Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 20th, 2014, 04:50 PM   #41
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBO View Post
Nice, that sounds good. I have an AA in (Bus) and 1 year away from getting my BS in Bus Admin w/ emphasis in Accounting. What CSU or university are you enrolled at?
I'm just at my local community college to knock out some of my General Ed requirements. I'm getting all A's and hoping to get into cal poly, but if I don't I'll easily get into Chico.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2014, 05:08 PM   #42
BoBO
ninjette.org guru

Name: Genesis

Motorcycle(s): SC28 Fireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
I'm just at my local community college to knock out some of my General Ed requirements. I'm getting all A's and hoping to get into cal poly, but if I don't I'll easily get into Chico.
I was at LPC in Livermore last year, are you in the Bay Area? Cal Poly is a nice school, I almost went there but it was too hard for me to move since my job is here in NoCal. I go to SSU now, but I definitely miss the Bay Area.
BoBO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2014, 06:25 PM   #43
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
I was at LPC in Livermore last year, are you in the Bay Area? Cal Poly is a nice school, I almost went there but it was too hard for me to move since my job is here in NoCal. I go to SSU now, but I definitely miss the Bay Area.
Nah I'm in the north. The deep north :P

Old September 20th, 2014, 06:30 PM   #44
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
It's your $$$, do what you want with it.
Hey, didn't I see a commercial on TV that said pretty much the same thing? lol
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2014, 06:42 PM   #45
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Cal poly is a great school. I have a friend who packed up and attended. He graduated a year back, he's got a sweet job now. They have a great Tri team as well as a strong human powered vehicle team.

My only regret on choosing colleges was not looking further (west) from home.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2014, 07:40 PM   #46
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
I wanted to go to Cal Poly but I didn't get in

Old September 20th, 2014, 08:18 PM   #47
BoBO
ninjette.org guru

^ I know how that feels, not to be able to go to the school you really want. The time & energy used of having to move, find a job and place was unreasonable in my situation. Cal Poly SLO has one of the best engineering programs here in Cali. But hey, a degree is better than none. What school did you end up going to?

Old September 20th, 2014, 08:44 PM   #48
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

This thread makes me laugh so hard.

Literally , out loud.

In perfect land - Financial Aid - goes directly to education
In perfect land - democracy works
In perfect land - Education is for the betterment of society, and not run like a business

You don't live in a perfect world.

You live in the real world. You spend on what you want, if you don't graduate or something else happens from spending that money - you live with the regret.

Personally- I would buy cheap used gear and throw the rest in a savings account.

Starting a Savings and retirement should be encouraged from a young age.

( I spent my Scholarship money on a .... drummm roolllll . Snowmobile - when I was 18)
lol

it worked out ok. I graduated, and got to tear across frozen fields in excess of 100mph while freezing my butt off!

Do what makes you happy. Another good habit would be to put all the money in a savings account and every time you get a 4.0 GPA . that is when you allow yourself the opportunity to purchase new gear.

Reward system to reinforce academic achievement!!!

That is a darn good way to Ethically spend money on gear and school
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2014, 09:08 PM   #49
Daks
Jersey Devil

Name: Daks

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250

I went to community college for two years and came out up 5k and an associate's degree.
Every semester I got 1k+ over what my classes cost to do whatever I wanted with.
It fixed my car, I visited CA to look at schools, I bought a new computer and had I been riding then, I would have spent it on my bike, too. Actually, you could say that some of it did buy my bike because I put the last semester's worth into my moving fund and I spent the extra I had of that on my bike.

The reason you are granted an amount of money is to cover what working time you lose by being in school. Spend it on the things you need. And you need gear.

Old September 20th, 2014, 11:11 PM   #50
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
^ I know how that feels, not to be able to go to the school you really want. The time & energy used of having to move, find a job and place was unreasonable in my situation. Cal Poly SLO has one of the best engineering programs here in Cali. But hey, a degree is better than none. What school did you end up going to?
Got into UCSC for this fall.

Old September 20th, 2014, 11:34 PM   #51
EternalNewb

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

^Oh, congrats! I wanted to go there.
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2014, 06:07 AM   #52
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daks View Post
The reason you are granted an amount of money is to cover what working time you lose by being in school. Spend it on the things you need. And you need gear.
Ha. If this is true, I should have gotten a ton more FAFSA money. The only 'financial aid' money I've gotten that hasn't gone straight into tuition is federal work study money. BecAuse that is legit work money. If what you're saying is true, FAFSA will be paying me buckets next year. But the real story is since I'm making a good amount, I'll get nothing from FAFSA because my family and I are getting bumped up a bracket.

Yall at community colleges might be getting paid pocket money by FAFSA, but those of us at private schools still have to pay a good bit on top of a good scholarship and pathetically small FAFSA contributions. There's no option for pocket lining here. Any money from FAFSA i pocket has to be covered by me and/or my family when it comes time to pay tuition every year.

Old September 22nd, 2014, 07:45 AM   #53
BoBO
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
Got into UCSC for this fall.
Nice, I love being by the water.

Old September 23rd, 2014, 12:15 AM   #54
Daks
Jersey Devil

Name: Daks

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Ha. If this is true, I should have gotten a ton more FAFSA money. The only 'financial aid' money I've gotten that hasn't gone straight into tuition is federal work study money. BecAuse that is legit work money. If what you're saying is true, FAFSA will be paying me buckets next year. But the real story is since I'm making a good amount, I'll get nothing from FAFSA because my family and I are getting bumped up a bracket.

Yall at community colleges might be getting paid pocket money by FAFSA, but those of us at private schools still have to pay a good bit on top of a good scholarship and pathetically small FAFSA contributions. There's no option for pocket lining here. Any money from FAFSA i pocket has to be covered by me and/or my family when it comes time to pay tuition every year.
hey I didn't make you go to a private college. That's on you, buddy! Cry me a river and soak it up with your fancier paper in 4+ years, 100k down the road.

Wish I had that choice. I got in and got my grants because despite 4 out of 5 people having jobs in my house, it was still hard to afford to eat. One of my jobs' paychecks went to groceries and house things, the rest into money to move. 75 hour work weeks plus a full-time student. I like to think I used my "pocket money" wisely enough.

Everyone's circumstance is different.

Old September 23rd, 2014, 12:26 AM   #55
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
The school you go to isn't considered by the FAFSA. Your family's income is.

Old September 23rd, 2014, 05:39 PM   #56
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yes mratom, I'm aware how FAFSA works. Going on year 5 with it

Daks: I'm Not complaining or crying, just suggesting that FAFSA does NOT cover lost work money that you could have made while you spent time in college (like you suggested). Just saying, I'm not being paid 50,000+ every year to compensate for the fact that I'm not a machinist working overtime every week for 8 semesters. Thank you very much, I'll soak it up in fancier paper immediately after graduation. I'm going to be nearly debt free thanks to my job and my family and the massive scholarship I earned, as well as the fact that I'm thrifty and have been working multiple jobs since sophomore year of high school. (Don't call me buddy. It comes off as condescending.) I'm not trying to brag here, but you really shouldn't poke the finger at me just because I'm at a private university. This is actually the cheapest option I had, including local state schools. Honestly, it's also the one of the best schools I looked at.