lining the trail and absolutely no gear.

Old July 1st, 2009, 02:39 PM   #18
Xuracing
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Cbr 600RR Cbr600F4i

read the whole thing before i bought my first sport bike back in 06
Xuracing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2009, 06:58 PM   #19
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I checked out the site and surmised that it is a crock. I saw far more gore as a combat medic in Vietnam, Now, here is my opinion after 50 years of riding. Yes, there are inherent dangers in riding a motorcycle. Yes, today`s motorcycles stop faster, accelerate faster, and are able to manoever faster than earlier motorcycles. With proper training (MSF Courses), Track Time, and lots of miles, your chances of meeting a gory catastrophic end are greatly minimized. The best advice I can give you (Unsolicited of course) is to stay alert, always be cognizant that you are invisible, and ALWAYS expect the unexpected. Always "GEAR UP", use your head, and avoid taking chances (Like running aYellow light) Don`t let the scare mongers get to you. Enjoy the ride, and Ride Safe. Always remember that motorcycles are fun. When they are no longer fun---sell the bike. (End of my spitball of wisdom)
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2009, 07:04 PM   #20
Strider
Back on the Black!

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (Black)

<--- NOT gonna go look .... too chickensh*t I guess
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2009, 07:26 PM   #21
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Petition for underruns in the states.

Just wanted to put that petition out there again.

Also, all those statistics about how the accident rate has climbed over the years always ignores the fact of just how many more riders there are. With each year more people get on bikes. With more people on bikes there's GOING to be more chances for accidents, it's just a matter of numbers.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:06 PM   #22
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

I....I just.....well...

I just can't get this image out of my....my.....

out of my head....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1accident150.jpg (26.2 KB, 4 views)

"This is my Ninja. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." ~ Purspeed (ca. Nov, 2008)

Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:37 PM   #23
Ohh Snap
420 President

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja grass color

wow that just...
Ohh Snap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:39 PM   #24
mike_sema
ninjette.org guru

Name: mike

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

Well I just check the site out and it is a constant reminder to be as safe as you can, save the money to buy proper gear and use it and just b/c your bike can do 180mph doesn't mean do that speed every ware you go leave it to the track. I lost a good friend wail in the army to an moto accident he actually lost his head wail doing an estimated 125mph with know helmet on at night on a road that he had never been on wail drunk just sad. but if you ride as smart as you can as safely as you can, you cant let this stuff get to you you can just as easily die wail walking down the street or driving to grammas house

Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:43 PM   #25
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Maybe this picture is from the "Die2Ride" not "Ride2Die" website?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1accident150.jpg (26.2 KB, 2 views)

Old July 2nd, 2009, 10:25 PM   #26
muffinman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Arthur

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R (sold), '05 ZX6R / 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post

Also, all those statistics about how the accident rate has climbed over the years always ignores the fact of just how many more riders there are. With each year more people get on bikes. With more people on bikes there's GOING to be more chances for accidents, it's just a matter of numbers.
Signed.
muffinman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2009, 10:35 PM   #27
abyssdncr
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): '07 VStrom 1000 - '06 TW200

I actually found the website rather enlightening. It definitely makes me rethink my choices in riding attire - choices that I might have otherwise overlooked.

The "death" part of the shock'n awe syndrome is just reality. It could happen just as easily in a cage at three times the speed limit or no seatbelt vs. a telephone pole or headon collision. Doesn't mean that the bad juju is on me for having viewed the images, it just makes me more (graphically) informed of the consequences of bad decisions.

I'm not going to congratulate them for their compilation of imagery, but I'm not going to knock it either...
abyssdncr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2009, 05:57 AM   #28
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

the only picture that really bothered me was the one with the arai helmet, what appears to be a full leather gear setup... and a bunch of ripped apart body parts in the mix
demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2009, 06:42 AM   #29
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Juicy

Old July 3rd, 2009, 07:38 AM   #30
Strider
Back on the Black!

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (Black)

You scare me Oscar ... <jk>
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2009, 12:19 PM   #31
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

My impression of that site is that the creator actually hates motorcycles, and is trying to scare people away from them permanently.

I've read of people writing to him and asking him to be more fair and talk about safety measures, good riding gear, riding lessons, etc. and the site owner is not interested in presenting any other views.

Last futzed with by capt_bugaloo; July 3rd, 2009 at 07:46 PM.
capt_bugaloo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2009, 07:07 PM   #32
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_bugaloo View Post
My impression of that site is that the creator actually hates motorcycles, and is trying to scare people away from them permanently.

I've read of people writing to him and asking him to be more fair and talk about safety measures, good riding gear, riding lessons, etc. and the site owner is not interested interested in presenting any other views.
It's really not relevant. Motorcycles are inherently unstable and 5X more difficult to operate than a car.

A healthy dose of ground beef images should go a long way toward scaring off those who should not ride. And, it also serves to motivate those who do.

Old July 4th, 2009, 04:24 PM   #33
darthnip
ninjette.org member

Name: darth

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250

everybody please be careful out there. we dont want to end up on the "your picture here" section.
darthnip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2009, 06:05 PM   #34
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

Quote:

signed as well

Old July 5th, 2009, 06:33 AM   #35
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Quote:

I have signed as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaven View Post
signed as well
Are these underruns installed on Canadian trucks?
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2009, 08:53 AM   #36
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

IMHO, that site showed me, again, and confirmed what was taught in the MSF class: Wear safety gear, ride defensively, ride as though you are invisible, keep an eye on the cars around you, and SLOW DOWN.

nb

Old July 5th, 2009, 09:43 AM   #37
darthnip
ninjette.org member

Name: darth

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250

signed and forwarded to all the riders i know.
darthnip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2009, 12:47 PM   #38
zail
ninjette.org member

Name: zail

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r

Interesting mix of images designed to shock and iffy statistics designed to do likewise... I agree the author is attempting to put everyone off riding although some safety messages are interpersed with the general hysteria at times...

On a slightly more cheerful note, motorcycle fatalities here in the uk fell last year:

Quote:
Nearly 100 fewer motorcyclists were killed in 2008 than the year before, latest government figures show.

Rider deaths fell 16% in a year from 588 in 2007 to 493 last year. In casualty reduction terms it puts motorcyclists ahead of car drivers, who only saw a 12% fall in fatalities.

Fatal and serious motorcyclist casualties fell 10%, from 6737 in 2007 to 6048 in 2008. Rider casualties of all severities fell 8% to 21549.
(Source:http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...?&R=EPI-116197)

I wonder of Ride2Die will be updated to include these new statistics? Ha ha ha

Old July 5th, 2009, 01:03 PM   #39
jola
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250R

Riding without knowing the risks reminds me of The Office episode where Michael doesn't want to do anymore tests before jumping off the building because all of the watermelons are ending up splattered. Everyone should know before riding what state their body might come back in if things go awry.
jola is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2009, 04:33 PM   #40
RaceBikeRentals
Pimpin

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): Bunch of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purspeed View Post
It's really not relevant. Motorcycles are inherently unstable and 5X more difficult to operate than a car.

A healthy dose of ground beef images should go a long way toward scaring off those who should not ride. And, it also serves to motivate those who do.
+1. This sport is not for everyone.