ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old October 25th, 2011, 09:42 PM   #1
TBC
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250F

Suggestions on Beginner Gear?

Hey guys! I need some suggestions on riding gear.

Since I've got the bike, I've been riding with a second-hand helmet (Nolan, no idea as to the model), baseball batting gloves, some old hiking boots, jeans, and a pullover jacket. Very little protection, to be honest - but I've only put around 20-25 miles on the bike so far, keeping almost entirely to side-streets and getting acquainted with her. I realized I'm far worse at using a manual transmission than I thought, and I'm afraid to lean into any turn yet (still working on that one...). Regardless - I need some safety gear!

I took a trip today up to the only real gear showroom in the area, and was disappointed to find that they didn't have much. Though I did figure out I'm basically an XL fit for gloves, helmet, and jacket.

So what recommendations can you give me? Think smaller-ish budget, likely around $500 not including the helmet. Here's what I'm after.

Gloves:
-Three season?
-Solid covering on my knuckles
-Cover my wrists

Over-Pants:
-Anything wrong with these?

Jacket:
-No idea. They had some Speed and...something jackets that were fine, and a "First Gear" branded jacket which was interesting.
-Back protector is a must.

Boots:
-Anyone make 4E boots? I can't seem to find any. I may have to just go without .

Helmet:
-My biggest gripe with the helmet I have, other than the less than perfect fit, is that the visor fogs! A major issue for me.
-The guy at the showroom suggested Scorpion helmets, and said HJC branded ones were in the same league. Anything wrong with either of those two? Some brief searches say that they're okay?

I think that's all of it. Thanks for any advice!
TBC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2011, 11:19 PM   #2
Guoseph
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Husky FE501S, 2007 KTM 525 EXC, 2002 KTM 250 EXC, 1998 Honda VFR 800

Definitely check all the close out / bargain sections of popular motorcycle gear websites. You may not always find the color/design you want, but there's some solid gear available cheap in last year's colors. Make sure you know your fit well so that it's easier to shop online.

Get everything for <$600:

Jacket:
First Gear Kathmandu $199

Pants:
First Gear Kathmandu Pants $125

Helmet:
Scorpion EXO 700 $100

Gloves:
Shift Bullet Gloves $50

Boots:
AXO Boots $100

This is just a sample of what you can get, there's a lot of good stuff on sale out there, you just have to hunt for it. I'd rather get good gear on sale than cheap gear that matches.

Good luck with your search
Guoseph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2011, 11:24 PM   #3
Guoseph
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Husky FE501S, 2007 KTM 525 EXC, 2002 KTM 250 EXC, 1998 Honda VFR 800

If you are interested in leather instead of textile, Kobe USA stuff is very solid. Good quality without the brand name price like A*, Dainese, etc.

Kobe Dragon Street Gear

Old October 26th, 2011, 04:22 AM   #4
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ms.T, Queen of the Night

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Smart you for gearing up!
Try on both the helmets you saw and liked. They need to fit right to protect you. Snug. And all of them are shaped a little differently. Scorpion didn't fit my head shape but HJC and Zox were perfect. New helmet is the way to go, to hard to tell if a used one was knocked about at all since they can be repainted. My favourite is the HJC with a flip down sun visor.

Also try on any and every boot you can. Many people with wider feet manage just fine with some of the commonly available boots and remember you won't be doing a lot of walking with them but you will still do some. It's worth it for the extra protection they offer. If you can't find a race style boot you like, which often give the best protection, look at a harley type shops. Many of them are for wider feet and not all of them are splashed with the harley logo. Thick leather and ankle protection.

Are you going to take the MSF course? They will have you shifting without thinking about it and leaning just fine and they will also give you all the tips you need to keep yourself safe. Well worth every penny and sometimes you can get cheaper insurance when you complete the course.

Ride safe!
Firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2011, 10:20 AM   #5
TBC
ninjette.org guru

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guoseph View Post

Jacket:

Pants:

Helmet:
Scorpion EXO 700 $100

Gloves:
Shift Bullet Gloves $50
Those gloves, helmet, and jacket all look great! I think I looked at a very similar First Gear jacket at the shop and it was well-built. I also think I tried on that exact helmet (different graphics, though). Are those over-pants? It's a bit hard to tell from the link.

