ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 28th, 2012, 12:09 PM   #1
Harrison89
ninjette.org member

Name: Harrison

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Noob Tire question

Hey all,

I have looked but I am still getting to understand bikes and what works and what doesnt. Im looking at getting the perilli diablo rosso ii for my 250. If I got just the rear tire would that hurt the handling or performance of the bike with a stock front?

I only ask this because I really only need a new back tire at the moment.

Sorry if I over looked this somewhere but I know you guys know what your talking about.
Harrison89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2012, 12:49 PM   #2
beerhalffull
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09' Ninja 250R

Riders always recommend replacing the front IF it's the stock tire. Why? I don't know exactly, but it's the most common response. Once you do replace them both at the same time the front usually lasts twice as long as the rear. I just replaced both my stock tires earlier today after 11,000 miles. The front looked decent while the rear was down to the wear bars. I figured I'd rather pay the extra $90 for the front rather than downing the bike for some reason and paying much more later.

You can grab a new front for $90-$110 shipped from Motorcycle-Superstore.com
beerhalffull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2012, 12:59 PM   #3
xSean13
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Definitely get some tires this weekend, all the online stores seem to be having discounts. Just basing that on the 400 emails within the last week I've gotten from them.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2012, 09:44 AM   #4
rceezy
Lean Me

Name: RC

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Put on my Rosso II's yesterday and they are amazing. I would definitely recommend them. I would replace both at the same time. The stock tires ride like concrete blocks compared to the Rosso's. And, that is my noobie nobody impression.
rceezy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2012, 10:07 AM   #5
R1Chronicles
Rambling Madman

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): R1 07

If you can afford it, replace both. The two different types of rubber will have different characteristics.

If your just leisure riding, you can get away with with two different tires. I've had to do it many times when I was younger, sometimes grabbing used tires out of the bike shop dumpster.

PS. No sense in getting a "perilli diablo rosso ii" for the back if your leaving the front stock.
R1Chronicles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2012, 10:48 AM   #6
EsrTek
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison89 View Post
Hey all,

I have looked but I am still getting to understand bikes and what works and what doesnt. Im looking at getting the perilli diablo rosso ii for my 250. If I got just the rear tire would that hurt the handling or performance of the bike with a stock front?

I only ask this because I really only need a new back tire at the moment.

Sorry if I over looked this somewhere but I know you guys know what your talking about.
I believe you will actually HAVE TO change both at once in this case!!!!
Not only because the stock tires stink.. the stock tires are Bias-Ply and the Rosso II's are Radials.
Mixing the 2 different types is NOT a good idea.

Keep the stock tires on until you can change both out.

If you really need to replace the rear now, I have a pirelli sport demon rear (stock size), which is Bias-Ply, as my spare. Still in really good shape w/ about 2.5k on it. I could let it go for $50 picked up.
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #7
Harrison89
ninjette.org member

Name: Harrison

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by rceezy View Post
Put on my Rosso II's yesterday and they are amazing. I would definitely recommend them. I would replace both at the same time. The stock tires ride like concrete blocks compared to the Rosso's. And, that is my noobie nobody impression.
Haha. Whats a good site to get them from? Did you do a 140 back?
Harrison89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2012, 06:07 PM   #8
rceezy
Lean Me

Name: RC

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison89 View Post
Haha. Whats a good site to get them from? Did you do a 140 back?
I got mine from motorcycle-superstore.com. And yes, I put a 140 on the back. Rides like new. I promise you will enjoy them. The stock tires felt like bricks compared to these things. I can't wait to actually get them up to speed. I mainly scrubbed them around the neighborhood at 30 mph so I won't really get to do some real testing until later this week.

Good luck.
rceezy is offline   Reply With Quote