ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 19th, 2015, 09:12 PM   #1
vexuno
ninjette.org member

Name: Juan

Motorcycle(s): None yet

3rd or 4th Gen Ninja 250?

I've seen a few 3rd and 4th gen models up for sale in my area. Being new to the motorcycle world, I'm not versed in tech talk. Interested to hear your opinions/comparisons (in leimans terms) of these two generations, and which you think is better?
vexuno is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2015, 10:00 PM   #2
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

this topic has been beaten to death man, try a search!

But to answer your question as someone who owned an 03 ninja 250 then a '12 ninja 250 i'd say the pregen was more comfortable and oh so slightly faster in the straights but the newgen was sexier all around which is by far more important.

Also the newgen (4th) gives you a better feel overall for sport bikes... The pregen is almost like a cruiser in "someways" to be honest. I remember the first thing I thought of when I sat on a newgen was how awkward it felt with the big round gas tank. You get used to it fast though and learn to love it.

Old February 19th, 2015, 10:00 PM   #3
Roark
ninjette.org sage

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninjette

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Main_Page

Loads and loads of information of the pregen. A lot of new gen info on this forum..

The pre-gen models are the pre-08 models... They're all kinda lumped together. The new-gen models are everything post-07.

Split into the two categories, my personal opinion is that the pre-gen is more practical, faster, and has better ergonomics. The new-gen, however, is sportier, more attractive, and has slightly worse ergonomics. Both are great bikes, and both will serve you well.

Also..there's way too much information out there to just make a thread for it! Search key is your friend..

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old February 19th, 2015, 11:03 PM   #4
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Get a PreGen don't ask why, just do it.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 20th, 2015, 01:20 AM   #5
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Get a pregen like mine, beat the living **** out of it, drop it, make all kinds of mistakes on it, wrench on it, learn a LOT, and dont care if you hurt it too much because its an ugly pos anyway. Besides, maybe its just mine, but in my experience, the pregen is pretty rugged. It takes a lot to hurt it badly. Granted, i havent owned a newgen, but if i did get one, i would have been a little more upset all those times i dropped my bike.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2015, 01:26 AM   #6
jenkem
ninjette.org member

Name: really

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250

I feel as if the only real downsides to the pregen are the looks and suspension. The downside to the newgen on the other hand is a $1000 or more premium over the pregen. The looks can't really be helped but you can get the suspension on par with the newgen for just over $100. $90 ish for some sonic springs and then $30 or so for a used newgen rear shock off ebay.
jenkem is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2015, 01:39 AM   #7
Ghostt
in your machine

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkem View Post
I feel as if the only real downsides to the pregen are the looks and suspension. The downside to the newgen on the other hand is a $1000 or more premium over the pregen. The looks can't really be helped but you can get the suspension on par with the newgen for just over $100. $90 ish for some sonic springs and then $30 or so for a used newgen rear shock off ebay.
Save your $90 and just cut, shim, set your sag for the the fork springs, increase the fork oil viscosity. Or if your dying to buy fork springs, by a used set from a EX500 1st gen, and then do the same to thing to them. Why you ask heavy weight spring.

Then get you a NewGen rear shock, total cost not more than $50.00 USD.

ZX-2R BLOG

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old February 20th, 2015, 07:10 AM   #8
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkem View Post
beg to differ, I personally really dig some street fighter and café racer pregens. They can look pretty damn cool

here link to new member who is going this route. Looks good already
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...214#post984214

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2015, 07:47 AM   #9
Ghostt
in your machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
beg to differ, I personally really dig some street fighter and café racer pregens. They can look pretty damn cool

here link to new member who is going this route. Looks good already
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...214#post984214
Hey hey hey!!! That my advice LOL I'm so going to do that hopefully this season, or at least get the kit first.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old February 20th, 2015, 08:03 AM   #10
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post

Old February 20th, 2015, 08:03 AM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

This thread has a good bit of information comparing the pre-gen (1988-2007) & new-gen (2008-2012) bikes:

Iron Ninjas!! Battle of the 250s!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2015, 09:58 PM   #12
Ninja Rob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexuno View Post
I've seen a few 3rd and 4th gen models up for sale in my area. Being new to the motorcycle world, I'm not versed in tech talk. Interested to hear your opinions/comparisons (in leimans terms) of these two generations, and which you think is better?
In my experience, this comment is from one of my previous posts. I have been riding for about 5-6 months and I have riden about 2-3 thousand miles. Hope it helps you. It is just my opinion.

The post:

I currently have only driven my 2004 Ninja 250. The seller has a 2008 Ninja 250, about 14K miles, chopped rear fender, front mirror turn signal lights, Two brothers carbon fiber exhaust (welded on).

So I test drove his 2008 Ninja.
For some reason, it feels like my older ninja has more power and just feels like my bike accelerates more enthusiastically when I open the throttle.

The 08 Ninja feels like it accelerates very "automatically". Both bikes have manual transmission but the difference between the two feels like the difference between driving a manual car and an automatic car.

I mean, I like how the Newgen looks but I like how the Pregen feels.

I personally like the suspension on the Pregen. It helps me to gauge/feel the quality of the road that I am riding on.

Then again, what your wallet likes might ultimately determine what you get.

Old February 21st, 2015, 12:38 AM   #13
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
From what i understand, the pregen has an older style carb as well. You can really feel when the main jet kicks on.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2015, 03:15 AM   #14
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Nope! Same carb bodies between generations. Different jet sizes and needles, etc.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2015, 11:40 AM   #15
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Both are excellent motos. For my purposes the pre-gen fills the bill well with generally lower cost and slightly better fuel economy. Find the best deal or the one you like the most and you can't go wrong.