And thanks for the tips on looking for bargains and close-outs. I'll keep my eyes open .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse View Post
Try on both the helmets you saw and liked. They need to fit right to protect you. Snug.
The store with the gear is well over an hour away, and I had to leave work early to avoid rush-hour traffic. Given the selection, I don't think I'll be going back anytime soon . The XL Scorpion helmet I tried on fit me very well (I think EXO of some sort), though I tried on another kind of XL Scorpion helmet with a flip-down sun visor that didn't fit so well. I didn't really try on any HJC helmets, and they didn't have any other brands. I think the best choice might just be to get an XL helmet from a store with a good return policy?

Quote:
Also try on any and every boot you can.
Unfortunately, I can't find stores around here with any cycling boots. Unless I can find some wide boots online or get some suggestions on wide-running boots, I think I'll just go to REI or the like and get a solid pair of hiking boots. Not nearly the same type of protection, but without being able to see some boots in person, it might be a rather fruitless search...

Quote:
Are you going to take the MSF course? They will have you shifting without thinking about it and leaning just fine and they will also give you all the tips you need to keep yourself safe. Well worth every penny and sometimes you can get cheaper insurance when you complete the course.
I took the course last summer (2010) - it just took me this long to get the cash (and the courage!) to take the leap and get a bike. I learned a heck of a lot, though.

It's not really the concept of shifting I'm having issues with, but rather the timing of everything - mostly while decelerating. When exactly to shift down when decelerating, when to engine brake, how to rev-match smoothly, etc.

I'll take a closer look at some gear online tonight to see what I can come up with.

Old October 26th, 2011, 03:52 PM   #6
Guoseph
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBC View Post
Those gloves, helmet, and jacket all look great! I think I looked at a very similar First Gear jacket at the shop and it was well-built. I also think I tried on that exact helmet (different graphics, though). Are those over-pants? It's a bit hard to tell from the link.
These particular pants are designed to be overpants, though they do not have full length zippers like some others to facilitate easy on/off (insert debate on full length zippers here). Read the detailed description from the link at Motorcyclegear.com, they do a really good job describing how it fits, and you can always email/call them for more info. Revzilla does a lot of online videos to show fit and features, so does Sportbiketrackgear.com

Old October 26th, 2011, 03:57 PM   #7
Guoseph
ninjette.org member

Quote:
It's not really the concept of shifting I'm having issues with, but rather the timing of everything - mostly while decelerating. When exactly to shift down when decelerating, when to engine brake, how to rev-match smoothly, etc.
If you've put a total of 25 miles on your bike, I wouldn't worry so much about rev matching (if I'm reading this as blipping the throttle while braking). Just work on your clutch control and being smoother with letting it out. Engine braking is always "in use" unless you pull the clutch in, but it's generally taught that you don't coast with the clutch in.

Old October 26th, 2011, 07:17 PM   #8
TBC
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
(insert debate on full length zippers here)
Which is - just guessing here - that they're more likely to come off in the event of a crash?

Quote:
Engine braking is always "in use" unless you pull the clutch in, but it's generally taught that you don't coast with the clutch in.
...you're not supposed to coast with the clutch in?

Old October 26th, 2011, 07:39 PM   #9
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

Quote:
Definitely check all the close out / bargain sections of popular motorcycle gear websites. You may not always find the color/design you want, but there's some solid gear available cheap in last year's colors. Make sure you know your fit well so that it's easier to shop online.

Jacket:

Pants:

Helmet:
Scorpion EXO 700 $100

Gloves:
Shift Bullet Gloves $50

Boots:
AXO Boots $100

This is just a sample of what you can get, there's a lot of good stuff on sale out there, you just have to hunt for it. I'd rather get good gear on sale than cheap gear that matches.

Good luck with your search
or this http://store.teizms.com/lombard I'm a big 1 piece suit fan. (I'm lazy but I want all the protection i can get)
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2011, 08:43 PM   #10
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Some of the big motorcycle shows should be coming up there soon. Take a look at what's going on at your big convention centres and arenas. Tons of good deals at those and they are usually clearing out last years styles. The shopping is insane, you'll spend a bundle but if it's only boots at the point, try to get there as soon as it opens for the doorcrasher specials. The big one in TO last year was 50% off for the first hour.

Just keep at it with the clutch. Once I learned "passive downshifting" I do it that way almost all the time unless I'm practicing blipping the throttle on purpose. Only practice is needed most likely and you'll know when it works textbook style because it's so insanely smooth that for just a second you thing you missed the shift! It will come but just like Guoseph mentioned, concentrate on letting that clutch out smoothly.
Progressively, smoothly for brakes and clutch, smoooottthhhh..

