Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Videos

Old September 9th, 2012, 07:38 PM   #1
wayanlam
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Wayan

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Z250

Favorite GoPro mounting positions

Hi all,

so i just got my Gopro H2 yesterday evening! pity cos i went on a nice bike ride around the island. went up north solo, then came back south with a friend who has an R6. was a good ride, but didn't get to record it cos i got the camera after i got back home, lol

anyhow, i was wondering where everyone is placing their cameras? i stuck a sticky mount on the top of my helmet, sorta looks funny having the camera sat on top there, but it seems to get the best point of view.

is this sticky patch strong? will it cope with high wind speeds (75-95 mph-ish well sorta relative to the bike/rider, for me that's fast, rofl)

i tried using the suction cup on the gas tank, but it came off the first couple times that i put it on, third time it stuck on quite well, but now im a little worried that it could fly off... i think im gonna use a safety chord to tie the camera to something in case it does fall off!

im gonna get a solo cowl to replace the stock back seat, and try mounting the camera on there too, both to face it forward (like the moto GP ass-cam) and to face it back also~ but since im not ducked down race style that much... i wonder if it would even capture anything other than my ass and back when faced forward. could try placing it off center when facing it fwd i guess.

anyhow, if anyone has pictures (or if there is already a thread on this..?) id be interested to see what everyone else has found to be their favorite mounting positions

i found this website:
http://www.pashnit.com/product/gopro..._mounting.html
but would still like to hear 1st hand about others riding the ninja 2fiddy with the gopro (or any other cam too of course!).

peace out~
W

Old September 9th, 2012, 07:41 PM   #2
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Windshield, gas tank, side fairings, rear fairing
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2012, 07:48 PM   #3
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

i first had mine on the gas tank but now its on top of my helmet. yes the mount is strong enough i had it on today and i hit top speed.
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #4
BFisher244
Ninja Noob

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R Candy Plasma Blue

chest harness
BFisher244 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #5
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

I mounted my piece of S%#T 20$ camera just below the headlight. here are the results. I'm sure your go pro will fare better in the same location... Give it a try? Also, I found this pretty nifty mount. Good luck!!!

Old September 9th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #6
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Your gna need this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i00
AFM #676

Old September 9th, 2012, 08:07 PM   #7
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

Doggystyle.

Old September 9th, 2012, 08:48 PM   #8
wayanlam

that handlebar mount looks nice!

gonna see if i can fab something up simmilar to that. i got the tripod mount adapter for the gopro, so if i can get a platform, it would be easy to fix the cam to it.

just need an adapter between the handlebar and my tripod camera bit actually, i have a ball head piece thing like this on my tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych0hans View Post
I mounted my piece of S%#T 20$ camera just below the headlight. here are the results. I'm sure your go pro will fare better in the same location... Give it a try? Also, I found this pretty nifty mount. Good luck!!!

Old September 9th, 2012, 08:52 PM   #9
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
nononono stay away from the handlebars. They vibrate way too much and make your video all wavy. You definitely want to be on something more solid like the gas tank or front of the windshield.
AFM #676

Old September 9th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #10
wayanlam

strange, i rotated the picture in photobucket, but it still comes out sideways...

so thats the helmet cam, gonna have to see how that works out on my next bike ride.

this was yesterday~ got to a friends house for lunch, then we headed back south through the mountains. was good fun, with the big R6 he had no chance to keep up with me on the twisties, i kept having to stop and wait for him... yeah, stop, not just slow down, hehe...

but hmmm... when we hit the highway i was sorta left behind in his rear view mirror, but i dont care much about straight line performance. getting down on the twisties is way more fun!

Old September 9th, 2012, 09:04 PM   #11
wayanlam

u-oh... ok! ill take your advice and save me wasting time on that and getting disappointed!

will try out the helmet cam, the tank cam, and rear seat cam once i get a solo cowl thinggy to replace the ear seat.

thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
nononono stay away from the handlebars. They vibrate way too much and make your video all wavy. You definitely want to be on something more solid like the gas tank or front of the windshield.

