ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old December 2nd, 2014, 12:08 AM   #1
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
No title bike in California

I've got a friend who has a no-title 150cc scooter that doesn't run that he'll give to me, free of charge. I don't think it's anything crucial. Probably just the valves/carb/whatever. What can I do to get the title? I normally wouldn't mess with it, but hey, it's free!

Does anyone here have experience with a no-title vehicle? If so, what state did it happen in? Thanks
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 2nd, 2014, 12:29 AM   #2
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
North Carolina 2000... Got a truck from a old man, it was behind his shop. Dude didn't pay for the work that was done on it, old man kept it, old man gave me some paperwork, I filed for a lost title. Paper work and such proved it wasn't stolen or the original owners property. I drove the piss out of that ol truck, an wish I still had it.

Old December 2nd, 2014, 12:48 AM   #3
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
What kind of truck? I've got a 87 Toyota pickup and it's awesome. Trucks aren't really my style, but man is it fun to drive and it's awesome on gas

Old December 2nd, 2014, 05:01 AM   #4
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

I bought my car from a person in Rhode Island, the title was messed up (person signed it wrong and voided the whole thing). Luckily in Rhode Island you do not need a title if the car is over 10 years old, I just needed a copy of his license (which he provided to me) and I was able to get a new title.

Not sure what you would need to do, but ask your friend if he's the original owner, if he is then get down all his information, have him fill out a bill of sale (say he sold it to you for $1) and then bring that bill of sale to the RMV and tell them it's for a lost title, if that doesn't work then ask your friend to get a new title, with title fees and what not you're looking at about a $50 price tag, but it will work...

My very first car also had an issue with the title (ain't I lucky??) We bought a 98 Sebring from some dude for $220, he never had it registered since he bought it about a month before and couldn't get it to run (we got it running next day after buying). So the title was of a woman's name. Stupidly she signed the front with her maiden name and the back with her new married name.... Caused an issue at the RMV, by a miracle my father was able to contact her family on facebook and ask them to have her call him, which she did. He gave her $50 and she got a new title, signed correctly and sent to us and all was good with the world.

I never buy anything without thoroughly checking the title now. But you should be alright, especially if you know the title owner.

Old December 2nd, 2014, 08:17 AM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
it depends on how the bike was built. was it built for use on the street?

*basically* if it has a vin number, and all the lights and requirements, you just need to bring it to the dmv for inspection and paperwork and to pay the $$$, they will give you paperwork to take to a chp station to get them to inspect the vin and make sure its not stolen, then they give you some paperwork you take back to the dmv and they issue you the plates and reg, then you just put it on your insurance.

if it doesn't have a vin number, stamp your own vin, paint it, and say its a custom built scooter.

cars are an entirely other story though. for cars, it depends on if it will pass smog or not. if it will pass smog, you can basically just go register it. if it has a new frame, you register it as a custom vehicle and they give you a ton of paperwork, you go get it inspected by the bar ref, then the chp, then the dmv. you need to provide technical numbers about what the car is capable of (weight-wise- unlaiden and max load)
if it can't pass smog, you have to go with an sb100 exemption. similar process but you dont need to smog anything. they only issue 500 sb100s a year.

Old December 2nd, 2014, 05:41 PM   #6
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Mmkay, awesome. I'll update here, maybe do a build thread if it turns out to be complex or interesting. Thanks everyone!

Old December 2nd, 2014, 06:07 PM   #7
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
If it were me: too much work. Let it go. Wait for a vehicle with title.

And don't you guys have to pay back license fees (for years?) if a vehicle is not currently registered/licensed?

Also, don't buy a boat trailer from Oregon. They don't have to be titled or licensed separately from the boat. PITA to get titled in WA. Dunno about CA, but probably just as bad.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 2nd, 2014, 06:08 PM   #8
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
If I ever move to CA, Alex2 will be my go-to guy.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 2nd, 2014, 06:47 PM   #9
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Eh, even if I don't get the title I'll still have fun fixing a scooter that I can dump for like $100 on craigslist. There are a few crackheads in my area who don't care about having a title/insurance/a license etc. More of a fun timewaster than anything that's truly worthwhile.

Old December 2nd, 2014, 09:57 PM   #10
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
offroad madness on a scooter that you don't mind destroying? sounds like fun to me.

Old December 2nd, 2014, 10:39 PM   #11
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
offroad madness on a scooter that you don't mind destroying? sounds like fun to me.
Hell yeah dude. In fact, if there's no title I'll just convert it into a stand-up scooter so it'll be legal on city bike trails and stuff, and there are some great off-road trails around here. I'll make some videos. This is gonna be fun

Old December 7th, 2014, 05:21 PM   #12
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Update: Friend sold it on Craigslist. Ah well. What are you gonna do?

Old December 7th, 2014, 09:25 PM   #13
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
boooo