You'll have it in no time.

Old October 29th, 2011, 11:30 PM   #11
TBC
ninjette.org guru

Again, thanks for all of the responses guys!

Quote:
Some of the big motorcycle shows should be coming up there soon. Take a look at what's going on at your big convention centres and arenas.
Motorcycle shows happen in the winter?

Anyways, here's what I've got so far:
Gloves: http://www.revzilla.com/product/alpinestars-sp-x-gloves
Overpants: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/i...tile-overpants
Jacket: http://www.revzilla.com/product/firstgear-jaunt-jacket (not really set on this one, though).
Boots: http://www.revzilla.com/product/alpi...s-discontinued <- These look good.
http://www.revzilla.com/product/sidi...gore-tex-boots <- These look better (wide feet), but are far more expensive.

Still haven't quite figured out the helmet, though. Any recommendations (or comments on what I've got so far)?

Old October 30th, 2011, 09:17 PM   #12
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Again, thanks for all of the responses guys!

Motorcycle shows happen in the winter?

Anyways, here's what I've got so far:
Gloves: http://www.revzilla.com/product/alpinestars-sp-x-gloves
Overpants: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/i...tile-overpants
Jacket: http://www.revzilla.com/product/firstgear-jaunt-jacket (not really set on this one, though).
Boots: http://www.revzilla.com/product/alpi...s-discontinued <- These look good.
http://www.revzilla.com/product/sidi...gore-tex-boots <- These look better (wide feet), but are far more expensive.

Still haven't quite figured out the helmet, though. Any recommendations (or comments on what I've got so far)?
Looks good so far. I love my textiles. Will have leathers eventually but they're really handy right now - have rainlayer zipped in and I'm quite toasty at 6c/40f.

We have three big shows in the winter. Can't or don't ride so may as well shop and dream.
Here's two of the ones, I'm going to, it will give you an idea of what you can find at a typical MC show.
http://www.torontomotorcycleshow.ca/

http://www.supershowevents.com/super/index.html

Looks like there's two in Pittsburgh but I don't know if they're anywhere near you and the dates haven't been finalized. Check with a local bike shop.

Old October 30th, 2011, 10:17 PM   #13
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

Scorpion helmets are really good. Definitely the first brand you should check out. Unfortunately, if you have an abnormally large head like I do then even the XXL won't fit. HJC would be the next best brand but I have an AFX helmet (it was really cheap) and it fits great and doesn't fog too badly
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2011, 11:05 AM   #14
TBC
ninjette.org guru

Thanks for the tips everyone! The way my budgeting is going, I'm probably going to go with the gloves first, jacket second, and upgrade the helmet when I get the cash (and, you know, decide on which helmet to get).

I'm currently caught between two jackets:
1 - http://www.revzilla.com/product/firstgear-jaunt-jacket
2 - http://www.revzilla.com/product/alpi...air-flo-jacket

I really like the styling and the protection provided by the Alpinestars jacket for the price (especially with the optional breast plates and back protector added in). The only huge difference between the two which I can spot is in water protection - the Firstgear jacket is resistant while the Alpinestars jacket is perforated (i.e. gets soaked!). I think I'll be happier with the Alpinestars jacket as far as styling and actually wanting to wear the thing, but living in a place with more overcast days than Seattle, I'm not sure it's the best choice?

Am I looking at that correctly? Does anyone on here own either jacket and can chime in?

Old November 2nd, 2011, 11:15 AM   #15
Guoseph
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Thanks for the tips everyone! The way my budgeting is going, I'm probably going to go with the gloves first, jacket second, and upgrade the helmet when I get the cash (and, you know, decide on which helmet to get).

I'm currently caught between two jackets:
1 - http://www.revzilla.com/product/firstgear-jaunt-jacket
2 - http://www.revzilla.com/product/alpi...air-flo-jacket

I really like the styling and the protection provided by the Alpinestars jacket for the price (especially with the optional breast plates and back protector added in). The only huge difference between the two which I can spot is in water protection - the Firstgear jacket is resistant while the Alpinestars jacket is perforated (i.e. gets soaked!). I think I'll be happier with the Alpinestars jacket as far as styling and actually wanting to wear the thing, but living in a place with more overcast days than Seattle, I'm not sure it's the best choice?

Am I looking at that correctly? Does anyone on here own either jacket and can chime in?
It depends on what kind of conditions you plan to ride in. You are comparing a summer jacket to a winter jacket. Rarely will you find something that is suitable for all four seasons, so it's always a compromise.

