Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old July 13th, 2010, 08:52 PM   #1
Biker Bob
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja EX250

Towing a Trailer??

I just got back from a 5-day camping/touring trip of the Blue Ridge Parkway area. The bike was loaded with saddle bags, a tank bag, tail bag, and sleeping bag/tent roll. Plus, I weigh about 185#. I would rather not carry that much on my bike and thought a small trailer would be a better deal. Has anyone had experience with towing a small trailer with the 250? What kind of trailer (2 wheel or 1?)? How did it tow? How was the hitch connected to the bike? Thanks for any help!

Bob
Biker Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2010, 09:09 PM   #2
tjkamper
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

A motorcycle trailer hitch will attach to the swing arm. You will also need to get a lighting converter inorder to get lights back the the trailer. You're looking at a big investment and probably not very good performance with the 250 pulling a trailer. If you plan on touring or carring a lot of cargo, I would save the money from the trailer and buy touring bike.

Old July 13th, 2010, 09:36 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

I've seen motorcycles pulling trailers, and motorcycles being pulled on trailers, but I don't think I've ever seen a ninjette pulling a trailer of any kind. But I'd certainly be interested in hearing about anyone who attempts the project!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2010, 08:05 AM   #4
Flow
ninjette.org guru

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R/'10 ZX6R/'02 YZ125/'06 DRZ125L/'05 Blaster

Why not a sidecar for more stability? Also, you'd have a sidecar in case a younger family member wanted to ride.
Flow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2010, 09:35 AM   #5
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I have seen lightweight trailers for bicycles. I wonder if one of those could be modified for a motorcycle.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2010, 11:15 AM   #6
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Rick, I am very familiar with those trailers. They are limited in how much weight they can carry (usually 60 Lbs) They are also built light weight for obvious reasons. The problem that I see would be the wheels, tyres, and bearings. They are rated for a very low speed. A fully laden touring bicycle would max out at 25mph going downhill. Anything over that would smoke the wheel bearings and blow the tyres. The Ninjette tends to be a bit faster. My recommendation would be to move the rear turn signals to the license plate bracket (the wires are long enough with some ccreative rerouting) This would allow you to carry larger saddle bags like Cortech. With a large tank bag and tail bag, you should be able to take a lot of stuff.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2010, 11:57 AM   #7
TygaUSA.com
Tyga Performance

Name: TygaUSA

Motorcycle(s): Honda's!

It would be a little sketchy pulling a trailer with a 250...even tho I always over pack I try and remember to ask myself if I really need this or that...less is always better. Some of those guys on ADVrider have it down to a science, pack little but always enough to get by.
TygaUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2010, 12:14 PM   #8
Biker Bob
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks for the suggestions. All good! I do have a sidecar bike, a Ural. It can carry a ton of stuff and I have a fairly large trailer for it. But it gets about 30 +/- mpg while I got 81 mpg on my last trip on the Ninja (I have re-geared it for better highway speed and mileage). Also, it is not nearly as reliable as the Ninja (with it I carry a complete tool set). Nor, is it nearly as fast as the Ninja; it seems happiest at about 50-55 mph. I have moved my turn signals; smaller, and mounted on the side of the license tag light, so I can handle larger saddle bags. My tail bag, empty, weighs 6 pounds, so I think I'll go with a lighter, nylon bag. I'm still interested in a small lightweight trailer, but I'll make these changes in the meantime.

Thanks,
Bob

Old July 15th, 2010, 02:59 PM   #9
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Bob. I have found that when packing clothes that putting neatly folded clothes in a Zip-Loc bag and then sitting on the bag to let the air out helps conserve space. When sitting on the bag, zip it almost all the way, sit, and zip the rest of the way. Keeps things from getting wet as well. I think that fabricating a hitch would not present a problem. What I would be concerned about woild be tyres that can handle the speeds Ninja likes, and wheel bearings. If you can find a rolling chassis that adresses those two issues, you would be home free.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2010, 03:51 PM   #10
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
Bob. I have found that when packing clothes that putting neatly folded clothes in a Zip-Loc bag and then sitting on the bag to let the air out helps conserve space. When sitting on the bag, zip it almost all the way, sit, and zip the rest of the way. Keeps things from getting wet as well. I think that fabricating a hitch would not present a problem. What I would be concerned about woild be tyres that can handle the speeds Ninja likes, and wheel bearings. If you can find a rolling chassis that adresses those two issues, you would be home free.
I've used those travel "Space Bags" before (not for packing on a bike, but for packing luggage). They work pretty good. They have a one way valve so you can seal them, and then roll them to get the air out, and then lay them flat.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2010, 03:54 PM   #11
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Here's a company which sells a small motorcycle trailer. Not sure how or if it works with a sport bike, but you could probably contact the company with questions.

http://www.motorcycletrailer.com/

Old July 18th, 2010, 10:28 AM   #12
kamikaze
ex-ninjette.org guru :o

Name: Trevor

Motorcycle(s): 2003 SV1000 S

check these guys too. pretty pricey, but they look like they work well

http://www.thirdwheeltrailers.com/index.php/trailers
kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2010, 05:33 PM   #13
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

That's pretty cool.

