ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 27th, 2012, 08:11 PM   #1
DBentley415
ninjette.org member

Name: Kayla

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250

May have just made a very expensive trip to the gas station....

Ever since this spring, when I took my ninja out of storage, I have had a problem getting my key to fit into the gas tank mechanism. Rather than fixing it, I just struggled with it until today when I went to the gas station and couldn't get it open. Some guy came to help me, and went back to his car to get something to lube it up. He came back with some brake fluid and as a noob to everything and anything brake fluid related, I let him put about a half cap full of it on the mechanism and after working it around for a little bit, my key worked again, and I was able to fill my bike up with gas. Afterwords, I googled information on brake fluid only to find out it is very corrosive. I cleaned off my key, but don't know if there is any way to clean the inside of the mechanism. Worst case, I guess I just replace it

*In paradise there ain't no clocks...*
DBentley415 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2012, 08:17 PM   #2
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Name: Byron

Motorcycle(s): Ninja ex250 1990

yea careful that stuff will eat through paint, melt plastics, and etc.

maybe get some carb cleaner and spray it in the mechanism to get the brake fluid out. Then afterwards take it apart and relube it.

Old July 27th, 2012, 08:38 PM   #3
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

There are 2 different diaphragms and an o-ring inside the gas cap, all which are very thin. The brake fluid may damage all of them. The best thing to do is to remove the gas cap assembly, remove the lock assembly on the bottom and clean as much brake fluid out as possible. Plain water will remove brake fluid without much damage, just don't wipe it, daub it up. The key cylinder can be removed and replaced, but you need some really small tools to do it. I would not recommend you do it unless you're highly skilled. If the gas cap fails to whine or vent properly, the rubber diaphragms have been melted and are no longer flexing like they should. Gas cap replacement is recommended at that point.

Follow this gas cap mod to disassemble the cap and clean out any left over brake fluid.

To re-lube, do not put powdered graphite or spray anything inside the key hole. It will eventually seep past the o-ring and pool on the diaphragm. Put the lube on the key and insert the key several times working the pins & tumblers.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2012, 06:27 AM   #4
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Kwak Ninja 250 and 1998 Yamaha YZ400F

You really let a stranger, put brake fluid somewhere on your bike? Oh. My. God.

Yes, brake fluid is HIGHLY corrosive. I should show you pictures of what it did to my bike's cover because I left some spilled fluid residue sitting on my brake caliper and line of my last bike.

What I'd be highly concerned with is if some of it made it into your fuel. I'd drain that tank of its fuel and while you're at it now is a great time to install a fuel filter.
dirty nasty is offline   Reply With Quote