Old September 9th, 2012, 09:06 PM   #12
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Also you want to try use positions that have the gopro as close to the mounting point as possible. All those little extenders add to the vibration of the camera, too much vibration and your videos turn to poop
AFM #676

Old September 9th, 2012, 09:10 PM   #13
wayanlam

a thought ive had was to make a harness to fix the camera on my tank bag actually. that would perch it up to a nice height, and the bag absorbs a lot of the vibrations. just need to figure out a practical way to do it!

Old September 9th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #14
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
That would be perfect though it may be difficult to find a way to keep the gopro solidly mounted. I've found that the helmet mount tends to be the least "vibraty"
AFM #676

Old September 9th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #15
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Wayan, I haven't seen your bike in a while. Looks tons better than last time I saw it

anyhow, my favorite spots for camera mounting are on the tail looking forward (gets a great view of your BP, and on the tank looking through the windscreen. The tank is nice and steady, even over bumps. Only the really big stuff gets noticed on the video. Once I get a GoPro this winter to replace my dead camera, I'll put a sticky on my ninjette's tail.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2012, 09:40 PM   #16
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayanlam View Post
that handlebar mount looks nice!

That isn't a handlebar mount. It's a stem nut mount, hence shouldn't have the same amount of vibrations as the handlebars... Also let's you get into a full tuck while having the camera mounted... Only if it were cheaper... Lol

Old September 9th, 2012, 09:43 PM   #17
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by psych0hans View Post
That isn't a handlebar mount. It's a stem nut mount, hence shouldn't have the same amount of vibrations as the handlebars... Also let's you get into a full tuck while having the camera mounted... Only if it were cheaper... Lol
Anything connected directly to the front wheel will vibrate like a mother ****er
AFM #676

Old September 9th, 2012, 11:07 PM   #18
wayanlam

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Wayan, I haven't seen your bike in a while. Looks tons better than last time I saw it
thanks! yeah, i never got round to finishing off the "street fighter mod" thread that i started ages ago, lol

i sorta fell off the ninjette radar, was too busy with work to really follow up the forum, and even to go on any nice bike rides.

on top of it, the PayPal fail also annoyed me, and sadly ive had to turn down several requests from fellow ninjette users for the Koso RX2 kit, since payment is a hassle without Paypal

anyhow, im gonna try and spend a little more time riding i hope (before the raining season sets in...) and try to get some clips in with the GoPro, to show how crazy the roads are here

Old September 10th, 2012, 09:41 AM   #19
wayanlam

http://youtu.be/rcqlepTJxCk

video is still uploading... our epicly slow connection doesn't like this 1Gb file much!

night drive back home from dinner

just testing out the helmet cam. changed the angle a little from the 1st test, which was facing down too much. seems to be just about right now.

will have to wait and see how it works out when im leaning down more during a faster paced ride~

Old September 10th, 2012, 07:39 PM   #20
wayanlam

the GoPro packaging comes with a plated bracket. im gonna use that to try and fix the camera to my tank bag,

Old September 10th, 2012, 07:53 PM   #21
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Worth a shot, just got to make it sturdy enough that small bumps don't move it around. The bag will easily absorb all the engine vibrations
AFM #676

Old September 11th, 2012, 01:48 AM   #22
wayanlam

if this isnt sturdy enough... i dont know what would be, lol

need to go home and pile on some double tape and fix it down to the plywood and then back to another test

Old September 11th, 2012, 04:17 AM   #23
wayanlam

ok, so what is an easy, free and straight forward program that i can download to resize video?

i tried to upload the full HD 10 minute clip that was over a GB, and after 12 hours... my internet crashed, and the upload died at around 90%....... fail....

so i want to upload smaller files now, ha ha...

RE-EDIT: tried virtualdub, and vidcrop, both dont accept the format from the GoPro cam so i still need help, lol

and my quickie "mod" to mount the GoPro to the tank bag seems to work! gonna test it tomorrow on my way to work~ see if it vibrates or POV is good from there.

i have noticed that the camera latch that fits to the various bits is a little loose, both on my helmet, and this bracket on the tank bag allows the camera to wobble a little... hope that doesn't translate into heavy vibrations.