Firstgear actually claims waterproof for their Hypertex membrane, but if you have no plans of riding in the rain (or want to buy an outside rain suit), then it's not a requirement. Come summer time though, the same waterproof jacket is not nearly as breathable as the mesh, and there's only so many vents they can cut into that thing before it no longer stays together in a crash.

Mesh jackets are great for airflow, but it's November now, and Pittsburgh is going to get colder before it gets warmer (I grew up in Morgantown, btw). You can always try to bundle under and over the jacket, but it's going to be a compromise until it gets warmer. Then again, if you plan to put your bike away until spring, that's a moot point

I'm mulling over picking up one of these for the upcoming rainy season here:

Scorpion XDR Commander

Old November 2nd, 2011, 08:03 PM   #16
TBC
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
It depends on what kind of conditions you plan to ride in. You are comparing a summer jacket to a winter jacket. Rarely will you find something that is suitable for all four seasons, so it's always a compromise.
Mesh jackets are great for airflow, but it's November now, and Pittsburgh is going to get colder before it gets warmer (I grew up in Morgantown, btw). You can always try to bundle under and over the jacket, but it's going to be a compromise until it gets warmer. Then again, if you plan to put your bike away until spring, that's a moot point
I'm getting more addicted to riding - planning on putting the bike away for winter may not work after all . I figure that either way I'll be putting a layer or two on top of the jacket, but I want something flexible. The Firstgear jacket seems like a good buy for its versatility, but the Alpinestars jacket seems to have the edge for both the looks and the overall protection. I'm not really sure how to decide, as buying two jackets right now just seems excessive.

I've also started looking at the Alpinestars Verona jacket. Not nearly as visible as either of the others, but looks comfortable and combines the features of both. Ugh, decisions decisions...

It's funny that you grew up in Morgantown, I grew up partly in the SF Bay Area. Small world .

Quote:
I'm mulling over picking up one of these for the upcoming rainy season here:

Scorpion XDR Commander
Darn, a third (fourth?) option!

Old November 4th, 2011, 05:45 PM   #17
TBC
ninjette.org guru

After talking with the guys from RevZilla, I think I may have settled on this jacket:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...tempest-jacket

I just need to figure out which color to get (black is universal, or whether a more visible blue or red will better match my yellow bike).

Old November 5th, 2011, 12:24 AM   #18
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
high-vis yellow. and a white helmet. apparently it increases your chances of being seen by some crazy high number... the guy from barbados can tell you more.

i also think you should buy a hayabusa.

Old November 5th, 2011, 03:22 AM   #19
TheTopher
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250F

Quote:
Boots:
-Anyone make 4E boots? I can't seem to find any. I may have to just go without .

My work boots are 3E and I've got a pair of Sidi ST boots in 45 that fit perfectly. I was shocked.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sidi-st-boots

If you look at the bottom left of the page there's actually a little marker telling you how wide the footbed is. Try browsing around until you find a pair of boots closer to the wide side.

As far as a jacket, this is what I've got.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSVDAQlXDa8

Without the liners it's cool and flows a lot of air in the summer, with both liners in it keeps me toasty warm when I feel like riding in 45 degree weather like we have now, even with just a t shirt under it.
TheTopher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2011, 06:50 PM   #20
TBC
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
After talking with the guys from RevZilla, I think I may have settled on this jacket:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...tempest-jacket
Jacket arrived today. Fits quite well, though it is shorter than I expected!

Gloves also broke (velcro strap fell apart). They'll be getting a call from me come Monday...

Old November 13th, 2011, 01:41 AM   #21
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

^ bummer.

but hey I just found your gear thread, I know you just got a new jacket but Shift is also a pretty cheap brand and they seem to be pretty decent so far. I bought a shift jacket and its holding up well... Its a little big but it seems like itll offer a decent amount of protection as well as it keeps me warm from the wind.
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2011, 11:53 AM   #22
burningscooter
clutch

Name: nameless

Motorcycle(s): L1 GSXR600

Dont know if youve actually moved on purchasing boots but I definitely do not recommend those AXO boots Guoseph recommended. i own a pair and they are complete garbage, Ive only worn them once and now they are sitting in my closet collecting dust. Theres a reason that price is so low on those boots. No real ankle support, boot is flimsy, and you need to have calves the size of watermelons to make those boots fit well.

