ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old April 20th, 2016, 10:11 AM   #1
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Thumbs up Rydewear metal helmet quick release

I had one of those quick release buckles for my helmet, I don't remember which one, but it was plastic. Last week it broke while I was taking my helmet off, this made me think...... How good was it ?

So I did some searching and found this

http://www.rydewear.com/collections/...-quick-release

Quote:
Put safety and convenience first with this patented motorcycle Helmet Quick Release for your helmet's chin strap switch between your helmets for life. Attaches easily to most all helmets no sewing - full aluminum strongest light weight quick release made (will not rust) fits all straps 3/4 7/8 and 1 inch wide

Our products ship via US First Class Mail 2-4 Days with tracking (We do offer other services)
Free USA Shipping Small Charge For Non USA
Once added to the cart you may Choose to check out with PayPal or any type of credit Card with our shopping cart

Once you simply attach and adjust it once only this Quick Release its just simple push button on/off for life even with gloves on.
IMPORTANT: If you have a strap de flapping button on the end of your strap you will have to simply just pop it off with a butter knife - it is no longer needed with this quick release as it comes with a slide that stops your strap from slapping and nicely tucks it away only have to set it once adjust to your likening and that's all.
NOTE: Simply hooks on to your D-Ring Fabric loop - please check that you can fit one or two pencils in your loop that holds on the D-rings MAKE SURE YOU PURCHACE WITH NO BUTTON STRAP then you can simply attach this Helmet quick release - Note : If for some reason you have a lot of space in that loop meaning you could easily fit THREE pencils in it then this one could possibly come off a bit to easy and you will have to buy IT WITH OUR BUTTON STRAP which then is only good for adult size large and bigger.
Beanie half shell Helmets - We also have one for Beanie half shell helmets with a smaller cut out - since most all half shell helmets have very thin strapping , it simply hooks to the thin fabric strap loop that holds the D-Rings on - please make sure you can fit one minimum or more pencils in the fabric loop that holds the D-rings on , and you have the thin

Aluminum, instead of plastic is a good start, so I pulled the $20.95 trigger on the chrome. Shipping was quick 3 days, and it was free.

It arrived today, and it's well made, installation was easy enough, and it works as advertised.

SIDENOTE: the logo is a sticker, so it's easily removed.

I like the convenience of a quick release buckle, and to have one made of aluminum instead of plastic, so I'm going to order more for my other helmets.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2016, 10:59 AM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Matter of preference...

My street helmet is a Schuberth, which has a ratchet-style quick release. I liked the idea before getting it, but now that I've experienced it I find I like the D ring on my race helmet better.

Cool idea, though. I'd be interested in finding out how long it lasts, since aluminum work-hardens and gets brittle very easily (there's a reason why springs aren't made of aluminum). You're going to be flexing those tabs every time you fasten/unfasten that clip.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2016, 11:42 AM   #3
Ghostt
in your machine

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

The tabs are spring loaded, but metal fatigue is a valid point, but I went with a metal style, opposed to plastic which had a tab you depressed and cause the plastic to fatigue at the flexing point.

Either way movement causes stress, wear, etc..... I was looking for longevity, and strength.

Time will tell.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old April 20th, 2016, 12:04 PM   #4
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Oh, that's cool.

So the triangular bits are separate, captured pieces, probably with small coil springs (like ballpoint pen springs) under them.

That should last forever. Nicely done. The only failure mode I can see is dirt getting in there and binding it up, which is unlikely.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2016, 12:06 PM   #5
Ghostt
in your machine

Exactly

ZX-2R BLOG

Old April 20th, 2016, 03:21 PM   #6
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
I bought the Echo Quick Release in October 2012. I'm happy with it so far.

It has a plastic retainer around it, but uses interlocking metal loops to actually hold the straps together when it's worn.

I'm sure it's not really an issue, but I don't like that there's a notch in the RydeWear's bar so that it can slip into the D-ring loop. It just seems (to my exaggerating mind) like the strap could just pop out.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2016, 04:43 PM   #7
Ghostt
in your machine

Another good point, but it was a PITA to get it on, the gap isn't that big I'm guessing 1/8" at the most. I would worry more about the tabs breaking, but it seems pretty sturdy.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old April 24th, 2016, 10:18 AM   #8
Ghostt
in your machine

Pulled the trigger on another one.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old April 28th, 2016, 03:49 PM   #9
Ghostt
in your machine

Second one arrived today.

ZX-2R BLOG