ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old June 5th, 2011, 03:02 PM   #1
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cab

Motorcycle(s): Blue 10 250r

My brake pads disappeared?

Was at track day today, I knew my breaks were not new, but i din't notice how bad! I rode to the track no problem, passed inspection no problem, like I said the pads were not new by any means but they were still functional, lol. I was braking way way hard into turn 8 at Homestead, felt the back end coming up, then the front kind of loosen up the brakes felt super mushy. I came right into the pit, and sure enough metal on metal no pads at all! Luckily I didn't scratch up the rotor because I came into pit right away.

Bad news, had to ride all the way home 30+ miles with no front brakes. Well, I lucked out big time because I only had to come to a complete stop 3 times total. lol

Shopping cart: High performance break pads, steel braided lines.
Cab305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2011, 03:07 PM   #2
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
You need a checklist for trackdays.

Brakes are fairly cheap. Breaks can be expensive.

I can't believe you ride to the track! How do you get your "stuff" there?

Old June 5th, 2011, 03:24 PM   #3
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Brakes are fairly cheap. Breaks can be expensive.
Lol, yes indeed.

Had no choice, no truck, no trailer, no ride. Plus the finances are tight didn't want to rent u-haul again (too expensive last time). So I drove a few things to different people on saturday, then just packed up the rest + lots and lots of fluids into a bigass backpack. Did all the prep (removed turn signals, taped up lights, etc...) at the track during novice meeting. (I know the drill already)

Like i said, riding home with no brakes was doo doo, so it's an extra incentive not to wreck.

Old June 6th, 2011, 05:47 AM   #4
Bueller999
Oldie but a goodie

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 650r, 06 SV 650 race, 08 250r race, 03 Buell XB9s, 01 KTM 300 EXC

You may not have had the tools to do a swap but you could have swapped out the rears to the front to get you home.

ABRacing
Bueller999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2011, 05:50 AM   #5
tiggen
ninjette.org guru

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2003 250

Were they stock pads? A buddy I pitted with about six weeks ago had the rear brake pad delaminate from the metal backing. Still had plenty of life left, it just fell apart. This was on an old gen, don't know what year, but I think they are the same stock pads.
tiggen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2011, 03:19 PM   #6
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

#1 on my check list everytime I go to the track is to check the pads. I swap them every 6 or so track days.

Old June 6th, 2011, 09:32 PM   #7
Kawi_LA
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawi 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrack157 View Post
#1 on my check list everytime I go to the track is to check the pads. I swap them every 6 or so track days.
really?!? every 6 or so trackdays

i've been racing the ninja for 2 years now and have only switched out the brake pads once, very recently, and only because i upgraded them. the ones that came off still have plenty of life and are kept as an extra set just in case now. i definitely agree about checking everything like brake pads before you hit the track, but every 6 track days is just over kill. not to mention, its a ninja 250!!! there really shouldn't be that much hard braking going on.
Kawi_LA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2011, 09:44 PM   #8
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

I'm a vesrah distributor so I can get away with it. Bare in mind my typical track day logs more miles than others. I also said or so track days. Its not always 6 i go thru about 4 sets per year. They can still have life on the pads but not brake as efficiently.

Old June 6th, 2011, 11:35 PM   #9
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

I thought they had a little more life. They were the stock, 7 months old. I've only used them for one other track day, and I don't ride very often, maybe 1 or 2 times a week, and not aggressive at all.

They felt fine for the first 3 sessions (plus the ride to track), then had that weird thing happen half way through the fourth session. I was going to call on you tomorrow ztrack, need to inquire about a couple of items. Mainly the Vesrah pads, at least 2 sets. Do you have any predator rear sets in stock?

Also the front spring tensioners.

Thanks

Old June 8th, 2011, 05:31 AM   #10
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

My rear brake ran out of material unexpectedly before 7K miles when I do the majority of my braking on the front. I pretty much took it straight to a dealer a few miles away and only used my front brake but the damage was done. At 20K miles a service tech told me that the rear rotor needed to be replaced ASAP because of abnormal wear caused by metal-on-metal contact. Sure enough, you can feel a wave of concentric circular rings worn into it when the front is perfectly flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggen View Post
Were they stock pads? A buddy I pitted with about six weeks ago had the rear brake pad delaminate from the metal backing. Still had plenty of life left, it just fell apart. This was on an old gen, don't know what year, but I think they are the same stock pads.
They are different.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2011, 07:11 AM   #11
tiggen
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post

They are different.
Yeah, I checked. I was confusing that with the fact that they are the same front and rear, per each bike.

Old June 8th, 2011, 07:12 AM   #12
tiggen
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrack157 View Post
I'm a vesrah distributor so I can get away with it. Bare in mind my typical track day logs more miles than others. I also said or so track days. Its not always 6 i go thru about 4 sets per year. They can still have life on the pads but not brake as efficiently.
So what do you do with all those old pads? I need a set for my rear caliper.

Old June 10th, 2011, 09:13 PM   #13
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Normally sell them on craigslist for $15.