Old September 11th, 2012, 09:39 AM   #24
wayanlam

finally found a video converter! scaled it down to 720p. took the size down from 1.2Gb, to 160mb

used AVS Video Converter.

uploading the boring 1st video onto youtube now.
http://youtu.be/lugtAjqhOSM

gonna test the tank-bag cam tomorrow, he he

Old September 11th, 2012, 10:43 AM   #25
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Use gopro cineform or windows live movie maker both free
AFM #676

Old September 11th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #26
wayanlam

got the "free" version of AVS~

anyhow, i tested the tank bag setup, and bah... its totally wobbly and rattly. the quick release bit really does not sit properly, it allows the camera to move at least 2mm back and forth. i cant imagine that this should be happening, i would have thought that it should be a tight and solid mount once i clip it in... instead, on both my helmet, and this tank bag mount, the camera is able to move a lot.

another annoying thing i noticed, is that when i turn on my camera, it wont start up with the video camera, i have tried changing this on the settings, when i select the video camera, it boots up on the camera, when i select the camera, it boots up on the burst mode, when i select burst it boots up on time lapse... but when i select time lapse, it does boot up on the time lapse mode. so i have no way to make it boot up on the video, so every time i turn the GoPro on... i have to cycle through till i get the video mode, which is quite simply put... bloody annoying.

anyone know if this is possible to fix with a firmware update or something?

so to resolve the tank bag mount issue, im gonna put the camera on there with my tripod ball mount bit. this also gives me full control to adjust the camera in any direction. it shouldn't shake as much, and definitely should not rattle.

well... the camera disappointed me a little today with these issues, but day time recording quality isn't bad at least

peace out~

Old September 11th, 2012, 07:13 PM   #27
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

your gopro works great at night, mine is poop at night :/

and u said u got the free version of avs? like the non activated version? i got that and it put a stupid ass water mark in the middle of my videos
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #28
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayanlam View Post
got the "free" version of AVS~

anyhow, i tested the tank bag setup, and bah... its totally wobbly and rattly. the quick release bit really does not sit properly, it allows the camera to move at least 2mm back and forth. i cant imagine that this should be happening, i would have thought that it should be a tight and solid mount once i clip it in... instead, on both my helmet, and this tank bag mount, the camera is able to move a lot.

another annoying thing i noticed, is that when i turn on my camera, it wont start up with the video camera, i have tried changing this on the settings, when i select the video camera, it boots up on the camera, when i select the camera, it boots up on the burst mode, when i select burst it boots up on time lapse... but when i select time lapse, it does boot up on the time lapse mode. so i have no way to make it boot up on the video, so every time i turn the GoPro on... i have to cycle through till i get the video mode, which is quite simply put... bloody annoying.

anyone know if this is possible to fix with a firmware update or something?

so to resolve the tank bag mount issue, im gonna put the camera on there with my tripod ball mount bit. this also gives me full control to adjust the camera in any direction. it shouldn't shake as much, and definitely should not rattle.

well... the camera disappointed me a little today with these issues, but day time recording quality isn't bad at least

peace out~
I think the issue is the plastic mount you have choosen, the one with that little arm does fit well, try the regular mount.

And if you check the instructions you can set the camera up so when you turn it on it automaticaly starts recording, best option IMO
AFM #676

Old September 11th, 2012, 07:47 PM   #29
wayanlam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Lemon View Post
your gopro works great at night, mine is poop at night :/

and u said u got the free version of avs? like the non activated version? i got that and it put a stupid ass water mark in the middle of my videos
urr by "free" i meant... thepiratebay.se

and yeah, the result wasn't bad considering it was night and dark (barely any street lights around here). so there is a lot of dark then bright headlight situations.

Old September 11th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #30
wayanlam

Quote:
I think the issue is the plastic mount you have choosen, the one with that little arm does fit well, try the regular mount.

