ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 27th, 2011, 08:48 PM   #1
Shaol1n Monk
shaol1n ninja stuntman

Name: Jae

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha YZF R6 Anniversary "Yoshiko" 2007 Honda CBR600RR "Katsumi"(SOLD) 2010 Ninja ZX-2R "JADE" (RIP)

What performance mods can I do on a Fuel Injected 2010?

So I cant re jet the carbs obviously so jet kits are out. I have a slip on exhaust, if i put a full exhaust on and K&N air filter then I'm told i'll need to add a power commander to make everything run properly.

Even if i just add the air filter im gonna need to drop 300+ on the Power commander.

alot of the performance mods i see on here are regarding a carburated engine. if there are some mods for the FI could someone please point me in the right direction? Im not trying to go crazy and spend a ton of money (im saving for a track bike), but i'd like to do a few little things to add a lil HP.

does anyone know of a cheaper brand of the power commander? i saw a nitroX on ebay but couldnt find one for the 250.

thanks

Old July 27th, 2011, 10:43 PM   #2
Shaol1n Monk
shaol1n ninja stuntman

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha YZF R6 Anniversary "Yoshiko" 2007 Honda CBR600RR "Katsumi"(SOLD) 2010 Ninja ZX-2R "JADE" (RIP)

so after doing some research it looks like the Power Commander V 17-001 is the one for a FI Ninja 250R.

Old July 28th, 2011, 07:25 AM   #3
Madchild
Ninja Racer

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha R6, 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 07 Aprilia SR50 Factory

where did you get a FI NINJA?
CRA #23 - 2011 Sponsors: Cheng's Dynasty, Motoprimo, Studio299.com, Michelin, Syderleatherworks, Woodcraft, Vortex, Scorpion Helmet (USA), 24/7
Madchild is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2011, 08:20 AM   #4
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Name: Hyon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaol1n Monk View Post
What performance mods can I do on a Fuel Injected 2010
Quote:
EXPLAIN YOURSELF!
Honko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2011, 09:43 AM   #5
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

FI??????
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2011, 09:45 AM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I went searching for the thread where he must have explained getting a FI one. And I can't find one! So we need one.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2011, 09:55 AM   #7
DjDiablo
ninjette.org member

Name: Djalma

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250R 2010 - FI - Blue

So... FI... I got one auhauhauah... Well I am from brasil sooo... And this is what we do he air filter eexhaust sistem and Iridium spark plugs... that should get u a weeli when u get off the stop lights... aboute the power command i think is a good thing but we not use it all the times on the bikes over here in brasil... but i recomend that if u got the money get it!!!
DjDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2011, 10:02 AM   #8
Shaol1n Monk
shaol1n ninja stuntman

I bought my 2010 250R about 3 months ago. When I bought it at the dealership the salesman told me "you can use any type of gas, its got fuel injection so you can use the cheap stuff". being new to working with engines in general I didnt really pay it much mind. I have been working under the assumption that to do air filters etc i would need to rejet the carbs. Then last nite i was talking to a friend who owns a gsxr and recently installed a power commander and he said "rejet what? ur bike is fuel injected isnt it? you need a power commander, you dont have carbs" and i thought about what the salesman said.

so again i am a noob with engines so help me out. im looking for my owners manual now. do i have carbs? FI? both?

aside from a slip on exhaust all my mods have been cosmetic. i am looking into performance mods now so i need to figure this out.

thanks for ur help and patience with the new guy.

Old July 28th, 2011, 10:07 AM   #9
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

If you bought it in the US, it's got carbs. The FI model is only in a few overseas markets. (Japan, parts of Europe, parts of South America, etc.)

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old July 28th, 2011, 10:10 AM   #10
kaiserz

You got us all excited there.
As far as I know, all northamerican ninja 250's are carb bikes, so having a FI bike makes you one of a kind, special, and we're just pretty much "envious" that you got a FI bike and we didn't, and our initial reaction was "WHAT???" "HOW???" "WHY????"

Anyway if you do really have a one of a kind FI ninja250, then you're very lucky.

Also one question, do you have any choke on your bike? if you do, then your bike is a carb bike not FI, cause correct me if I'm wrong, only carb bikes uses "choke"

Old July 28th, 2011, 10:12 AM   #11
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjDiablo View Post
So... FI... I got one auhauhauah... Well I am from brasil sooo... And this is what we do he air filter eexhaust sistem and Iridium spark plugs... that should get u a weeli when u get off the stop lights... aboute the power command i think is a good thing but we not use it all the times on the bikes over here in brasil... but i recomend that if u got the money get it!!!