Old July 18th, 2010, 05:47 PM   #14
Ramen
Frak It

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikaze View Post
check these guys too. pretty pricey, but they look like they work well

http://www.thirdwheeltrailers.com/index.php/trailers
Pretty neat. Unless I would touring cross country regularly, I'd have to think if it'd be cheaper to just ship the cargo.
Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2010, 01:32 PM   #15
Roostre
ninjette.org member

Name: Corey

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250,KTM 690 Enduro R, KTM300XC, XB12X Buell, 1966 Hummer 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by revstriker View Post
Here's a company which sells a small motorcycle trailer. Not sure how or if it works with a sport bike, but you could probably contact the company with questions.

http://www.motorcycletrailer.com/

Harbor Freight sells a small trailer like that for $299.

I think it would be too heavy for the Ninja 250.

My trailer that I pull behind my big bike:

It is based on the bicycle trailers and works well. I use an old mountain bike shock and spring. It does give the steering a "heavy" feel. The trailer sure beats having the weight up high on the bike.

I'm planning to build a smaller bullet-proof version for some dual sport trips I want to do. It will be a "flat bed" that I can just strap my gear to.

You have to be mindful of where you park, as backing is a bit more precarious. It is a good bit easier to pull straight out when you leave. A slight hill with a fully loaded trailer can make it tough to balance and push the rig at the same time.

Good luck
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2010, 03:53 PM   #16
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

That's an interesting looking trailer. Is that a bicycle tire on the back? If so, I'd be worried that the tire would not be able to stand up to highway speeds and distance.

Old July 19th, 2010, 04:12 PM   #17
Roostre
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250,KTM 690 Enduro R, KTM300XC, XB12X Buell, 1966 Hummer 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by revstriker View Post
That's an interesting looking trailer. Is that a bicycle tire on the back? If so, I'd be worried that the tire would not be able to stand up to highway speeds and distance.
It is actually a Honda Cub scooter front wheel. It's small demeanor worried me when I first set it up, so I bought two new tires. I've put a little over 5000 miles on the first tire with no problems and surprisingly little wear!

My guess is that it will last 20K or so. I always carry the spare and a spare tube whenever I go on a long trip. We did a 9 day 3500 mile Pacific Coast Highway trip with it last year. For a two up trip it allowed us a few luxuries such as full size pillows, folding chairs, camera equipment, a small cooler full of cold drinks. I ended up hauling a few pieces of gear from others that went with us too! It handles the more than I ever anticipated weight load very well.

Surprisingly my fuel economy with the trailer in tow is about the same as without. It was actually better on some of the long highway stretches.

Old July 19th, 2010, 08:07 PM   #18
Snake

That is a great design. That is what I invisioned when I mentioned modifying a bycicle trailer.

Old July 19th, 2010, 10:00 PM   #19
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostre View Post
It is actually a Honda Cub scooter front wheel. It's small demeanor worried me when I first set it up, so I bought two new tires. I've put a little over 5000 miles on the first tire with no problems and surprisingly little wear!

My guess is that it will last 20K or so. I always carry the spare and a spare tube whenever I go on a long trip. We did a 9 day 3500 mile Pacific Coast Highway trip with it last year. For a two up trip it allowed us a few luxuries such as full size pillows, folding chairs, camera equipment, a small cooler full of cold drinks. I ended up hauling a few pieces of gear from others that went with us too! It handles the more than I ever anticipated weight load very well.

Surprisingly my fuel economy with the trailer in tow is about the same as without. It was actually better on some of the long highway stretches.
Sounds great!

Old July 20th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #20
min nin
ninjette.org member

Name: terry

Motorcycle(s): 2007 250r

155 LBS. about half the weight of a ninja. Kinda scary
min nin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2010, 08:01 PM   #21
road_rascal
ninjette.org member

Name: ___

Motorcycle(s): ___

Quote:
Originally Posted by min nin View Post
The tongue weight should only be around 24lbs if I remember Trailer Loading 101 (15% gross weight). I may be wrong though.
road_rascal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2010, 08:22 PM   #22
Roostre
ninjette.org member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by min nin View Post
You definitely want to scale it to the bike. I wouldn't have more than 100 lbs total on a 250 Ninja.

Something more like these:
http://www.trailtail.com/specs.html

Old July 21st, 2010, 09:06 AM   #23
Snake

Now that is a great product. That would fit the need perfectly.
Great video showing the product and perfect theme music. The Man In Black

http://www.trailtail.com/download/trailer_video.wmv

Old August 11th, 2010, 08:02 PM   #24
Biker Bob
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas. For the near future traveling, I've down sized everything: polyester clothes instead of cotton (where possible)(smaller to pack and can take fewer as I can wash out and dry overnight), smaller tent, lighter nylon tail bag, some compression bags (from ebay), sleeping pad instead of air mattress and pump, and only the bare necessities. This should help a lot. For the long term I going to check into either buying or making one of those trail tail type trailers. All good ideas! Thanks a million.

Bob