And if you check the instructions you can set the camera up so when you turn it on it automaticaly starts recording, best option IMO
ill test out the shorter arm out, but that one might be too low on my helmet mount, might end up with a lot of helmet on the lower portion of the screen.

for the tank bag im gonna try out the tripod solution with the tripod adapter:

since i like the option of easily flipping the camera around and caving it back wards

Old September 11th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #31
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Yea you put the mount in the wrong place on your helmet
AFM #676

Old September 11th, 2012, 08:15 PM   #32
wayanlam

Quote:
Yea you put the mount in the wrong place on your helmet
the front of my helmet folds up, so i had to place it back enough so that the visor doesnt hit the camera mount when i fold it up. also there is an air duct thing... so i had to place it even further back!

Old September 11th, 2012, 08:21 PM   #33
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Well we all have to make sacrifices. I've got mounts on my shoei but not my schuberth
AFM #676

Old September 11th, 2012, 11:05 PM   #34
wayanlam

ha ha... three little pieces of duct-tape fixed the rattle, and excessive vibrations that i was getting from the loose fitting clip.

results look much better now, but i need to download the files to my computer later at home and see how it is on a proper screen.

duct-tape FTW!

u-oh.... You Have 15,290 Unread Posts just noticed that, ha ha...

Last futzed with by wayanlam; September 12th, 2012 at 12:07 AM.
wayanlam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2012, 09:14 AM   #35
wayanlam

http://youtu.be/cLJV3SRlmAQ

daytime on the tank bag.

not really happy with the amount of shake im getting. will have to figure something else out, lol

Old September 14th, 2012, 09:31 AM   #36
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

I use a gas tank mount and haven't had any issues. obviously won't work with a tank bag though.

the only other thing I had looked into, was taking off one of the windshield fasteners and attaching the top of one of those pivoting mini tripods through there. I don't know if that's an option with your streetfighter look.

btw, did you ever make a thread or any posts on that streetfigher look? i dig, and would like to know more about it.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2012, 05:31 PM   #37
wayanlam

im gonna test out the suction cup mount at some point, see if that is any better. but that means that i cant use my tank bag during my rides

and about modding my bike, yeah, i did make a post about it, lost of in process pics

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=82775

hope you enjoy it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
I use a gas tank mount and haven't had any issues. obviously won't work with a tank bag though.

the only other thing I had looked into, was taking off one of the windshield fasteners and attaching the top of one of those pivoting mini tripods through there. I don't know if that's an option with your streetfighter look.

btw, did you ever make a thread or any posts on that streetfigher look? i dig, and would like to know more about it.

Old September 14th, 2012, 06:14 PM   #38
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Stick it to the windshield
AFM #676

Old September 15th, 2012, 10:53 AM   #39
wayanlam

the windshield on my bike is way too shaky, its bolted onto the front of my bike on a couple slightly light weight pieces of metal, lol

gonna test out the suction cup on my tank and see how that goes. also just saw that youtube can smooth out bumpy videos for me... just noticed it on my video manager, they suggested to smooth it out and its improved a lot.

so ill just do that with all the movies i upload!

but i have another strange problem it seems... the camera makes a rattly sound when its in the waterproof casing and gets shaken up. i took 2 short clips (still uploading), one with me shaking the camera without the case, and another with... there is a huge difference, and i cant figure out whats making the rattling noise. i don't hear anything rattle until i watch the actual video. anyone have an idea?

btw, the camera only starts up on photo mode if i hold the power button down too long. thought i had to hold down the power button for a long time to start it up, but a quick push starts it up too, and then its always on movie mode, yay!

but urgh... the rattle ruined the videos that i took today~ and im not sure what to do about it.... might try a different housing maybe??

then there was another sound too, like rain, but i think that's because i forgot to remove the protective film on the backing, and it must have rustled about in the wind. video also uploading still.

learning new things every day, he he

sleepy time now

Old September 15th, 2012, 12:29 PM   #40
miss_syn
my hair matches my bike

Name: Tiffany

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red 250r

I slapped mine on the side fairing, right above the slit on the flat section of the fairing. Not too sure about the fairings o your fairings.

Well, there was minimal vibrating, I enjoyed getting the lean angle in the video, and there was only a bit visible.

This is an older video before I tweaked the positioning. A bit of those nose is visible but... I don't mind.
miss_syn is offline   Reply With Quote