Old July 28th, 2011, 10:12 AM   #12
DjDiablo
ninjette.org member

Like I said here in brasil WE got FI... Mosta part of the time we only do the mod i told u... Each is good as hell i can go about 180km/h what shoud be something like 112 M/h... if i wanted to go faster than this i would buy a 650cc.

But if u realy got a FI just get the air filter a exhaust sitem (not just the silencer) and the Iridium spark plugs.

Old July 28th, 2011, 10:14 AM   #13
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserz View Post
As far as I know, all northamerican ninja 250's are carb bikes, so having a FI bike makes you one of a kind, special, and we're just pretty much "envious" that you got a FI bike and we didn't, and our initial reaction was "WHAT???" "HOW???" "WHY????"

Anyway if you do really have a one of a kind FI ninja250, then you're very lucky.

Also one question, do you have any choke on your bike? if you do then your bike is a carb bike, not FI, cause correct me if I'm wrong, only carb bikes uses "choke"
Yeahp. FI's don't need choke because I don't know.

Old July 28th, 2011, 10:16 AM   #14
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Choke=carb=jet-kit=$100 more or less.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2011, 10:17 AM   #15
Shaol1n Monk
shaol1n ninja stuntman

yea, my bad guys. im looking thru my manual and theres nothing about fuel injection. i was under the impression it was carbed since i bought it, but then talking w my friend last nite made me think about what the salesman said. apparently the salesman was an idiot
so i can go back to my original plan for air filter and jet kit and dont need to spend 400 on a PC

can i just delete this thread and hide my noob shame now???

Old July 28th, 2011, 10:19 AM   #16
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
yea, my bad guys. im looking thru my manual and theres nothing about fuel injection. i was under the impression it was carbed since i bought it, but then talking w my friend last nite made me think about what the salesman said. apparently the salesman was an idiot
so i can go back to my original plan for air filter and jet kit and dont need to spend 400 on a PC

There is no shame in learning something new

Old July 28th, 2011, 10:19 AM   #17
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Also one question, do you have any choke on your bike? if you do, then your bike is a carb bike not FI, cause correct me if I'm wrong, only carb bikes uses "choke"
This is mostly accurate, but a number of FI bikes still have a fast-idle lever in the same exact location performing the same basic function (making the bike easier to start and warm up quickly). The more modern FI systems have done away with the need for even that, but they aren't extinct yet.

Old July 28th, 2011, 10:21 AM   #18
DjDiablo
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Quote:

Also one question, do you have any choke on your bike? if you do then your bike is a carb bike, not FI, cause correct me if I'm wrong, only carb bikes uses "choke"
Yeahp. FI's don't need choke because I don't know.
Choke is for when the motor is cool so us keep puting more gas in to it so is does not die on u (keeps the RPM on a good range)... than when the motor is hot u turn it off so u dont waste too much gas...

Old July 28th, 2011, 10:26 AM   #19
DjDiablo
ninjette.org member

Quote:
This is mostly accurate, but a number of FI bikes still have a fast-idle lever in the same exact location performing the same basic function (making the bike easier to start and warm up quickly). The more modern FI systems have done away with the need for even that, but they aren't extinct yet.
Well all I do on my bike is turn it on and it has a sensor that defines the RPM that the bike needs to heat it up... as soon as it is warm I lowers the RPM and than is good to go (takes about 2 min for it to warm up on normals days)

Old July 28th, 2011, 10:27 AM   #20
kaiserz

What performance mods can I do on a Fuel Injected 2010?
We all started as "newbies" before, and that's why we have this forum so we can learn, and gain knowledge.

Anyway back to the topic

I would say it would be the same as a carb bike, minus the hassle of jetting your carbs.