Also, nice pick up on the jacket, I love AGV SPORT gear, quality at a solid price.
burningscooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2011, 03:17 PM   #23
TBC
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by burningscooter View Post
Dont know if youve actually moved on purchasing boots but I definitely do not recommend those AXO boots Guoseph recommended.
I'm still saving my pennies. A proper helmet first, then some chaps, then the boots. Ideally, of course.

Quote:
Also, nice pick up on the jacket, I love AGV SPORT gear, quality at a solid price.
Thanks!

Old November 14th, 2011, 05:06 PM   #24
Guoseph
ninjette.org member

I used those boots just as a demonstration of trying to shop bargains to achieve a certain budget. I have no experience with AXO boots and do not recommend them directly. For boots my vote goes to Sidi, but there are many different pieces of quality footwear out there.

Thanks for the heads up on AXO

Old November 30th, 2011, 11:54 AM   #25
TBC
ninjette.org guru

Updates: ordered a AGV K3 Gothic helmet (size XL) - should be here later this week.

Also picked up some AGV Sport Telluride pants. Damn things are too long and the waist is too small. Sending those back and trying to figure out what pants to try out next .

The gloves are still at AlpineStars. They said they'll probably ship out later next week. Probably the last time I buy a product from them...

Old November 30th, 2011, 11:59 AM   #26
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

bummer dude. Mine are still workin great...
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2011, 04:06 PM   #27
burningscooter
clutch

Quote:
Updates: ordered a AGV K3 Gothic helmet (size XL) - should be here later this week.

Also picked up some AGV Sport Telluride pants. Damn things are too long and the waist is too small. Sending those back and trying to figure out what pants to try out next .

The gloves are still at AlpineStars. They said they'll probably ship out later next week. Probably the last time I buy a product from them...
its true man. at 99$ for the alpinestars, you could have added an additional 20$ and got the:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/d...n-cover-gloves

My buddy has a set of these and they look great, feels soft, full gauntlet, and they protect well.

Old November 30th, 2011, 11:03 PM   #28
TBC
ninjette.org guru

Helmet is still not shipped. Their page says that it's currently out of stock too. Hm...

Old December 1st, 2011, 10:34 AM   #29
PHL
ninjette.org member

Name: Napoleon

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Street Triple R

Quote:

Sizing with pants are a real pain. Rev'it makes short sizes that might allow for a better fit. I have a shorter than normal inseam, and pants I've tried are often too long for me. Have you considered some cheap overpants? I say this only because I thought the consensus on the board was that proper riding boots should be purchased before pants. However, it would not be the first time my memory failed me...
PHL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 1st, 2011, 10:16 PM   #30
TBC
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
A little worried about this, but I got their last one in stock and it shipped out today! Should be here tomorrow, just in time to try it out over the weekend .

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL View Post
Sizing with pants are a real pain. Rev'it makes short sizes that might allow for a better fit. I have a shorter than normal inseam, and pants I've tried are often too long for me.
I was looking at the FirstGear HT Overpants next, but they're a good $100 more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL View Post
Have you considered some cheap overpants? I say this only because I thought the consensus on the board was that proper riding boots should be purchased before pants. However, it would not be the first time my memory failed me...
Even with some cheap overpants, I have oddly shaped feet, so a pair of boots in my size are going to run me ~$400 or so. I figure I'll get what I can afford first and save the boots for last.

Old December 4th, 2011, 04:27 PM   #31
TBC
ninjette.org guru

Helmet arrived and seems very cool. Built really well and the graphics are awesome. Two gripes right off of the bat, though. First, the shield seems a bit flimsy. Not like it's going to fall apart or anything, but that using the nib to get it up it would seem a bit hesitant, as if both sides weren't connected well. That might change in time. Secondly, it is not a "goldenrod" yellow like they said over the phone (and as it looks in the photos). It's very close to safety green. Not necessarily a bad thing, but not what I was expecting.

But unfortunately I have the feeling that it's one size too big for me . It's going back this week for a size exchange...

Old December 5th, 2011, 04:33 PM   #32
TBC
ninjette.org guru

Size exchanged processed! Helmet is going back and the new helmet is being shipped out later this week. Man oh man do I hope it fits .

Gloves also finally on their way back, should be here tomorrow.

Old December 5th, 2011, 07:21 PM   #33
Guoseph
ninjette.org member

Yeah, unfortunately that's one of the issues with ordering online, you get the great prices but sometimes it just doesn't fit. But overtime you start to get a feel for what size you are in what brands, and online shopping gets a lot easier

Old December 6th, 2011, 03:17 PM   #34
burningscooter
clutch

Quote:
Yeah, unfortunately that's one of the issues with ordering online, you get the great prices but sometimes it just doesn't fit. But overtime you start to get a feel for what size you are in what brands, and online shopping gets a lot easier
What he said.

