ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old February 15th, 2011, 01:05 PM   #1
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Thumbs down Review: bikebolts bike kit

I'm not really happy with this kit. The allen heads are not the same size as kawasaki bolt heads. This makes a huge difference when you need the larger diameter for the lower mounting points on the side fairings. I had to replace one of them and ended up having to find a large enough washer to fit the hole and small enough so the bolt wouldn't swim inside it. I bought the kit as a set of spares so I would be ok if a bolt or two got misplaced, but I'm pretty let down with this kit. Also, the sizing of the allen key itself for the bolts are smaller than stock. The smaller bolts are tiny. I can't even use any of my standard allen sockets that I have on them. The plastic rivets are generic philips screw type that you find in most cars. They fit into the holes, but are longer than the stock ones.

The wellnuts are usable and they give you a neat diagram of where all the bolts go.

summary: I will source my own bolts the next time. This kit is not worth the headaches.

Old February 15th, 2011, 02:07 PM   #2
tiggen
ninjette.org guru

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2003 250

I agree. I bought a kit over a year ago for a bike I was trying to put back to stock trim before selling. Once I found out that most of the bolts were the wrong size, I tried emailing the guy who owns the shop. Never heard from him after I let him know the bolts were wrong and asked him how we would go about fixing the situation. Sold it on eBay for like $.02, right next to his.
tiggen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2011, 08:03 AM   #3
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Good feedback guys. Thanks!

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2011, 08:02 AM   #4
lonewolf05
ninjette.org guru

Name: Darrell

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R

I just ordered this kit like the entire thing for $35 shipped and with them being powder coated black. This kit is great for replacing ALL of the bolts not just using them as spares. Using them as spares is no good since they are smaller than stockers but they do come with washers and EVERYTHING needed. I thought this was a great kit for the price and not having to deal with the hassle of how many bolts I need and the right size plus its nice that it comes with the paper that shows every bolt that goes on the bike, thats just my

Old February 17th, 2011, 08:52 AM   #5
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Sorry, I disagree. How did you end up replacing the two larger bolts on the rear lower portion of the side fairings with any of the bolts? None of the supplied washers work with the thicker bolts. The thicker bolts have a small head so if you tried to use them on their own, they won't hold the fairing to the bike. As far as them not being any good to use as spares.... what's the point of buying a bolt kit if you can't use them as needed? For $35 I expected oem sized bolts and it's not what I got.

Old February 17th, 2011, 09:40 AM   #6
lonewolf05
ninjette.org guru

Granted I too would have liked OEM size bolts thats the only downfall that they aren't... I Used the thicker bolts with the washers like it said on the paper with the instructions and worked like a charm for me? I probably could have went and found an OEM bolt or something but i wanted black bolts on my white bike to kinda clean it up... so im happy with their product. Also if you think about it $35 for a FULL bolt kit Shipped too. Try going to a dealer and wanting all the bolts for that kinda price AND painted black. It wont happen. My only thing I didn't like is that they ARE NOT OEM size but oh well

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
Sorry, I disagree. How did you end up replacing the two larger bolts on the rear lower portion of the side fairings with any of the bolts? None of the supplied washers work with the thicker bolts. The thicker bolts have a small head so if you tried to use them on their own, they won't hold the fairing to the bike. As far as them not being any good to use as spares.... what's the point of buying a bolt kit if you can't use them as needed? For $35 I expected oem sized bolts and it's not what I got.

Old February 17th, 2011, 09:44 AM   #7
lonewolf05
ninjette.org guru

This is what is on their website as well

Are these screws the same as my O.E. screws?

These kits are designed as aftermarket replacements for the original equipment. The hardware is not designed to match the original equipment provided by the manufacture. The objective in each bolt kit design is to achieve an easy to install, easy to maintain kit that provides a factory, professional look. For some models (i.e. Suzuki GSXR), the diameter of the screw heads may be smaller than the OEM screws.

Old February 17th, 2011, 09:45 AM   #8
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

I wouldn't expect to get it from the dealer, but I'm willing to bet I could source the bolts from another shop, maybe Fastenal, for the same cost if not cheaper.

Old February 17th, 2011, 09:47 AM   #9
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf05 View Post
This is what is on their website as well

Are these screws the same as my O.E. screws?

These kits are designed as aftermarket replacements for the original equipment. The hardware is not designed to match the original equipment provided by the manufacture. The objective in each bolt kit design is to achieve an easy to install, easy to maintain kit that provides a factory, professional look. For some models (i.e. Suzuki GSXR), the diameter of the screw heads may be smaller than the OEM screws.
Kind of contradictory. The thing is, I can understand they use standard allen bolts and not the factory type, but for the heads to be different sized makes things just a PITA.

Old February 17th, 2011, 10:00 AM   #10
lonewolf05
ninjette.org guru

Agree it is a PITA... but oh well. All in all this place you can order them any color you would like and get all of the bolts with instructions in one easy order. I am sure you could find them elsewhere maybe even cheaper but its just more time consuming for you to have to go out and find them and if you want them painted then all that soo... we will have to agree to disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
Kind of contradictory. The thing is, I can understand they use standard allen bolts and not the factory type, but for the heads to be different sized makes things just a PITA.

Old February 17th, 2011, 10:31 AM   #11
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Yeah, I think if you're that into getting a colored bolt, you have very few choices.

Old February 17th, 2011, 11:11 AM   #12
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

Name: Vince

Motorcycle(s): Black 08 250r

fwiw, i painted my stock bolts and its held up for 15k miles. $4.99 for a can of gloss black rustoleum..........
want1sobad is offline   Reply With Quote