If you want performance MODS:
Try removing your snorkel http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10090

you can also do this (airbox delete, + airfilters)
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11899

get a full exhaust system, don't get a slip-on("arguably" slip-ons are just sound farkles)

Spark plugs sounds good like DjDiablo said, but I think I would skip that first, cause you might mess something up(haven't really gotten myself to read about sparkplugs, but i heard they do make a difference)

And of course a power commander

Old July 28th, 2011, 10:29 AM   #21
kaiserz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Thank you sir, I learned something new today (:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjDiablo View Post
Well all I do on my bike is turn it on and it has a sensor that defines the RPM that the bike needs to heat it up... as soon as it is warm I lowers the RPM and than is good to go (takes about 2 min for it to warm up on normals days)
LUCKY -.-;

Old July 28th, 2011, 10:34 AM   #22
DjDiablo
ninjette.org member

I got Iridion Spark plugs on my bike... Makes it sound diferent... add some power on low RPM... I did not do it my self cause u need to know to tight the sparks or you will brake it... with air filter is great combo!!!

Old July 28th, 2011, 03:16 PM   #23
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

Name: L

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R, '13 CBR500R

Quote:

i chuckled a bit, but there's no shame in being noob. everybody's a noob at one point.
gt_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2012, 12:50 PM   #24
micoulisninja
modaholic junkie

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2001 ZX-12R, 2009 ninja 345cc and plenty of others in the past...

my friends, I've been in thorough research on what works and what doesn't work on the FI model... I own the fastest and most modified non-nitrous 250 in europe and I can tell a few tested engine mods... but the thing is... they are costly AND they don't deliver the expected power...

for starters I reccomend removing the ecu controlled (second) butterflies, Kleen system and airbox modifications (snorkel removal is not a modification for the FI model !! instead it creates a huge "valley" in the torque curve betwwen 3000 and 6000 rpm...)

I am about to make a presentation of the engine mods on my FI 250...
micoulisninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #25
wch5274
ninjette.org member

Name: amir

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

I wonder if we can use the new ninja 300cc block into old ninja 250cc.. just plug n play

from youtube, they got 39hp (EFI) = 185kmh while the old 250cc (EFI) around 32hp (if not mistaken).. like to remind you, for asia carb version (250) the speedometer reading read more than 10kmh compare with EFI version. This already tested many times from their ninja 250r forum... so 162kmh run at EFI = 175kmh for carb version ~ 100mph... this is 2008 ~ 2012 version

so, for 300cc getting 185kmh ~ 115mph.. and without exhaust mode (may be), thats really tempting... hope it can be done n the price also cheaper.. need to wait indonesian guy do the mode.. they have a lot of craziest modded ninja 250... & most of them really beautiful...
wch5274 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2012, 02:32 AM   #26
micoulisninja
modaholic junkie

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2001 ZX-12R, 2009 ninja 345cc and plenty of others in the past...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wch5274 View Post
I wonder if we can use the new ninja 300cc block into old ninja 250cc.. just plug n play

from youtube, they got 39hp (EFI) = 185kmh while the old 250cc (EFI) around 32hp (if not mistaken).. like to remind you, for asia carb version (250) the speedometer reading read more than 10kmh compare with EFI version. This already tested many times from their ninja 250r forum... so 162kmh run at EFI = 175kmh for carb version ~ 100mph... this is 2008 ~ 2012 version

so, for 300cc getting 185kmh ~ 115mph.. and without exhaust mode (may be), thats really tempting... hope it can be done n the price also cheaper.. need to wait indonesian guy do the mode.. they have a lot of craziest modded ninja 250... & most of them really beautiful...

Amir the block is the same (in size that is) so the only useful upgrades to take from a 300 are the throttle bodies (or bigger carbs) and the larger stroke crankshaft... bore is the same at 62mm and so rests the head, valves etc... don't know yet if the cams give a bit more lift (forget about duration, the 300 has a rev limit of 13k...)
micoulisninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2012, 08:57 AM   #27
wch5274
ninjette.org member

Name: amir

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by micoulisninja View Post
Amir the block is the same (in size that is) so the only useful upgrades to take from a 300 are the throttle bodies (or bigger carbs) and the larger stroke crankshaft... bore is the same at 62mm and so rests the head, valves etc... don't know yet if the cams give a bit more lift (forget about duration, the 300 has a rev limit of 13k...)
i did compare specification of ninja 250 efi version with new 300cc efi..
u're right.. the different from what i read are longer stroke & throttle bodies..
the 250 use 28 of diameter meanwhile 300 use 32mm.. not sure other item like ECU setting (should be autotune) and cams but i hope swapping this item not cost as much as using full system with pcv which still max gain only 5hp (if lucky) ..

specification as below
http://www.kawasaki.co.uk/Ninja300/Specifications

http://www.kawasaki.com.my/productpa...=126&year=2010
wch5274 is offline   Reply With Quote