For me, once ive figured out what fits what in which brands, etc, I normally dont deviate from it.

Old December 6th, 2011, 07:48 PM   #35
TBC
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
For me, once ive figured out what fits what in which brands, etc, I normally dont deviate from it.
Well I tried on an XL Scorpion helmet that fit perfectly, and the size chart for the two helmets lined up pretty well. Who knows .

Old December 8th, 2011, 10:37 PM   #36
TBC
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Well I tried on an XL Scorpion helmet that fit perfectly, and the size chart for the two helmets lined up pretty well. Who knows .
Large helmet arrived today. It fits okay. Pretty snug all of the way around, though there's a little bit of motion rotating it side to side. Ah well, you get what you get .

Gloves came back as well, so I went for a quick ride tonight. The freakin' face shield on the helmet cruds up . Not fogs up, like my helmet, but cruds up. As in it gets these streaks of moisture or something on the inside that makes seeing out of it incredibly blurry. I pulled over and wiped it clean, but after getting back on the bike it happened again (leaving it cracked didn't help that much either). Anyone experienced this?

Just not my luck, is it .

Old December 8th, 2011, 10:45 PM   #37
Guoseph
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Large helmet arrived today. It fits okay. Pretty snug all of the way around, though there's a little bit of motion rotating it side to side. Ah well, you get what you get .

Gloves came back as well, so I went for a quick ride tonight. The freakin' face shield on the helmet cruds up . Not fogs up, like my helmet, but cruds up. As in it gets these streaks of moisture or something on the inside that makes seeing out of it incredibly blurry. I pulled over and wiped it clean, but after getting back on the bike it happened again (leaving it cracked didn't help that much either). Anyone experienced this?

Just not my luck, is it .
Unfortunately size charts don't tell the whole story. Each helmet has a pretty distinct shape (round to oval) and you have to read up a lot on it (and try that specific helmet on if available) to make sure you are getting the right fit. I'd say helmets are toughest to buy online, so I only by the super duper on clearance ones, that way I'm not out much if it doesn't fit

On the crud thing. Does this happen while you are moving or stopped? Are your vents open? Are you a heavy breather? It's on the inside of your shield vs the outside? My Scorpion helmet does has started to fog up at stop lights when I wear my ninja mask, cus I can't direct my breath downwards, but fog goes away after taking off.

Edit, I should say every head as a pretty distinct shape.

Old December 8th, 2011, 11:02 PM   #38
TBC
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I'd say helmets are toughest to buy online, so I only by the super duper on clearance ones, that way I'm not out much if it doesn't fit
Unfortunately there's no place that has a large selection of helmets near here .

Quote:
On the crud thing. Does this happen while you are moving or stopped? Are your vents open? Are you a heavy breather? It's on the inside of your shield vs the outside?
Happens both when I am moving and stopped - I haven't ridden enough to really determine whether it's drastically different between the two. Bottom vent was open, top ones weren't (though there are always-on vents in the rear). No idea if I'm a heavy breather or not. On the inside of the shield. Could the temperature (~27*F standing) have anything to do with it?

It's not fog - fog would be easy, as it clears up the second you really start moving. This is just...crud .

Old December 8th, 2011, 11:08 PM   #39
Guoseph
ninjette.org member

Probably condensation. When you say crud it makes me think of things less clean/clear, as in you should blow your nose before riding

Think of the outside of a glass of ice water, is it like that? 27 is pretty cold, try breathing out through your mouth and angle downwards, are you sweating inside your helmet (unlikely at 27 degrees but never know)?

Old December 8th, 2011, 11:17 PM   #40
TBC
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Probably condensation. When you say crud it makes me think of things less clean/clear, as in you should blow your nose before riding Think of the outside of a glass of ice water, is it like that?
Though condensation usually shows up like fog and/or is a little cleaner. This had more of a grimy feel to it. Not like the outside of a glass of ice water, no.

Quote:
27 is pretty cold, try breathing out through your mouth and angle downwards, are you sweating inside your helmet (unlikely at 27 degrees but never know)?
27 is pretty freaking cold, especially at speed with vented gloves . Went less than ten miles before I gave up, my hands were good and raw.

And nope, wasn't sweating.